Jpowors

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

42,039 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Wokezone said:

It's the Christian perspective nothing to do with hubris

how much do you think the "christian perspective" influences climate change denialism? 

like i said, it is extremely dangerous to suggest we lack the capability of destroying ourselves or blindly believing we simply won't. it's playing russian roulette with a pistol. it's nonsense, and it will put us down the path of destruction. 

Door Gunner likes this

Just now, achilles return said:

how much do you think the "christian perspective" influences climate change denialism? 

like i said, it is extremely dangerous to suggest we lack the capability of destroying ourselves or blindly believing we simply won't. it's playing russian roulette with a pistol. it's nonsense, and it will put us down the path of destruction. 

Quite a bit. Many "pastors" used it to deny climate change was possible while many atheists run the other extreme yelling we are all gonna die.

18 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Soon as I read uninformed I stopped. Sorry I didn't grow up in the "alarmists" caused by our politicians generation. 

You know, create a crisis and then tell the Lemmings the need us "politicians" to fix the crisis.

How long has your buddy Biden been telling you he would fix something for you?  50 years?

Go ahead and fall for the banana in the tailpipe.

TERM LIMITS...because I've evolved 

37 minutes ago, Lou Getchell said:

you are about as uniformed about the state of the environment as anyone

Checks out.

mdrake34 likes this

1 minute ago, Wokezone said:

Quite a bit. Many "pastors" used it to deny climate change was possible while many atheists run the other extreme yelling we are all gonna die.

given that atheists tend to believe this is the only life any of us will ever get, i'd take their concerns about the quality of that life more seriously.

Just now, achilles return said:

given that atheists tend to believe this is the only life any of us will ever get, i'd take their concerns about the quality of that life more seriously.

And therein lies the disagreement 

I think had climate change alarmist took it from.the perspective of pollution and radical seasons rather than we are all gonna burn up in a blaze of glory in 10 years it would have went over very differently 

like even if we were to presuppose christianity's truthfulness, we still lived in a world where well over a hundred million people died from wars and war crimes and crimes against humanity in the 20th century. it stretches credulity to believe that your god would suddenly step in to save the vast multitudes from the man-made ecological disasters of the 21st.

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Change your screen name, WFW is here to tell you that are indeed not woke.

I identify as woke. 

2 minutes ago, Wokezone said:

I think had climate change alarmist took it from.the perspective of pollution and radical seasons rather than we are all gonna burn up in a blaze of glory in 10 years it would have went over very differently 

The funny thing is "alarmists" weren't alarmist when they first started trying to discuss this problems decades ago.  But several decades of inaction combined with a better understanding of the picture and worrying developments regarding ice sheets and the like have not surprisingly got them a bit more worked up now.

Oh, and for what it's worth, plenty of activists have taken the "pollution" angle.  Turns out those who don't give a **** about climate also don't give a **** about the environment generally, and are actively working to curtail efforts in that arena as well.

2 minutes ago, Lou Getchell said:

The funny thing is "alarmists" weren't alarmist when they first started trying to discuss this problems decades ago.  But several decades of inaction combined with a better understanding of the picture and worrying developments regarding ice sheets and the like have not surprisingly got them a bit more worked up now.

Oh, and for what it's worth, plenty of activists have taken the "pollution" angle.  Turns out those who don't give a **** about climate also don't give a **** about the environment generally, and are actively working to curtail efforts in that arena as well.

They were drowned out by the equivalent of climate vegans.  

4 minutes ago, Lou Getchell said:

Alarmists are no different than they were 50 years ago, they just have a better platform to spew their nons nse with 24/7 news and the advent of multiple social media sites.

Oh, and your last paragraph is utter BS nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Wokezone said:

yeah it's our "alarmism" that's the problem. definitely not capital and other moneyed interests controlling the energy industry just pumping decades and decades of ******** propaganda into the right-wing media bubble. 

Just now, Lou Getchell said:

Yeah, that's what happened.

I never not ever heard a climate change activist take any other perspective than all the polar bears are gonna die the ice caps are going to melt and the world will burn 

24 minutes ago, Serge said:

It's not as weird to think about if you never started with the assumption that we're the highest organic intelligence in the universe.

Easy there. Galileo was almost put to death for suggesting the Earth was not the center of the universe (he got lifetime house arrest instead by "admitting" he was wrong). Tread lightly with the holy rollers. 

29 minutes ago, Serge said:

It's not as weird to think about if you never started with the assumption that we're the highest organic intelligence in the universe.

I feel like you are tying to argue but I'm not sure with who