Jpizzle

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

66,607 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

F*ck 'em. They like liberal/progressive votes but like corporate donations a lot more. There's no reason why the Blue Wave should not have moved the party hard to the left or resulted in a huge grass roots effort to appeal to voters. But rather than embrace the reasons why it occurred, they're telling progressive voices to shut up and follow the leader. It's the opposite of what happened when the Tea Party highjacked the Republican Party. And it's going to blow up spectacularly in 2020 or 2022.

Their primary objective will always be maintaining their donor lists.

2 minutes ago, Wokezone said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ex-envoy-trump-ukraine-transcripts

Former U.S. envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker, according to transcripts released Tuesday, pushed back on the claim that President Trump sought to withhold a meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky until Kiev committed to investigate allegations concerning the 2016 election -- while also denying that Trump was seeking “dirt” on former Vice President Joe Biden.

The transcripts, though, also reflect officials' concerns about the involvement of Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani in seeking politically related investigations out of Ukraine. Further, they offer varying accounts of whether a quid pro quo of some kind -- involving either a meeting or the release of U.S. military aid -- may have been presented.

In a transcript of his closed-door deposition last month with lawmakers conducting the impeachment probe, Volker was asked if Trump withheld or delayed a meeting with Zelensky absent a pledge to probe concerns Ukraine had interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

“The answer to the question is no, if you want a yes-or-no answer. But the reason the answer is no is we did have difficulty scheduling a meeting, but there was no linkage like that,” he said.

Recently revealed text messages showed Volker appearing to link the investigations to a D.C. visit by Zelensky. The deposition transcript seems to reflect Volker asserting the contrary.

House Democrats have established an impeachment inquiry to investigate the circumstances surrounding President Trump’s July 25 call with Zelensky, in which he urged him to “look into” allegations surrounding the 2016 election and the Biden family’s activities in the country.

Democrats have alleged that a quid pro quo took place, with Trump leveraging military aid until the Ukrainians investigated the claims. Trump and Zelensky have claimed that no pressure was placed on them.

However, acting U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Bill Taylor recently testified that the White House was willing to hold up both military aid and a prospective White House meeting to extract a public announcement from the country that probes were underway.

“By mid-July it was becoming clear to me that the meeting President Zelensky wanted was conditioned on the investigations of Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 U.S. elections,” Taylor testified, referring to Burisma Holdings -- a Ukrainian energy firm where Joe Biden’s son Hunter sat on the board. A transcript of the July call shows Trump sought an investigation concerning Joe Biden’s involvement in seeking the ouster of a prosecutor looking into that firm.

Volker’s testimony, along with that of former E.U. Ambassador Gordon Sondland, was released Tuesday amid increasing calls from Republicans for the impeachment inquiry to be more open and transparent. They have accused Democrats of running “Soviet-style” hearings behind closed doors. Democrats have shot back, accusing the GOP of focusing on process rather than the president’s conduct.

The problem is that Sondland amended his testimony to say that he told Ukraine that they wouldn’t get military aid without a public statement investigating the Bidens.  

Quid pro quo.

HolyMoses likes this

6 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Their primary objective will always be maintaining their donor lists.

For some reason, I'd prefer to think that instead of them being better than the Republicans, the Republicans are worse than them. If they were better than the Republicans, there would have been a better version of the ACA in place instead of what we got. Once again, lobbyist loot came through. There are decent people in the party but leadership contains none of them. I have a much harder time saying that about the GOP in light of their lock step nut polishing to keep Dear Leader in place to continue ruining the country.

Paula Whte-Supremacist is spreading her magic in the Whites House. When they make the movie about this presidency, it's going to be interesting if they can squeeze it into three hours or less. Also whether it'll be a comedy or tragedy.

12 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

For some reason, I'd prefer to think that instead of them being better than the Republicans, the Republicans are worse than them. If they were better than the Republicans, there would have been a better version of the ACA in place instead of what we got. Once again, lobbyist loot came through. There are decent people in the party but leadership contains none of them. I have a much harder time saying that about the GOP in light of their lock step nut polishing to keep Dear Leader in place to continue ruining the country.

Republicans understand politics as an exercise of power better than Dems.

3 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Paula Whte-Supremacist is spreading her magic in the Whites House. When they make the movie about this presidency, it's going to be interesting if they can squeeze it into three hours or less. Also whether it'll be a comedy or tragedy.

Joaquin Phoenix will win an Oscar for acting as...her.

58 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

BTW: You know that the Republican party did change about half a century ago, right?

The old Dixiecrat argument and revisionists history. Let's go back a 100 years, Democrat Wilson was a racists (and Klan supporter) and didn't want women to get the vote...run that by BS by some of your Lemming friends, not old WFW. 

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The old Dixiecrat argument and revisionists history. Let's go back a 100 years, Democrat Wilson was a racists (and Klan supporter) and didn't want women to get the vote...run that by BS by some of your Lemming friends, not old WFW. 

There's not a cloud in the sky, creep. Stop peeing on my leg.

Scrunchomarx likes this

7 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

He has to keep his evangelical base on the hook for votes is why she's there.

Trump's as Christian as Michael Corleone was.

54 minutes ago, kicker said:

Ive never understood the “voting against their self interests” mindset here.  It’s always applied to poor whites.  If college educated whites support a democrat, arguably voting against what would likely be lower personal taxes, they are considered enlightened.  

It is only applied to one side. I had this discussion with my wife a few weeks back. She said something to the extent of "I don't know how or why they can vote against their own interests!" in regards to one of our couple friends who are big into the GOP. They don't have a lot of money, have like 9 kids ranging from 24 to 9 months, collect WIC, etc. Dude earns like $13/hr. Huge Trump people.

I explained, they could say the same about us. I make good money, we live in the burbs, got very little debt, have health insurance, etc. But we actively vote to raise our own taxes, limit carbon emissions (my WRX gets like 15 mpg now), etc.

The difference is, one group looks out for "me" and one looks out for "us". They think about their situation and they want to improve themselves. We look at our situation and think that more people should live the same way we do.

Just now, Statick said:

He has to keep his evangelical base on the hook for votes is why she's there.

Trump's as Christian as Michael Corleone was.

Not even close, IMO. Michael Corleone was raised in the Catholic church and probably knew the Bible front to back. The mob has always maintained an ostensible relationship with morality (for example: can't sleep with another made man's wife, have to respect members and friends of other families). They were twisted as **** but honestly thought that they were good Catholics. Trump couldn't name a Bible verse that influences him. Both were crooked and reprehensible, but Corleone probably believed he was a Christian and Trump harbors no such illusions about himself.

HolyMoses and Statick like this

15 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

She's Tilton level of nuts...

6 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

I hate being asked to buy overpriced cookies, candy, Christmas cards or restaurant coupons for charity. Give me a charity receipt and I'll probably give you $20 before I'm likely to spend $5 for a tiny box of Girl Scout cookies. You'd get $20 for your cause instead of taking .75 off the top for your cause.

My brother raises money for the high school basketball team he coaches. It amazes me that he hawks trinkets for a tiny profit instead of simply trying to ask for loot.