Jpowors

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

57,144 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

It was a straight flush.  You had a public that was tired of eight years of Dem control, you had some major campaign events like the Comey letter happen at the last minute, and you have an economic populism message from an outsider candidate, and yes you had Russian interference.  

We'll likely have interference this time around, but the public is more knowledgeable about it existing and Trump is neck deep in it.  The public is tired of the GOP President, so Dems aren't fighting uphill this time.  Trump's the one fighting up hill, instead.  We don't have the Comey stuff.  And Trump's economic populism is failing spectacularly with the trade wars and harm to agriculture and other sectors of the economy.  Manufacturing is actually in a recession now.

Given those changing circumstances, Trump's not likely to draw a full house, let alone a straight flush.  

Good thing the media, the government, and other monied interests aren't gonna **** the Democratic nominee like they ****** Hillary, right? Hahaha shoot me.

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I agree with the need to codify some of these things, but I'd also like point out that this is why I pushed back so hard at people on these boards (not you, I don't think) running around mocking people with things like "mah norms!" and otherwise downplaying the importance of having informal norms.

Those informal norms are in many ways more important for sustaining democracy than formal laws.  And there has to be a political/electoral penalty for violating them.  If both sides are willing to tear down those norms then our democracy will very quickly collapse, because at that point it just becomes an all-or-nothing battle for power.  Democrats and progressives cannot go around snarking about "muh norms!" because those norms are extremely important.  

As it turned out, it only took one side to look the other way regarding norms.  Few suspected that the GOP would be in lock step with a president who is so blatantly corrupt and indifferent toward the welfare of the nation. Personally, I suspected that they would and I am sorry I was correct.

Those norms are extremely important. But they were respected by even the worst previous president because every one until now expressed respect the country and the office, even if they were willing to cheat to take the reins. Your first sign of a problem with a candidate should be his willingness to be transparent and failing to provide tax returns was a huge red flag. The next sign should be an understanding of the problems facing the nation and suggestions that he knew more about the Middle East than the generals was another huge red flag.

I'm not even going to mention someone who curses in official events, surrounds himself with criminals, has a history of bankruptcy in addition to cheating employees, contractors and creditors, proclaims that it's smart to cheat on your taxes, has a credit rating that belongs in the toilet and proclaims himself to be a genius with little proof of it. Those norms were respected by most of those who didn't belong to the Cult of Personality. But those folks vote too. Who would have thunk it?

8 minutes ago, Serge said:

Good thing the media, the government, and other monied interests aren't gonna **** the Democratic nominee like they ****** Hillary, right? Hahaha shoot me.

Even Bernie saw it when he responded in debates to "I don't care about her **** emails." It's so transparent, but the MSM wanted to screw her over.

This is also why I take offense to people attacking Warren for "message discipline" when she refuses to engage in ******** back and forth with interviewers like Chris Matthews.

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

A reminder that this is the guy that Zuckerberg just had meetings with and considered a "thought leader".

You can always tell the tree by the fruit it bears. Who doesn't believe Tucker is a white supremacist? Or Laura Ingraham and Rupert Murdoch? He may say otherwise but you'd have to be a fool to believe someone about that. It's like saying "I'm not lying" or "I'm a very stable genius". They're just words.

3 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

Even Bernie saw it when he responded in debates to "I don't care about her **** emails." It's so transparent, but the MSM wanted to screw her over.

This is also why I take offense to people attacking Warren for "message discipline" when she refuses to engage in ******** back and forth with interviewers like Chris Matthews.

Mainstream media heads saw a blowout coming and knew that their best chance to monetize the 2016 election was to put some drama into it. They ignored the lack of  tax returns, Trump foundation scandals, real-life impact of Trump University fraud, years of bankruptcy and racist behavior and a barge load of misrepresentation of facts and outright lies in order to make it seem as if the DNC was scandal-ridden and guilty of criminal behavior instead of the victims in the coverage of stolen and unverified emails.

Warren's message discipline has been why she was my favorite from very early. How lazy do you have to be to embark on a run for office without putting your message in writing for all who need to see it? My only problem with her is her inability to say "Yes, you're going to pay more in taxes. But if you're not willing to pay $500 more per year in order to save $400 per month, then maybe you're better off voting for the person who wants to take your health insurance away."

That question is going to continue to come up until she and Bernie stop stammering when they answer it. She's bold in her endorsement of M4A but sheepish in explaining why it's not only a good idea but also a good deal. Really needs to shore that up.

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this

1 minute ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

The media's practically already told us they're going to stick it to Bernie. Warren's already on Zuckerberg's **** list in addition to other billionaires that don't want someone that progressive. And Biden's going to have enough **** surrounding him that the media's never going to run out of things to talk about. And they're all going to have to deal with Trump and Russian hackers gaslighting their potential voters.

4 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Stephen A Smith should be dragged like this every day. 

Stephen A. Smith, Jason Whitlock and occasionally Colin Cowherd are trolls with little of value to say. At least Cowherd admits that he's paid for clicks and reactions, not for how right his opinions are. He's transparent with his self-awareness. The other two are disingenuous to the extreme and formulate their opinions and reactions based mostly on how many people they can piss off without letting on how they are more entertainers than pundits.

falconsd56 likes this

33 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

A reminder that this is the guy that Zuckerberg just had meetings with and considered a "thought leader".

Zuckerberg is the most dangerous person on the planet that doesn't have an actual army at his command.

Scrunchomarx, Serge, AF89 and 1 other like this

Thought it was interesting that Black Lives Matter made the hit list. Of all of them, it was the most out of context.

2 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

Not gonna lie, I always had a feeling that Bolton would blow the lid on the whole thing.

Kept a digital voice recorder under the 'stache the whole time he was there. They never suspected a thing.

HolyMoses and Sancho like this

Just now, JayOzOne said:

Kept a digital voice recorder under the 'stache the whole time he was there. They never suspected a thing.

He's like the only person with a SPINE (besides McMaster and arguably Mattis) within Trump's "orbit" that also had his own *** to cover, unlike the military people (minus felonious Flynn).

2 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Zuckerberg is the most dangerous person on the planet that doesn't have an actual army at his command.

Beyond a doubt. He didn't even attempt to be forthright during his Congressional appearance (and I wonder if he actually got back on the things that he "couldn't answer right now"). I was probably going to delete FB anyway but now I'm more comfortable and resolute that I have to.

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this

Theres so much to unpack with this Turkey/ Syria war. Goodness theres alot of moving parts. Theres also a lot of failures. The kind of failures with repercussion  that we wont fully realize for another 10 years or so. 

1 minute ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

He's like the only person with a SPINE (besides McMaster and arguably Mattis) within Trump's "orbit" that also had his own *** to cover, unlike the military people (minus felonious Flynn).

Trump's you didn't quit because I fired you BS didn't play well. Should have known this dude kept receipts and holds grudges. Liberals have the same problem with Bolton that they had with Comey: wanting to see a potential ally (if not savior) in a man who is reprehensible to his core.

"Good job, but stab me if you think I'm going to give you a high five, you contemptible ***hole."

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this

2 minutes ago, Wokezone said:

Theres so much to unpack with this Turkey/ Syria war. Goodness theres alot of moving parts. Theres also a lot of failures. The kind of failures with repercussion  that we wont fully realize for another 10 years or so. 

Some of the people of Pompeii said something similar about the eruption of Vesuvius.

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this

3 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Trump's you didn't quit because I fired you BS didn't play well. Should have known this dude kept receipts and holds grudges. Liberals have the same problem with Bolton that they had with Comey: wanting to see a potential ally (if not savior) in a man who is reprehensible to his core.

"Good job, but stab me if you think I'm going to give you a high five, you contemptible ***hole."

It's why Trump has kept Rudy around for so long. He needs people "stupider" than him so they don't outsmart him. It's why Michael Cohen also stood around. I'm not sure what happened with Manafort, he ultimately went down for NON-Trump related crimes. So that was his undoing.

10 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Beyond a doubt. He didn't even attempt to be forthright during his Congressional appearance (and I wonder if he actually got back on the things that he "couldn't answer right now"). I was probably going to delete FB anyway but now I'm more comfortable and resolute that I have to.

I still can't... there are a few reasons... I wish I could... maybe I can.

2 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

It's why Trump has kept Rudy around for so long. He needs people "stupider" than him so they don't outsmart him. It's why Michael Cohen also stood around. I'm not sure what happened with Manafort, he ultimately went down for NON-Trump related crimes. So that was his undoing.

It is hard to believe that in the '80s, Rudy was one of my heroes for what he did to take down the NYC mob. Couldn't stand him as the mayor of New York, though. Didn't think an Italian who scoured the worst of Italian/Sicilian criminal element become the most blatant race-bashing politico in the country was kind of shocking. To see someone who could do the unthinkable as a prosecutor become a cackling jackal with no morals or credibility is nothing short of unnerving. His story arc is like a DC supervillain. And I can't stand DC.

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this

6 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

I still can't... there are a few reasons... I wish I could... maybe I can.

I connect with people whom I haven't seen in decades. People I love and miss dearly. But I gotta do it for myself.

14 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Some of the people of Pompeii said something similar about the eruption of Vesuvius.

Incorrect