Jpizzle

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

66,690 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

Look on the bright side guys, we don't have to watch baseball for at least like 6 more months

In spite of myself, I'll miss it.  :sadwave:

5 minutes ago, Stan Grossman said:

Because they've done it before.  What they've not done in recent years is break the bank for the single biggest free agent on the market.

Unlike some of the past years where some of the big teams have sat out the huge free agent sweepstakes, I just don't see that being the case with Cole.  There's just no chance we end up with him.

Kakes, on the other hand?  There is plenty of chance that the team will decide that Pache and Waters (1) aren't quite ready to start the season or even if they are, (2) need to stay down for awhile for service time considerations, meaning we'll need a vet fill-in for awhile.  Not hard to imagine that Kakes, who has started for years despite not being good, might be signed for a cheap contract and trotted back out there.

There would be a chance of them re-signing Markakis if they didn't have two star caliber OF prospects waiting in the wings and they didn't have Inciarte, who now has no trade value, to be the 4th OF. As it stands, he offers no value. He can't start anymore and he can barely play corner OF so he isn't a versatile backup. Likewise, he'd cost more than the prospects combined and if teams have the option to be cheap then they're going to be cheap.

2 minutes ago, Stan Grossman said:

Would be nice to see some of those players who called Acuna out come to his defense with this ****.

Put one in Flaherty’s earhole if that’s how it’s gonna be. 

AF89 likes this

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

There would be a chance of them re-signing Markakis if they didn't have two star caliber OF prospects waiting in the wings and they didn't have Inciarte, who now has no trade value, to be the 4th OF. As it stands, he offers no value. He can't start anymore and he can barely play corner OF so he isn't a versatile backup. Likewise, he'd cost more than the prospects combined.

Again, you speaking somewhat rationally.  But who is the starting outfield next spring?  Do you really think they'll bring up either Pache or Waters opening day?  I would love it, but it's not going to happen.  So you have Acuna, Inciarte, and who?  Joyce?  Duvall?  I doubt they're going to trust those guys, and for whatever reason, they've trusted Kakes.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but it's like 98% more likely than Cole.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Put one in Flaherty’s earhole if that’s how it’s gonna be. 

I don't like throwing at guys, ever.  Just would be nice to see a few guys come out of the dugout and act a bit riled up.

Just now, Stan Grossman said:

I don't like throwing at guys, ever.  Just would be nice to see a few guys come out of the dugout and act a bit riled up.

I don’t either. But I’m a fan of playing by the rules the other team establishes. 

Just now, Stan Grossman said:

Again, you speaking somewhat rationally.  But who is the starting outfield next spring?  Do you really think they'll bring up either Pache or Waters opening day?  I would love it, but it's not going to happen.  So you have Acuna, Inciarte, and who?  Joyce?  Duvall?  I doubt they're going to trust those guys, and for whatever reason, they've trusted Kakes.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but it's like 98% more likely than Cole.

I think they're reworking that loophole this offseason. If not then they'll let Inciarte start and get some scrub on a minor league deal to fill in until then, like they did with Acuna.

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

I think they're reworking that loophole this offseason. If not then they'll let Inciarte start and get some scrub on a minor league deal to fill in until then, like they did with Acuna.

Manwë willing.

1 minute ago, Carter said:

This is fine. This is great.

Maybe in the future when robots have stolen all our jobs we can maybe get paid for all the private information being forcefully given to advertisers instead :rolleyes:

Carter likes this

1 minute ago, WOR said:

If I'm Acuna there's no way I'm happy with being teammates with the over 30 crowd. 

Hopefully he's a bigger person than me. 

Thank god we tricked him into signing longterm. Shouldn't have to see him the AL East or LA for at least 3 years (hopefully)

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Newcomb can straight kiss my *** for that. 

I mean, yeah, he gets ejected. But so does Snitker. Addition by subtraction. 

7 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Thank god we tricked him into signing longterm. Shouldn't have to see him the AL East or LA for at least 3 years (hopefully)

They never do jack**** for him when he gets hit, they throw him under the bus, and they generally suck. 

There's some weird dynamic there.... 

JDaveG likes this

5 minutes ago, AF89 said:

They can retool this **** and be better next year, this isn't like the Falcons where we're about to get locked into not being able to make any big moves aside from keeping the core together every year