Jpowors

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

55,279 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Serge said:

And Trump people think Trump's going to fix that by making the media such a daily horror show that people tune out completely. America's gotten a lot more dystopian the last couple years and there's plenty of blame to go around without insisting that Trump's WWE-style fight against the media absolves him of anything and everything anyone in the media says about him, which is exactly what wfw wants to do there.

They think it's the only the left wing media that is biased.  Therefore they think what Trump Is doing is good. In one sense it is good. Calling them out on their bogus posting and inability to separate the news from opeds and having them flow right into each other. On the other sense it gives him the authority to determine real and fake news which means anything Negative he can shirk aside as fake and his followers agree with him cause theres been enough fake news to make them ok with it. I blame personally the soundbite news and those posting blatantly fake news for clicks and partisan hackery. They gave him this power.

Edited by Wokezone

2 minutes ago, Wokezone said:

They think it's the only the left wing media that is biased.  Therefore they think what Trump Is doing is good. In one sense it is good. Calling them out on their bogus posting and inability to separate the news from opeds and having them flow right into each other. On the other sense it gives him the authority to determine real and fake news which means anything Negative he can shirk aside as fake and his followers agree with him cause theres been enough fake news to make them ok with it. I blame personally the soundbite news and those posting blatantly fake news for clicks and partisan hackery. They gave him this power.

And he gives them endless content that they can feed to their audiences with a confidence that he'll never leave them without something that they can argue about in those good-and-evil terms. The media isn't going to correct course because of Trump, it's just gonna be an even more broken institution chasing content the same way it does now after he's out of office. That's not because of Trump, it's because the internet's created so many opportunities for small and large content creators to compete for views, which is just how things are now. But Trump's encouraged all the worst qualities in our media by always, always giving them the kind of content that they can respond to in very negative, moralistic terms by making a small assumption based on everything else Trump's said and done prior to that.

The culture itself has to create a better media; Trump's making it worse for his own benefit and has his followers thinking he's actually fighting a war with them by them giving each other exactly what they want.

Wokezone likes this

18 minutes ago, Serge said:

And he gives them endless content that they can feed to their audiences with a confidence that he'll never leave them without something that they can argue about in those good-and-evil terms. The media isn't going to correct course because of Trump, it's just gonna be an even more broken institution chasing content the same way it does now after he's out of office. That's not because of Trump, it's because the internet's created so many opportunities for small and large content creators to compete for views, which is just how things are now. But Trump's encouraged all the worst qualities in our media by always, always giving them the kind of content that they can respond to in very negative, moralistic terms by making a small assumption based on everything else Trump's said and done prior to that.

The culture itself has to create a better media; Trump's making it worse for his own benefit and has his followers thinking he's actually fighting a war with them by them giving each other exactly what they want.

Correct.  It's going to keep getting worse 

Serge likes this

Side note; that's why I don't give Big_Dog a pass for being old. The media got liberals to talk down to people who weren't keeping up with the Russia investigation. There's really no way to even know many lifelong media cynics were created between Russiagate and its aftermath. And you can blame the media for that, and you ought to blame Trump for it, but you've also got to save a little blame for everyone that started consuming a lot of Trump-era political news and decided they needed to start treating people like idiots.

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Also, seriously, does anyone think that Corey Lewandowski has a chance in h*** of winning a Senate race in New Hampshire?  Like, what's the point?

Probably speaking engagements and a book deal

“While such a feat may have seemed inconceivable just 10 years ago, it is our belief that a cold-blooded shooting rampage on the moon is no longer a fantasy,” 

How Shapiro convinced people that he's intelligent is beyond me.

Also, this is the type of person that backing off on this sort of stuff will supposedly win over.

lostone likes this

12 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

How Shapiro convinced people that he's intelligent is beyond me.

Also, this is the type of person that backing off on this sort of stuff will supposedly win over.

He convinced people he's intelligent by starting arguments on controversial topics that his fans and potential fans think he's winning. That's why his cultural footprint consists of internet squabbling, visiting college campuses, some punditry and pundit books, and a bunch of YouTube videos called "Ben Shapiros DESTROYS" whatever.

So I've largely tuned politics out the past few weeks for my own mental health and because I feel like a lot of what's been going on lately is a waste of time.

But I heard the Lewandoski hearing yesterday was a ****show just like a lot of the other hearings Democrats have been doing have been. I just came across this article that sums up so much my frustrations with Democrats pretty well.

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/09/democrats-judiciary-cory-lewandowski-bad/

It is political MALPRACTICE for each and every one of these Congresspeople — with varying levels of preparedness — to waste time in these important hearings while people are paying attention, only letting the real lawyers talk when most people have tuned out.

If Democrats really want to put “country over party,” then they must start with themselves. Congressional oversight of the Trump hearings is not a time for Democrats to run for re-election. Trying to hold a criminal president accountable, and build public support for that accountability, is not a time to get off your packaged one-liner so you have something to put on your official Twitter page. This can’t be Little League Baseball anymore: NOT everybody gets to play. There are more important issues here than making sure each Congressperson has their five minutes to be “seen.”

Carter likes this

1 hour ago, Serge said:

Side note; that's why I don't give Big_Dog a pass for being old. The media got liberals to talk down to people who weren't keeping up with the Russia investigation. There's really no way to even know many lifelong media cynics were created between Russiagate and its aftermath. And you can blame the media for that, and you ought to blame Trump for it, but you've also got to save a little blame for everyone that started consuming a lot of Trump-era political news and decided they needed to start treating people like idiots.

Side note: I was taught to respect my elders. :tiphat:

17 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

holy ******* **** we posted twitter memes about it but Tucker Carlson actually saved us from war 

Still can't believe centrist Dems tried to attack Trump for firing Bolton. Pathetic losers.

lostone, mdrake34 and Carter like this

34 minutes ago, bdog 29 said:

So I've largely tuned politics out the past few weeks for my own mental health and because I feel like a lot of what's been going on lately is a waste of time.

But I heard the Lewandoski hearing yesterday was a ****show just like a lot of the other hearings Democrats have been doing have been. I just came across this article that sums up so much my frustrations with Democrats pretty well.

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/09/democrats-judiciary-cory-lewandowski-bad/

Yeah, I posted an op-ed to that effect as well.  I watched the first part and it was awful.  But they let the lawyer question him and Lewandowski suddenly got serious and had to answer the hard questions.

The problem is that the Dems are grandstanding and showing out for the cameras, not trying to bore down on important legal points about wrongdoing.  The people who want to be loudest about impeachment need to be more serious with these public hearings if they expect anyone to take them seriously.

And right now, none of them look like they are serious or deserve public attention.

11 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Staff shake up in Iowa AND NH?

He's slipping fast. I sort of feel bad for him. His best shot was 2016.

36 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

Side note: I was taught to respect my elders. :tiphat:

You should see the **** mine have done though. Crazy ****.