Cole World

Fourth-round pick? Why CB Kendall Sheffield believes he's a first-rounder

66 posts in this topic

I wasn't a fan of the pick. Still not a believer. I think its ridiculous to even consider him as a 1st rounder with as often as he was roasted in college. But I like his confidence. He is athletic af and has a great body type and athletic attributes. We will see. 

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

Everyone says it,

Less talkey and more doey.

This is just silly.  He was being interviewed during OTA's.  He hasn't had a chance to prove it yet.  I'd much rather a player think that he should have been picked in the first round.  What's the alternative " Gosh golly gee, I am so happy to have been picked in the 4th round,  I thought I was going to go undrafted because there are way better CB's out there than I, I might possibly not make the team and that would be sad".

1 hour ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I wasn't a fan of the pick. Still not a believer. I think its ridiculous to even consider him as a 1st rounder with as often as he was roasted in college. But I like his confidence. He is athletic af and has a great body type and athletic attributes. We will see. 

Link to him bring roasted?

7 hours ago, ltstorm2 said:

This is just silly.  He was being interviewed during OTA's.  He hasn't had a chance to prove it yet.  I'd much rather a player think that he should have been picked in the first round.  What's the alternative " Gosh golly gee, I am so happy to have been picked in the 4th round,  I thought I was going to go undrafted because there are way better CB's out there than I, I might possibly not make the team and that would be sad".

Sure he can think it, but no need to put his foot in his mouth. Keep those thoughts to yourself and go out and prove it. We've had too many players unfortunately say the same stuff only to fall flat on their face. 

3 hours ago, Knight of God said:

He wasn’t roasted in Alabama as a freshman. He was played at every position

KoG, he wasnt that good at Ohio St. He was all right. Cant locate the ball. He didnt get beat off speed, just technique. 

I dont think he will be teachable here. Our CBs here now STILL have a problem turning their heads around, so I dont think he will learn that here.

11 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

KoG, he wasnt that good at Ohio St. He was all right. Cant locate the ball. He didnt get beat off speed, just technique. 

I dont think he will be teachable here. Our CBs here now STILL have a problem turning their heads around, so I dont think he will learn that here.

Falcons outside corners are taught to stay on top of their man.

Andy Benoit MMQB - Rookie Mini-camp 2019

There’s great focus on coverage technique, which was also emphasized in last night’s installation meeting. In the foundational coverages, Falcons outside corners play either Smack or Pony technique.

Smack is simply straight man-to-man technique. You line up across from the wideout and, as DBs coach Mallory puts it, “you own that son of a *****.” Pony is tempo/bail technique—i.e. off-coverage. The corner plays with a cushion and reads multiple receivers, starting inside and working outside. He’s responsible for anything that enters his zone—the area from the sideline to two yards outside of the painted field numbers, clear to the back of the end zone (which is another way of saying “don’t let any receiver get deeper than you”).

To illustrate this, Henderson pauses the film when an outside corner is located directly alongside his receiver five yards downfield. Henderson explains that anytime a receiver is even with a corner five yards into a route, the corner loses. Because from there a corner must turn and sprint, becoming utterly vulnerable to a comeback route. And so, Henderson stresses, an outside corner must stay on top of a receiver at all times.

Kung Fu Kenny likes this

8 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Falcons outside corners are taught to stay on top of their man.

Andy Benoit MMQB - Rookie Mini-camp 2019

Uh....ok. But when a QB like Brees can put a ball on a tight rope, it helps if your CBs can "stay on top" and "turn their heads around".

2 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Uh....ok. But when a QB like Brees can put a ball on a tight rope, it helps if your CBs can "stay on top" and "turn their heads around".

In that particular play Sanu did a savy vet move by throwing his hands up late.

Had he threw them up sooner Oliver could've easily put his arm up to deflect it.

1 minute ago, Cole World said:

In that particular play Sanu did a savy vet move by throwing his hands up late.

Had he threw them up sooner Oliver could've easily put his arm up to deflect it.

Turn your head around. Period. Before Sanu threw his hands up, his eyes got wide. Natural human effect. Watch the eyes. Good CBs know this.

Osiruz and cwell1 like this

23 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Sounds like academics and grades at UA and playing a NFL defense for Nick Saban was  one of those hurdles he had to negotiate.........Maybe why he was picked in the fourth. 

That's interesting. I wasn't aware they had academics at Alabama.

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

That's interesting. I wasn't aware they had academics at Alabama.

Left for JC.

One has to know the playbook. Got to read to do that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/04/study-graduation-rate-for-bowl-bound-football-players-is-up/108298402/

Lapchick said Clemson graduated 85 percent of its football players, Alabama 84 percent, Oklahoma 72 percent and Georgia 53 percent.

Not that FB players learn much there, but prolly have to read.

6 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Turn your head around. Period. Before Sanu threw his hands up, his eyes got wide. Natural human effect. Watch the eyes. Good CBs know this.

Holy **** it's non contact dude. If he turns his head around he's gonna run into Sanu. How do you guys not get this?

43 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Left for JC.

One has to know the playbook. Got to read to do that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/04/study-graduation-rate-for-bowl-bound-football-players-is-up/108298402/

Lapchick said Clemson graduated 85 percent of its football players, Alabama 84 percent, Oklahoma 72 percent and Georgia 53 percent.

Not that FB players learn much there, but prolly have to read.

Yeah I was just making a joke.  

Or not

Tim Mazetti likes this

7 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Yeah I was just making a joke.  

Or not

Yeah, these FB players are put through the curricula (Basket Weaving, Communications, Social Worker, Criminal Justice.).

That is what separated Garland and Foye from the guys.

These two, et.al.. worked their hinnies off to graduate and play FB at a high level.

PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Yeah, these FB players are put through the curricula (Basket Weaving, Communications, Social Worker, Criminal Justice.).

That is what separated Garland and Foye from the guys.

These two, et.al.. worked their hinnies off to graduate and play FB at a high level.

I used to work in an Italian restaurant joint around Northlake Mall way back when, and one of my co-workers was a college athlete who told me he was having trouble with some of his classes. I asked him what classes he was taking.

He said, "Right now, Ceramics and Decision Making." I **** you not.

capologist and Tim Mazetti like this

2 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I used to work in an Italian restaurant joint around Northlake Mall way back when, and one of my co-workers was a college athlete who told me he was having trouble with some of his classes. I asked him what classes he was taking.

He said, "Right now, Ceramics and Decision Making." I **** you not.

That's how it seems to be.

They are released from HS with a grade school ED. If one can't read or speak the language there are some tall walls there.

My Grand Parents told me about their schooling (1890s).

They never went past fourth grade but could speak and write like scholars. Knew arithmetic too.

High School then was for the rich, who weren't relied on to work the land.

A forth grade education set you up with all the life skills needed to succeed if you worked it.

21 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Link to him bring roasted?

Too lazy to watch the plays were he was roasted, but if you are sitting here telling me he didn't get beat a lot then you obviously either a) being a homer or 2) don't know much about him. I'm not hating on the guy. I have zero motive to hate on him. He is a Falcon now and I hope he turns into a beast, but facts are facts. I always keep it real. 

Flying Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Too lazy to watch the plays were he was roasted, but if you are sitting here telling me he didn't get beat a lot then you obviously either a) being a homer or 2) don't know much about him. I'm not hating on the guy. I have zero motive to hate on him. He is a Falcon now and I hope he turns into a beast, but facts are facts. I always keep it real. 

You can't even tell me when he got "roasted". I watched some games and never seen him get roasted. Beat? Sure because he didn't turn his head. Roasted? Not once. 

Cole World likes this

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

You can't even tell me when he got "roasted". I watched some games and never seen him get roasted. Beat? Sure because he didn't turn his head. Roasted? Not once. 

Lol really? Now you are just arguing over semantics. Ok if you don't feel comfortable with using the term "roasted" then he got beat a lot in college. We've all watched the same tape on him. Or at least I'm hoping you watched it, but iono B)

Flying Falcon likes this

17 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Lol really? Now you are just arguing over semantics. Ok if you don't feel comfortable with using the term "roasted" then he got beat a lot in college. We've all watched the same tape on him. Or at least I'm hoping you watched it, but iono B)

So you're just gonna ignore the good he did? Cool 

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

So you're just gonna ignore the good he did? Cool 

I'm not ignoring anything. In fact, I praised him a lot in my initial post. I just pointed out that he got beat a lot in college. Which he did. I still am rooting for the guy because he is a Falcon. But yeah I wasn't a fan of the pick and I'm in a "see it to believe it" mode right now. 

Flying Falcon likes this