Jpizzle

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

66,007 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

These stats reaffirm my thought that when white folks get mad they get to elect a president but we got to march protest and maybe burn some **** down. If that ain’t white privilege I don’t know what is. 

3 minutes ago, Scrunchomarx said:

These stats reaffirm my thought that when white folks get mad they get to elect a president but we got to march protest and maybe burn some **** down. If that ain’t white privilege I don’t know what is. 

Chico got it all figured out...Mmm Hmm

Some excerpts from this past Sunday's Meet The Press for consideration for the impeachment enthusiasts:

CHUCK TODD:

While 89% of Democrats approve of the impeachment inquiry, just 9% of Republicans do. 58% of Independents support the inquiry - but only 43% of independents believe the president should be removed from office. Also, the calendar presents an additional messaging challenge, with just three months before primary voting begins.

~~~~~~~~

CHUCK TODD:

It's interesting that you said public opinion is everything here. So do you feel as if you almost have two challenges? What, you can lay out the case in -- in -- in a perhaps in a court of law with 12 jurors, you can win your case. But there is, to me, a second bar you have to meet, which is, is what he did egregious enough that he shouldn't be allowed to be on the ballot in 2020? Is that a separate bar?

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meet-press-november-3-2019-n1075816

3 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Some excerpts from this past Sunday's Meet The Press for consideration for the impeachment enthusiasts:

~~~~~~~~

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meet-press-november-3-2019-n1075816

What’s your problem with impeachment?

It is always the same with you:  Marginalize, define, demonize.

Maybe “we” just give a **** about the rule of law And the ideals of our democracy?  

don’t you?

2 minutes ago, Scrunchomarx said:

It reaffirms my thought that for a lot of white people, it doesn't matter if someone else lives under the thumb of someone who hates them. Especially if the owner of said thumb is someone who tells them what they want to hear, either openly or through dog whistles. They couldn't care less about kids in cages, Dreamers or people escaping oppressive lives the same way that their forebears did.

LBJ had it right:

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. ****, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

― Lyndon B. Johnson

Andrews_31 and Scrunchomarx like this

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

There is no house down by the lake. There is a house on the lake, however.

Oh. That must be your van 

My bad

Here are excerpts from the Volker and Sondland testimony:

https://www.motherjones.com/impeachment/2019/11/read-the-transcripts-of-gordon-sondland-and-kurt-volkers-testimonies/

^^^Interesting that these are not complete transcripts.  Instead, they are excerpts broken down by major topics.  So instead of the 350 pages of raw transcripts like yesterday, we have about a dozen pages with relevant excerpts.  Presumably the complete transcripts will be released at some point.

34 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

We also love tits but can't show them on TV or in public.

Exactly... Think The walking deads: apparent bowels, guts, decapitation, putrefied bodies, exploding skulls... but show a boob and America is shocked by such immorality...

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

It reaffirms my thought that for a lot of white people, it doesn't matter if someone else lives under the thumb of someone who hates them. Especially if the owner of said thumb is someone who tells them what they want to hear, either openly or through dog whistles. They couldn't care less about kids in cages, Dreamers or people escaping oppressive lives the same way that their forebears did.

LBJ had it right:

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. ****, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

― Lyndon B. Johnson

Yup and all they got to do is stoke that rage 

6 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

What’s your problem with impeachment?

I've always thought it's a better strategy to focus on beating Trump at the ballot box. Or if you're gonna impeach him, then impeach him for stuff like the concentration camps at the border.

In his supplemental declaration, Ambassador Sondland stated that “by the beginning of September 2019, and in the absence of any credible explanation for the suspension of aid, I presumed that the aid suspension had become linked to the proposed anti-corruption statement” and “it would have been natural for me to have voiced what I had presumed to Ambassador Taylor, Senator Johnson, the Ukrainians, and Mr. Morrison.” Ambassador Sondland acknowledged telling one of President Zelensky’s advisors in Warsaw that “resumption of U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks.” (Decl. Page 2)

HolyMoses likes this

5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

LBJ had it right:

― Lyndon B. Johnson

LBJ, old white racist POTUS. It's amazing how much the Dems haven't changed in a century and a half.

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

In his supplemental declaration, Ambassador Sondland stated that “by the beginning of September 2019, and in the absence of any credible explanation for the suspension of aid, I presumed that the aid suspension had become linked to the proposed anti-corruption statement” and “it would have been natural for me to have voiced what I had presumed to Ambassador Taylor, Senator Johnson, the Ukrainians, and Mr. Morrison.” Ambassador Sondland acknowledged telling one of President Zelensky’s advisors in Warsaw that “resumption of U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks.” (Decl. Page 2)

Isn't there some evidence that the "anti-corruption statement" had to specifically mention Biden? 

1 minute ago, Billy Ocean said:

I've always thought it's a better strategy to focus on beating Trump at the ballot box. Or if you're gonna impeach him, the impeach him for stuff like the concentration camps at the border.

The concentration camps probably are not beyond the scope of his powers. For any other president, there are probably a dozen acts by Trump that qualify as high crimes and misdemeanors. But you can't impeach him for moral depravity, especially when the GOP and a significant portion of the country is perfectly fine with treating Others like they are less than human. The best part of Trump's presidency is that we can stop pretending that things like equality and fairness are American values. They aren't, never were and never will be. The worst thing about it is learning that so many people are copacetic with it. Finally let us in on the inside joke.

5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

LBJ had it right:

― Lyndon B. Johnson

As the comments in the original tweet stated, exit polls do education, education by race, and income -- but not income by race. And age is another important metric, as "White, no college" implies different things depending on whether you're picturing an under-40 person who is struggling, or a retiree homeowner who grew up when college was unnecessary to get decent work.

But in any event, Dems are gonna have to do a better job appealing to the white working class in order to win the electoral college.

JayOzOne likes this

3 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

LBJ, old white racist POTUS. It's amazing how much the Dems haven't changed in a century and a half.

Johnson was an old white racist POTUS. On that we can agree. But it doesn't sap any truth from his statement, which sadly is just as true today as it was 50 years ago. What is your definition of "racist", by the way?

5 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Isn't there some evidence that the "anti-corruption statement" had to specifically mention Biden? 

I’ve not seen that.  Here’s some more from Volker...

Mr. Giuliani was “interested in Biden” and “Vice President Biden’s son,” but Ambassador Volker “pushed back” because Mr. Giuliani’s theory had been debunked. (Page 331-332)

Q: So is it your testimony that you understood that Rudy Giuliani’s desire for the Ukrainian Government to investigate Burisma had to do with potential money laundering or other criminal conduct by the company itself, and not in connection to either Joe or Hunter Biden?

A: No. I believe that Giuliani was interested in Biden, Vice President Biden’s son Biden [sic], and I had pushed back on that, and I was maintaining that distinction.

Q: So you were maintaining that distinction, because you understood that that whole
theory had been debunked and there was no evidence to support it, right?

A: Yes.

HolyMoses likes this

43 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Welp, there goes yet another Trump talking point....

Sondland Updates Impeachment Testimony, Describing Ukraine Quid Pro Quo

In a substantial update to his initial account, Gordon D. Sondland recounted how he told Ukrainian officials military aid was tied to their commitment to investigations President Trump wanted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/05/us/politics/impeachment-trump.html

They can almost feel the broom...

4 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

I've always thought it's a better strategy to focus on beating Trump at the ballot box. Or if you're gonna impeach him, then impeach him for stuff like the concentration camps at the border.

And not to be a broken record, but he made the phone call that set this off literally first thing after Fox and Friends the day after the Mueller hearings. He had a summary of the phone call ready to go within a day of the story breaking. He created this whole scenario, and we're not supposed to notice that it's probably intentional if it keeps happening the same way, and benefiting Trump the same way, because the media's going to keep on pretending no one would ever think that.

Leon Troutsky likes this

6 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Johnson was an old white racist POTUS. On that we can agree. But it doesn't sap any truth from his statement, which sadly is just as true today as it was 50 years ago. What is your definition of "racist", by the way?

Add the other 100 years on and I agree with everything you said.