How well do you think the Falcons will do against the AFC South in 2019?

The Falcons have struggled to beat AFC teams over the last few years under Dan Quinn. This season we play at Indianapolis week 3, vs Tennessee week 4, at Houston week 5 and vs Jacksonville week 16 I believe it is. Do you guys think we will do well against the AFC South in 2019? Which of the AFC South teams do you think we have the best chance of beating? And which of the AFC South teams if any do you think will give the Falcons a lot of problems? I think the Falcons should win at least 3 of the AFC South games. I wouldn't be surprised if we swept all 4 teams. I think Matt Ryan will light that Colts secondary up like a Christmas tree and the Falcons probably win that game in a shoot out. Tennessee should be a win in a 24-10 type game. At Houston I think the Falcons will be fired up because they are returning to the scene of the crime. Jacksonville's defense is scary but we are at home and should be able to pull it out. What do you guys think?

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

Unlike you, I would not only be surprised, I'd be very shocked if we swept. 

We'll lose to Indy and Houston and win the other two.  Jacksonville will be mailing it in by that point of the season.  

If the Falcons have any trouble beating Tennessee, something's very wrong in Flowery Branch. 

Why? The titans are a good team with good talent. If they had mariota last year, they might’ve been in the playoffs over the Colts. They should compete for the division, if not win it. 

I think the most common answer will be 2-2 winning both home games. I’m going to be a homer and say 3-1 but that 1 loss isn’t against who you think. We win at Indy but lose at Houston.

I’m planning on going to the Indy game btw. If anyone else is, then let me know! 

The Falcons are 1-10 in AFC games since the Chargers in 2016.

Between Quinn's first AFC game against the Texans in 2015 and the Broncos in Denver, we were 5-1 vs the AFC. 

The Falcons are also 1-11 at home vs the AFC since 2013, which even goes back to Mike Smith's last couple years as the head coach. 2015 against the Texans is once again our only win at home vs the AFC in that stretch. Between 2008-2012 we went 9-1 at home vs the AFC, the 2008 Broncos being our only home loss in that stretch. 

The previous 2 times we faced the AFC South, we went a combined 6-2. 3-1 vs the AFC South in 2011 and 3-1 vs the AFC South in 2015. In 2013 we went 1-3 vs the AFC East and in 2017 we went 1-3 vs the AFC East. In 2014 we were swept by the AFC North, and in 2018 we were swept by the AFC North again. 

You'd think in 2019 we'd go 3-1 vs the AFC South, but hold your horses. This year's AFC South will be MUCH TOUGHER than the AFC South divisions we faced in 2011 and 2015. The Texans are good with Deshaun Watson. We will assume that the Colts are healthy with Andrew Luck, and the Titans have Marcus Mariotta and Derrick Henry who have gone 9-7 each of the past 2 seasons.

Until proven on the field, I believe our 3 game stretch against the AFC South early in the season is going to be just like that horrendous 3 game stretch against the AFC East in 2017. The Falcons have owned the Texans in Atlanta, but the Texans have owned us in their building. The Falcons hardly beat the Colts, the Colts own us just like the Browns. I can't say how games against the Titans the Jags will go, because once again, we are 1-11 at home vs AFC opponents since 2013? 

Agree with poster,,  3 out of 4... 75% ,, just like I believe what our season will be.. I think we will be around 12 wins AND 4 Losses this year.. 75% and in the playoffs,, and by then we will be ready to play with the top teams in the league. In other words,, I have very high exspectation this year.. Because we have THE Team to getter done... 

3 hours ago, CTann said:

I think the most common answer will be 2-2 winning both home games. I’m going to be a homer and say 3-1 but that 1 loss isn’t against who you think. We win at Indy but lose at Houston.

I’m planning on going to the Indy game btw. If anyone else is, then let me know! 

The Colts don't scare me at all. Their defense is not that good. Their offense can be a problem though.

I'm hopeful but not fully confident that we'll go 3-1 against the AFC South.  The games at Indy and Houston are going to require our defense to step up in a big way and the Houston game will be a real test to how much our OL has been improved.  Indy's offense is going to be bonafide scary as I don't think we've got anyone that can stay with Hilton and their running game took a really positive turn last season as well as their OL.  I say we handle our business at home but the other two games away and early in the season are likely question marks to me at this point. 

Just now, Duff_Man said:

They are 3-1 under Quinn against the AFC South. What am I missing here?

No kidding?  Are you in a spot to see his record against the other 3 divisions?  I am curious.  Seems like they always beat us.

4 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Why? The titans are a good team with good talent. If they had mariota last year, they might’ve been in the playoffs over the Colts. They should compete for the division, if not win it. 

It's my opinion.

They have a very inconsistent quarterback, plus I expect them to take a step backward this year. Plus its a home game.  (Not that that means a s**tload, but...) 

2 minutes ago, athell said:

No kidding?  Are you in a spot to see his record against the other 3 divisions?  I am curious.  Seems like they always beat us.

2015 - AFCS 3-1

2016 - AFCW 2-2

2017 - AFCE 1-3

2018 AFCN 0-4

That's juts a weird trend.