Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slickgadawg

Two interesting Hawks draft trade scenarios. Jarrett Culver or Aaron Gordon...

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Both myself and the Hawks are HIGH on Jarrett Culver.  Problem is he is gonna be gone by the 8th pick.  I've seen two scenarios the Hawks should explore on draft day.  One is involving the afore mentioned Culver, the other is Aaron Gordon.   The first involves the Hawks moving  up to 4th for the Lakers pick and sending them the 8th and 10th pick along with Alex Len.  This is appealing for the Lakers because they are in win NOW mode with Lebron.  They could move the 4th pick for a veteran but gaining both Atlanta picks and Len would give them more flexibility. 

The other scenario is moving the 8th and 10th pick to Orlando for Aaron Gordon and their 16th pick.  Thats a good deal on paper also.  The question is where do the Hawks feel they could grow more?  Develop Culver or pick up the proven Gordon?  They can't go wrong either way here.  I'm leaning Gordon.  He is still young, he is proven and he can provide immediate free agent type leadership to the Hawks.  The Hawks could turn the initial disappointment with getting the 8th and 10th picks into a better deal and I know thats what they are gonna do.  The issue is which way to they go with this?

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2019/05/19/atlanta-hawks-3-trades-8th-10th-pick/

Edited by slickgadawg

Posted (edited)

I've seen that, but no way I give two picks on either trade.

Especially 2 top 10 picks. We go through this every year, but **** it all those 2 picks could turn into superstars.

Never forget guys like Kwahi, Bulter, and even Giannis or Curry were not Top 5 picks some not even Top 10.

Edited by Zone#7
blkbigdog35, No.11 and jayu70 like this

39 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Especially 2 top 10 picks. We go through this every year, but **** it all those 2 picks could turn into superstars.

Never forget guys like Kwahi, Bulter, and even Giannis or Curry were not Top 5 picks some not even Top 10.

:tiphat:End of thread!!

59 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

No player in a nba draft is a sure thing. For every Leonard that becomes a superstar,  a top 3 pick becomes a bust.  That's why I lean toward trading picks for Aaron.  

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

No player in a nba draft is a sure thing. For every Leonard that becomes a superstar,  a top 3 pick becomes a bust.  That's why I lean toward trading picks for Aaron.  

Aaron is on a sorry team though what if we get him, and it ends up like Michael Carter Williams. Yeah remember him dude lit it up on 76ers got traded found out he's just a stat sheet stuffer and barely that.

I'd rather roll the dice on the untested draft prospect than go with a player like Gordon.

now on the other side you tell me instead it's Vucevic I'll bite on him.

jayu70 and blkbigdog35 like this

Like Zone said, no interest in giving up the 2 picks. I'd be settle with Prince and #10 for #4. But isn't Culver a SG? If we are trading Prince we need a SF

Definitely not doing the Aaron Gordon deal. 

I'd rather we continue the rebuild without trading for high priced players of this ilk.  

He's also a PF - we have John Collins.

blkbigdog35 likes this

58 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Like Zone said, no interest in giving up the 2 picks. I'd be settle with Prince and #10 for #4. But isn't Culver a SG? If we are trading Prince we need a SF

Definitely not doing the Aaron Gordon deal. 

I'd rather we continue the rebuild without trading for high priced players of this ilk.  

He's also a PF - we have John Collins.

Agreed and staying the course and drafting well has definitely shown us how bright of a future this team has!  I really don’t want a max player on this team right now!

jayu70 likes this

Why would we want Aaron Gordon? I don't want anybody from the Magic except Vucevic, who is an unrestricted free agent.

thofin21 likes this

On 5/21/2019 at 7:26 PM, No.11 said:

Why would we want Aaron Gordon? I don't want anybody from the Magic except Vucevic, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Because the Hawks MIGHT not have anything at 8 and 10 that they want.  Thats the purpose of having plans B,C, D and E when you are a General Manager...

11 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Because the Hawks MIGHT not have anything at 8 and 10 that they want.  Thats the purpose of having plans B,C, D and E when you are a General Manager...

I like having alternate plans, just not one that includes Gordon who is a PF particularly since we have Collins.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I like having alternate plans, just not one that includes Gordon who is a PF particularly since we have Collins.

Gordon can play other than power forward.  In fact, in todays NBA it doesn't matter if you are a true center, power or small forward.  Its small ball and 3 point shots...

Edited by slickgadawg

On 5/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, slickgadawg said:

Gordon can play other than power forward.  In fact, in todays NBA it doesn't matter if you are a true center, power or small forward.  Its small ball and 3 point shots...

He can play SF, but his ideal position is PF.

And if you are going small ball he's definitely at PF.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, slickgadawg said:

Both myself and the Hawks are HIGH on Jarrett Culver.  Problem is he is gonna be gone by the 8th pick.  I've seen two scenarios the Hawks should explore on draft day.  One is involving the afore mentioned Culver, the other is Aaron Gordon.   The first involves the Hawks moving  up to 4th for the Lakers pick and sending them the 8th and 10th pick along with Alex Len.  This is appealing for the Lakers because they are in win NOW mode with Lebron.  They could move the 4th pick for a veteran but gaining both Atlanta picks and Len would give them more flexibility. 

The other scenario is moving the 8th and 10th pick to Orlando for Aaron Gordon and their 16th pick.  Thats a good deal on paper also.  The question is where do the Hawks feel they could grow more?  Develop Culver or pick up the proven Gordon?  They can't go wrong either way here.  I'm leaning Gordon.  He is still young, he is proven and he can provide immediate free agent type leadership to the Hawks.  The Hawks could turn the initial disappointment with getting the 8th and 10th picks into a better deal and I know thats what they are gonna do.  The issue is which way to they go with this?

**** Naw!

On 5/23/2019 at 9:05 AM, slickgadawg said:

Oh yeah, and how much of a salary do you think Gordon will command on the open market?

Plan B, C, D, or whatever shouldn't involve overspending on a rotational player, which is what Gordon would be on the Hawks. 

You draft and develop, or you leverage picks to get more picks or cap space. 

jayu70 likes this

Defense! 

The Hawks have to play some real defense at some point.

It's easy to score a lot of points when nobody is playing defense.

Posted (edited)

On 5/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, slickgadawg said:

That trade is a rippoff for #8 and #10. Schlenk in not doing that. 

Really, I believe The #8 will be a Wing player and #10 a Center.

Both must play defense.

I doubt that The Hawks are taking-on any big deals that do not increase ticket sales and playoff chances. Only 3 more seasons unitl Young is a FA. 2 more before Collins rookie deal is over.

Reminder*****:

Dr6i9WuU0AAIOzH.jpg

Edited by Rise
No.11 likes this

7 hours ago, Rise said:

That trade is a rippoff for #8 and #10. Schlenk in not doing that. 

Really, I believe The #8 will be a Wing player and #10 a Center.

Both must play defense.

I doubt that The Hawks are taking-on any big deals that do not increase ticket sales and playoff chances. Only 3 more seasons unitl Young is a FA. 2 more before Collins rookie deal is over.

Reminder*****:

Dr6i9WuU0AAIOzH.jpg

Two of the best players in the league.  I agree that they need to concentrate on their core.  I lean toward drafting Culver over signing Gordon even though I would understand why they would sign him...

I am not high on Culver. He is ok, but not a guy that’s going to get us any closer to a ‘chip. He is the one guy I hope is gone before we pick.  

The knicks rumor verifies what i believe they are gonna do.  I thought they would move up to 4 or 5 but the Hawks ain't playing around...