Jpowors

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

48,375 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

If I had my own board, I wouldn’t ban people for posting stuff I disagree with.  If that’s how you think I would run a board then you don’t really know me very well.

No, that part was jokes. But seriously having your own board sounds like a good idea considering you regularly go on multi-page lectures where you come across as a pompous *** and you end up convincing no one who wasn't already on your side. But on the on the other hand, the leftists vs liberals fights are often a welcome respite from the anti-Trump circle jerk. 

WhenFalconsWin likes this

9 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

Uh, that's been your well-documented, stated position on multiple occasions barring any attempt at post edits.

I've been yelled at for the better part of a year over pushing for impeachment and now I'm being accused of thinking it won't work.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

It's because those two weren't left-wing, let alone extremists, and that line of thinking needs to die. They were bad candidates with negative charisma. Simple as that.

Material conditions definitely plays the most significant role in elections. That's why I think having a candidate like Sanders or Warren would give the Dems their best shot: They do the best job of recognizing and addressing those needs. The rest of the field, imo, falls woefully short there.

They were running against Republicans during a time of economic boom.  That’s why they lost.  The economy is also why McGovern lost.

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

I've been yelled at for the better part of a year over pushing for impeachment and now I'm being accused of thinking it won't work.

Incorrect on both points. I'm simply stating the factual record as a segue into my comment on the 2020 race. If you felt personally attacked, please accept my apology.

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4070622-not-the-new-donald-trump-presidency-thread/?do=findComment&comment=11475315

7 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

giphy.gif

I never yelled at you, in fact, I support your efforts, but not for the same reasons you wish.

1 minute ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

Incorrect on both points. I'm simply stating the factual record as a segue into my comment on the 2020 race. If you felt personally attacked, please accept my apology.

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4070622-not-the-new-donald-trump-presidency-thread/?do=findComment&comment=11475315

There is no 2020 race, well technically speaking, people who think so believe in unicorns who can shoot rainbows out their *****.

9 minutes ago, Serge said:

Sounds like Knocked Loose.  

I got into the pit the other day and I still feel like I have bruised ribs..pains all over....even cuts.  Too old for that ish!

Serge likes this

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

They don’t have a point.  Trump’s the product of a lot of things.  Centrists are not one of them.

he definitely is. 

Trump's really hard to watch. His mouth, teeth, tongue, and lips are, like, assaulting my eyes. That plus his voice... it's... disturbing.

36 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

Gotta live Tulsi going Democrat rogue. About time someone from the same party gave Hillary her what for.

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

They don’t have a point.  Trump’s the product of a lot of things.  Centrists are not one of them.

He is a product of Fox News.  

Just now, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

Trump's really hard to watch. His mouth, teeth, tongue, and lips are, like, assaulting my eyes. That plus his voice... it's... disturbing.

Ew he just did this really nasty tongue move. ewwwwww, he's licking his lips.

36 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

On the off chance that @Psychic Gibbon is incorrect and Trump DOES get impeached by the House, and Trump subsequently resigns or is removed, Dem's need to look at the field with the POSSIBILITY that they will not be running against Trump. Framing, matchups, etc. It's something to be PREPARED for, not something that's an inevitability.

This is some dumb*** she-it here. The fact you even half believe this...ah forget about it, you cannot help some people.

I guess Trump is trying to shield Zuckerberg from press coverage. He's being as slow as possible. MSNBC needs to swap to Zuckerberg.

56 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I’ve never said that either candidate lost because of their ideology.  I’ve only said that ideological extremity makes it more difficult to win, and the evidence bears that out although newer evidence suggests the effect is smaller than previous studies showed.

As for the bolded part, that’s not even remotely true.  McGovern’s positions were not at all with his own party’s base supporters, let alone the general public.  This is from a recent study...

10-1177-0002716216660571-fig1.gif

The authors also create a measure of these positions relative to the party base and to the general public.  They test around five different ways of measuring candidate ideology and relative ideology, and all of them produce the same results.  (Note that in this measure McGovern is slightly more extreme than Goldwater.)  For the relative measure, they also found that Goldwater and McGovern were the two most extreme candidates, but they also found that Reagan in 80 was far more extreme than the Republican base.  

So yet again, even the most recent studies confirm what the data I presented before showed — McGovern was ideologically extreme, both in absolute terms and relative to their party’s bases.  

And I’ve already spent too much time rehashing this whole thing.  As I said, there are far more important things going on than this.

can you provide a link for the study that graph comes from? the suggestion that the republicans barely moved from 80 to 12 is making me extremely skeptical of the methodology. 

1 minute ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

I guess Trump is trying to shield Zuckerberg from press coverage. He's being as slow as possible. MSNBC needs to swap to Zuckerberg.

@HolyMoses this seems bad.

20 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

They were running against Republicans during a time of economic boom.  That’s why they lost.  The economy is also why McGovern lost.

That is a big reason as to why they lost. It doesn't, however, explain the blowouts. We've both gone over McGovern enough to explain his blowout loss, but Mondale and Dukakis were particularly weak candidates going against very strong ones, one of which ushered in a realignment of the party systems.