MayorWest13

Gerald McCoy Released

154 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yep. Drafting edge.

Point is we got not much committed to the DL long term as stands.

At all. Only GJ figures to be for sure and that’s if they presumably don’t fail to work things out

GM would be a 1-2 year signing. I don’t see the issue if contracts are structured right.

He would be next to GJ inside for a year or two. We have cap space for our own guys as it is. At least the core.

Who is your 5th player due?

GJ, JJ, DeBo, Hooper and ??? Vondre?

Sanu might be gone next year and Tru in 2 years. :shrug: Mack in 3..etc

Plus guys like Ty are gone if they are starting.

Next 12 months...don’t see that much of a problem if we draft well; seeing as GM isn’t a long term issue if ATL were to sign him. Maybe a competitor offers him more for longer or shorter.

While Im quoting you, "this" isnt directed at you...

Drafting edge will now be a need. With the 2020 contracts currently having 3 DL on the books, DT is also a need in 2020. Atlanta has backed itself into a corner that it will take 2 years of draft and FA to fix for 2020-2021. Chess? Not even checkers, More like Hungry Hippos level stupid. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Would have been fun but it ain't happening now. Not after adding Davison and Hageman. He was always going to be cut. The Falcons could have waited for it to happen, but that's a risk with an outcome they can't control. 

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

While Im quoting you, "this" isnt directed at you...

Drafting edge will now be a need. With the 2020 contracts currently having 3 DL on the books, DT is also a need in 2020. Atlanta has backed itself into a corner that it will take 2 years of draft and FA to fix for 2020-2021. Chess? Not even checkers, More like Hungry Hippos level stupid. 

I don't think so....

GJ is a 50/50...that's a huge chunk of money that is in play for 2020

Keanu is the most likely candidate to not remain with the team. Box SS are dime a dozen...especially ones that can't catch and run 4.6 post ACL

Deion Jones is the most important defender on the roster and he will get his extension

Julio's extension won't hurt the team...and Sanu won't be on the team in 2020...thats another $7 million that will most likely be replaced with an early to mid round WR

We also will either extend Mack or cut him...giving us another $5-10 million in cap space...and to that point, we wont have Ty or Wes under contract...but our other three (3) starters will be under contract for 4 years together...

Matt Ryan can easily transfer his money to signing bonus and kick deferred "cap amounts" down the curb, but then he could do another extension that would make up for it to even it out...

Devonta Freeman will be off the books in 2021 and we will never pay more than mid draft pick rookie salaries for RBs....thats another huge chunck of change...

Plenty of money for FAs and have all of our draft capital...

This team goes as Matt Ryan and the offense goes...not whether we have a premier DT or DE....that's reality....

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Would have been fun but it ain't happening now. Not after adding Davison and Hageman. He was always going to be cut. The Falcons could have waited for it to happen, but that's a risk with an outcome they can't control. 

I think its a very slim chance...but both of those dudes are at a rate below $1million....its not like they are heavily invested in them...so I wouldn't rule out yet...but McCoy would really have to want to play for us, b/c I think other teams will ahve more money available and just as good a cahnce at winning if not better (ie Colts)...

But, playing next to Grady and with Senat, Crawford, and Davison as rotational guys...along with VB44, Takk, Clayborn on the edge....with DQ as DC....that could be enticing....and the opportunity to beat TB twice a year (ie sack Jamies)....and still hit Brees and Cam??

Who knows...

CHances are less than 5% though...

What folks need to realize is this:

2018 McCoy: 28 tackles, 6 sacks, 6 TFL, 21 QB hits

2018 Grady: 52 tackles, 6 sacks, 8 TFL, 16 QB hits

2018 was McCoys worst year in the last 6 years...he's a better DT than Grady, even at 31...

FalconsIn2020 and athell like this

We REALLY need to find a way to make this happen. I mean really. We have a geographical advantage. Guys in the league that long don't wanna disrupt their families. They could potentially stay in Tampa and drive or fly back and forth.

We are SO thin at DT.

Flying Falcon likes this

32 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I think its a very slim chance...but both of those dudes are at a rate below $1million....its not like they are heavily invested in them...so I wouldn't rule out yet...but McCoy would really have to want to play for us, b/c I think other teams will ahve more money available and just as good a cahnce at winning if not better (ie Colts)...

But, playing next to Grady and with Senat, Crawford, and Davison as rotational guys...along with VB44, Takk, Clayborn on the edge....with DQ as DC....that could be enticing....and the opportunity to beat TB twice a year (ie sack Jamies)....and still hit Brees and Cam??

Who knows...

CHances are less than 5% though...

Very slim. The DT group is packed. They carry four DTs: Grady, Crawford, Senat, Davison, Hageman, Zimmer, Bennett. The top three are locks. The way they spoke about Davison, he's a close lock. Plus, going after a guy like that just to turn around and cut him would probably leave a bad taste in future FAs, so I doubt it happens. 

Plus, the other part is the active roster. Adding McCoy means you have to make someone else inactive. It's just too difficult as is to add McCoy and justify it elsewhere. Less than 5% is definitely where I put it. 

No.11 and Cole World like this

15 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

If we just do a one-year deal I don't think it will hamper any of the extensions.... Julio's would actually probably save money

Plus cutting Schraeder after June 1st will save some money.

Some are thinking McCoy is going to sign a 1yr deal.

If you think in terms of McCoy, he's just turned 31 and is probably looking for a longer term deal like 2-3 years.  

1 hour ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

2018 was McCoys worst year in the last 6 years...he's a better DT than Grady, even at 31...

He's better at getting pressure, not sure he is better playing against the run.

2 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

So what you're telling me is one is on the wrong side of 30 and has just had a horrible year, and the other is just going into their prime, and was better than the old guy even last year? How is McCoy definitely better than Grady?

And this isn't even going into the fact that QB's we faced always had a check-down open on any given play against Duke and Richards within the first 0.5 seconds of a play. I don't know how the Bucs defense was structured last year but it can't have been harder for their passrushers than ours.

He gone end up in the division just so he can make the BUCS pay twice a year bet!

And he'll play at a discount 1year prove it rate I'm sure to do so

COME WIN WITH US McCOYS

19 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Do it.... We have a few DTs already  but  he would bring some nice vet leadership

It would make up for not  drafting a DT

Exactly. Getting McCoy now would be like having our OL draft cake and getting to eat it, too. Bring'em home, TD! You and Quinn need to get to the SB, like real soon. Real soon. :ninja:

4 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I don't think so....

GJ is a 50/50...that's a huge chunk of money that is in play for 2020

Keanu is the most likely candidate to not remain with the team. Box SS are dime a dozen...especially ones that can't catch and run 4.6 post ACL

Deion Jones is the most important defender on the roster and he will get his extension

Julio's extension won't hurt the team...and Sanu won't be on the team in 2020...thats another $7 million that will most likely be replaced with an early to mid round WR

We also will either extend Mack or cut him...giving us another $5-10 million in cap space...and to that point, we wont have Ty or Wes under contract...but our other three (3) starters will be under contract for 4 years together...

Matt Ryan can easily transfer his money to signing bonus and kick deferred "cap amounts" down the curb, but then he could do another extension that would make up for it to even it out...

Devonta Freeman will be off the books in 2021 and we will never pay more than mid draft pick rookie salaries for RBs....thats another huge chunck of change...

Plenty of money for FAs and have all of our draft capital...

This team goes as Matt Ryan and the offense goes...not whether we have a premier DT or DE....that's reality....

You don't think so.... what? That Edge/DT won't be a need? Or that we don't currently only have 3 DL under contract for 2020. Because both are true.

Maybe youre stating it won't take 2 years to fix? I mean thats awful opptomistic. We normally carry 8-9 Linemen. Meaning we need 5-6 players. You can say Vic is gone and GJ stays. Great, you still need a DE and 2 DTs just to field a starting 53. 

If the Falcons could pick up McCoy The DL would be set. At least as good as could be this off season. 

I just don't think the Birds have the cash. I looked into my wallet and does not look like I can be much help. I have $7 cash. That is probably $7 more than the Falcons have in cap space. Maybe we could start a GoFund Me account to help out the acquisition of McCoy. As I just don't see it in the cards. 

Ok, time to wake up from our dream and get back to reality. 

Flying Falcon likes this

5 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Your numbers don't add up to McCoy being better in 2018. Same number of sacks, Grady had 2 more TFL, McCoy had 5 more QB hits, so those numbers are pretty close to a wash, but Grady had almost twice as many tackles. Seems to me like Grady was better in 2018...