Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hjerry

Official Danny Shelton Overreaction Thread

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

We don't have a 330 lbs + DL on the roster

 

41 minutes ago, hjerry said:

exactly

Is this 330+ a “need” to make a DL good or great or a “want” from you both ? 

Edited by GeorgiaBoyz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

 

Is this 330+ a “need” to make a DL good or great or a “want” from you both

lol

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hjerry said:

lol

I’m serious . What’s the infatuation with behemoths when majority of the good - greats were between 280-310? 

Ngata, Wilfork, BJ Raji(for like 2 seasons), Brandon Williams(1 season) were the exception of DTs who played at 320+ & made pro bowls, all pro, etc .. so what is the infatuation ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got 2 dedicated 1Ts on roster.

Get more pass rush help for GJ instead of having Takk and VB stonewalled most the year. At least force the interior into the QB! Get those DEs some clean up sacks! We addressing DE long term next offseason anyway.

Read: give me McCoy for a year or two over Danny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

We don't have a 330 lbs + DL on the roster

Neither did Quinn when he won a super bowl in Settle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

2018 PFF Overall Rankings (DT)

27th - Danny Shelton

28th - Gerald McCoy

83rd - Tyeler Davison

Dude is a good run stopper. Billy probably got him on the low. 

HAAH Davison lovers about to come 'git you. They think he farts cotton candy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know why we get so caught up in overall ranking from whatever website a particular person decides to quote. You can’t have too 10 guys at every position, it’s not realistic. The most important thing is can the player do the job you brought him in for whether that be rushing or stopping the run.

I can’t remember how many articles I’ve read Over the years about how Bill Belichick has made a living off that very thing. He has a specific role for each player and he highlights what their good at and insulated them from their weaknesses. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He re-signs not signs with Pats - why would he leave what he thinks is a definite Super Bowl contender for a team that is much less certain other than lots of extra money which we do not have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I’m serious . What’s the infatuation with behemoths when majority of the good - greats were between 280-310? 

Ngata, Wilfork, BJ Raji(for like 2 seasons), Brandon Williams(1 season) were the exception of DTs who played at 320+ & made pro bowls, all pro, etc .. so what is the infatuation ? 

I love me some Pearce...dude is an animal.

Ate there any DT’s that can match Trent Brown’s size?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 7:52 PM, MAD597 said:

We don't have a 330 lbs + DL on the roster

Tye fact we made Poe cut down to 320 should prove we have no interest in any 330+ DT

Cole World likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 7:52 PM, MAD597 said:

We don't have a 330 lbs + DL on the roster

Tye fact we made Poe cut down to 320 should prove we have no interest in any 330+ DT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

2018 PFF Overall Rankings (DT)

27th - Danny Shelton

28th - Gerald McCoy

83rd - Tyeler Davison

Dude is a good run stopper. Billy probably got him on the low. 

If you are talking about run stopping Danny Shelton ratings is like 78 to Davison run stopping is 75.

 

They both run stop... Shelton gives you more push the pocket vs the pass.... neither u want as rushers tho.

 

But back to my point... These guys I thought would atleast get 5 mil a season but the league is catching on..... You can't  pay run stoppers.... The same reason why I thought Poe had to walk....If you are not bringing a pass rush... You playing 25-30 (max) % just not worth it.

 

Shelton is getting paid less then 2 mil.. Super smart signing by the Pats... They use him very minimally (less then 350 snaps) but using the big guy in that limited role .. They get the most out of him

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, atljbo said:

If you are talking about run stopping Danny Shelton ratings is like 78 to Davison run stopping is 75.

 

They both run stop... Shelton gives you more push the pocket vs the pass.... neither u want as rushers tho.

 

But back to my point... These guys I thought would atleast get 5 mil a season but the league is catching on..... You can't  pay run stoppers.... The same reason why I thought Poe had to walk....If you are not bringing a pass rush... You playing 25-30 (max) % just not worth it.

 

Shelton is getting paid less then 2 mil.. Super smart signing by the Pats... They use him very minimally (less then 350 snaps) but using the big guy in that limited role .. They get the most out of him

So bigger, better run stopper and pocket pusher, for virtually the same money?

atljbo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Tye fact we made Poe cut down to 320 should prove we have no interest in any 330+ DT

Our coaches are wrong. With very few exceptions we've been overly light on DL for a decade and besides Abraham had issues collapsing the pocket and getting pressure on the QB. We've also had a habit of giving up leads late for quite some time.

You'd figure at some point our coaches would wake up and decide to try something different instead of trying to build a light weak DL over and over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Our coaches are wrong. With very few exceptions we've been overly light on DL for a decade and besides Abraham had issues collapsing the pocket and getting pressure on the QB. We've also had a habit of giving up leads late for quite some time.

You'd figure at some point our coaches would wake up and decide to try something different instead of trying to build a light weak DL over and over again.

Falcons got to the Super Bowl in 2016 without a 330 lber on the DLine. Quinn's Seahawks won a super bowl without a 330 lber on the roster. Biggest guy was 325, others were 300, 311, 315, 297, 305.

Falcons chose a guard over a 340lb DT in the draft, they had Poe lose weight when he got here. If  they had a 340 lb DT, he'd only play 250-350 snaps a gme.

If Quinn wanted a a large body for the DLine, he'd have one. It just not as important as you think.

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Falcons got to the Super Bowl in 2016 without a 330 lber on the DLine. Quinn's Seahawks won a super bowl without a 330 lber on the roster. Biggest guy was 325, others were 300, 311, 315, 297, 305.

Falcons chose a guard over a 340lb DT in the draft, they had Poe lose weight when he got here. If  they had a 340 lb DT, he'd only play 250-350 snaps a gme.

If Quinn wanted a a large body for the DLine, he'd have one. It just not as important as you think.

Quinn is wrong, our SB defense got toasted of epic proportions and were gassed cause the opposing OL wore us down by the 3rd and 4th qtr of the SB. We also have seen a pattern of letting leads slip away late. Our teams defense has had issues collapsing the pocket and getting to the QB for a decade. The common thread through all the coaching and scheme changes is were are always LIGHT and WEAK on the DL and not surprisingly we have the same issue with the DL year in and year out.

Now do you keep doing the same thing hoping for different results or do you maybe make a slight change and add some bigger guys to the DL? We did that with the OL this year, it is about time we did that with the DL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

So bigger, better run stopper and pocket pusher, for virtually the same money?

Yup.... the only problem is these dudes have to figure out they are asking for to much.... Teams are not paying pure run stoppers that much money.

 

Like TD said.. He thought we didn't have a chance to get Davison.

 

It's like the Safety Market last year

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, Monolith2001 said:

the guy we got from the Stains could be better than both in our system.

Oh yeah. Wouldn't that just be way too epic for words! :slick:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shelton signed for virtually vet min but for two years instead of one

Translation: Had we wanted him, we could've had him, and easily. We chose Davison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Quinn is wrong, our SB defense got toasted of epic proportions and were gassed cause the opposing OL wore us down by the 3rd and 4th qtr of the SB. We also have seen a pattern of letting leads slip away late. Our teams defense has had issues collapsing the pocket and getting to the QB for a decade. The common thread through all the coaching and scheme changes is were are always LIGHT and WEAK on the DL and not surprisingly we have the same issue with the DL year in and year out.

Now do you keep doing the same thing hoping for different results or do you maybe make a slight change and add some bigger guys to the DL? We did that with the OL this year, it is about time we did that with the DL.

Riiiight, the Super Bowl winning DC is wrong and you're correct.  Problem in super bowl was the Oline fell apart and couldn't sustain drives. Sheldon played 350 snaps last year for NE, he was not a key component of their DLine.

Problem hasn't been size, but depth. Once again, DQ won a super bowl with a DLine composed mainly of 300 LB guys, he just had several of them. This year, you'll have Senat, Davidson and Hageman to stop the run, Then, Grady , Clayborn and Crawford to rush the passer. Means and Cominsky are wild cards. Quinn finally has the depth to run the DLine the way he wants to.

Think you're going to see a much better DLine this year, with no one over 318 LBs.

 

Last year, Pats had one player over 320 LBs, Sheldon, he played 350 snaps

2017 Eagles starters at DT were 310 and 295, they had one guy over 320 LB, he played 400 snaps

If the falcons had a very large human playing on the DLine, he'd be part time.

It's not size that's the issue, it's quality of player and quality depth. Falcons quietly had a good offseason signing FAs for quality depth along the Dline, it'll pay off this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atljbo said:

Yup.... the only problem is these dudes have to figure out they are asking for to much.... Teams are not paying pure run stoppers that much money.

 

Like TD said.. He thought we didn't have a chance to get Davison.

 

It's like the Safety Market last year

Yep. Captain hindsight narrator strikes again; or not. :lol: 

Glad we got Davison when we could for pennies in the cool market and it’s just a literal stop-gap until Senat develops in Year 2.

Year 3 Senat may make Davison a non-desirable returnee.

Sure, lets just elevate Shelton now as a poor man’s Poe and think the Davison signing had anything to do with pass rush.

PS: We need more pass rushers because we fixed the base run D 1T hopefully. So glad we aren’t relying on 1T run stop specialists in pass rush situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yep. Captain hindsight narrator strikes again; or not. :lol: 

Glad we got Davison when we could for pennies in the cool market and it’s just a literal stop-gap until Senat develops in Year 2.

Year 3 Senat may make Davison a non-desirable returnee.

Sure, lets just elevate Shelton now as a poor man’s Poe and think the Davison signing had anything to do with pass rush.

PS: We need more pass rushers because we fixed the base run D 1T hopefully. So glad we aren’t relying on 1T run stop specialists in pass rush situations.

Naw I just think if you  are going to compare the 2.. compare them at the roles they will play.

 

They are both run stoppers...Davison played 100 more snaps then Danny.... Danny didn't play allot of snaps. Shelton pleyed about 300 snaps total.

 

I think both  can come in play the run stopping role for us... Neither are pass rushers... They both are good at stopping the run tho

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atljbo said:

Yup.... the only problem is these dudes have to figure out they are asking for to much.... Teams are not paying pure run stoppers that much money.

 

Like TD said.. He thought we didn't have a chance to get Davison.

 

It's like the Safety Market last year

The other part of the equation:

Players choose where they sign

Ole 70 seems to refuse to acknowledge this LARGE part of the equation. When Poe came to Atlanta, he passed on more money to play for Quinn. He said it himself. Who knows what kinds of offers Shelton had? Nobody as of now. The Falcons could have offered him a deal with the same weight loss requirement as Poe and he probably didn't want that. We don't know that. But he's going to die on the hill of "TD could have signed Shelton but settled for *Insert random nickname for Davison*. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0