FalconsIn2012

Best Case Scenerio: Offensive Line

132 posts in this topic

I’ve thought about our OL and while this wont really be a popular POV, here are my thoughts.

I think long term, we are in the best possible situation if the following players win their position battle in camp and are starters:

LT: Matthews (27 years old)

LG: Lindstrom (22 year old) 

C: Mack

RG: McGeary (24 years old) - Pro Bowl potential at OG

RT: Ty (age 26) -  beats Kaleb not because KM was bad, but because Ty was that good.

Yes, we drafted Kaleb to be a RT, but if Ty balls out in camp and earns the job and Kaleb beats out Brown, we are in GREAT shape moving forward.  That is a young nucleus that could play the next 5 years together with manageable cost.

So im hoping Ty continues making steps like he did last season.  And Kaleb would be a road grader at OG

Thoughts

GeorgiaBoyz likes this

McGary is too tall to play guard, he's a natural RT. We didn't trade back into the first to grab him just to play guard, the one OL position we have quality depth at. KM will be our starting RT at some point this season, maybe week one.

5 hours ago, DD: Objective Elite said:

McGary is too tall to play guard, he's a natural RT. We didn't trade back into the first to grab him just to play guard, the one OL position we have quality depth at. KM will be our starting RT at some point this season, maybe week one.

You are missing the point.  If Ty is better and Kaleb can move inside (many analysts project him being a better OG than RT) that allows us to keep both at manageable contracts for 4-5 years.  If we put Kaleb at RT just because he was a 1st round pick, it wastes Ty and leaves us needing a LG in 2 years.

Anyways, it’s just an idea to utilize all our resources.  

And Schwartz, Long, Brooks & Foster are all 6’6 Guards who are or have been elite

I’m amazed everyone is so up on Ty.   Just to be clear, this guy has never won a starting job on 2 different NFL teams.   He got put in as starter last year because Schraeder got so bad and the season was over and coaches wanted to evaluate talent.   

After evaluating said talent, our FO went out and brought in 2 FA O linemen and drafted 2 lineman in the first round of the NFL draft.  To get out LT, we gave up draft picks to move up and get him.  

Does this sound like the coaches and FO think TY is starting caliber talent?   

Not hating, just sayin. 

Power I, FuhRealDoh, duckhoa and 1 other like this

4 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

I’m amazed everyone is so up on Ty.   Just to be clear, this guy has never won a starting job on 2 different NFL teams.   He got put in as starter last year because Schraeder got so bad and the season was over and coaches wanted to evaluate talent.   

After evaluating said talent, our FO went out and brought in 2 FA O linemen and drafted 2 lineman in the first round of the NFL draft.  To get out LT, we gave up draft picks to move up and get him.  

Does this sound like the coaches and FO think TY is starting caliber talent?   

Not hating, just sayin. 

Ty was good playing next to trash at RG.  Pretty sure Quinn & TD both said Ty is w starting quality RT 2 months ago 

Whoever can anchor the best for us and van give us a push in the run gm i want to play guard. Matt already gets the ball out quickly he will be deadly with a couple more seconds. 

Im excited, may the best man win. 

FalconsIn2012 and Cole World like this

1 minute ago, red falcon said:

Whoever can anchor the best for us and van give us a push in the run gm i want to play guard. Matt already gets the ball out quickly he will be deadly with a couple more seconds. 

Im excited, may the best man win. 

Yep

30 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You are missing the point.  If Ty is better and Kaleb can move inside (many analysts project him being a better OG than RT) that allows us to keep both at manageable contracts for 4-5 years.  If we put Kaleb at RT just because he was a 1st round pick, it wastes Ty and leaves us needing a RG in 2 years.

Anyways, it’s just an idea to utilize all our resources.  

And Schwartz, Long, Brooks & Foster are all 6’6 Guards who are or have been elite

Care to make a wager, I say Kaleb McGary is the starting right tackle by week 5 and holds onto the starter role throughout the season(barring injury)

Put up or shut up.

4 minutes ago, DD: Objective Elite said:

Care to make a wager, I say Kaleb McGary is the starting right tackle by week 5 and holds onto the starter role throughout the season(barring injury)

Put up or shut up.

I’m not saying he won’t.  This is a hypothetical best case scenerio.   What I’m saying is that if he beats out Kaleb, that means he is playing really well.  And if Kaleb wins RG spot, he too would have to be playing quite well.  Then we are able to use al three young assets together.

While I am certainly not down on McGary, he's spent many of his formative football years in a "whatever works" scheme that's fine for PAC-12 but almost assuredly will be exposed in NFL.  I think Kaleb is going to be a good one once coached up (infinitely better athlete than Ty) but unless he is a fast study, I expect Ty to win on the hard knocks of experience out the gate.  

Ergo Proxy likes this

Jamon Brown for me is a synch to start inside.

Ive watched a lot of his stuff lately and he’s a pure people mover.

You want 3rd and short I’m running behind this dude all day.

Lindstrom will be a dark horse sneaky good in pass pro but if you want to run the ball behind anybody Browns the guy to do it behind.

11 minutes ago, tldr said:

I think Jamon Brown will surprise a lot of folks

I prefer Carpenter to Brown...but both are solid.  

Oline going to be good all pre season.

Theres so much competition there it’s not funny.

You got Carpenter a former 1st round pick a good teacher rumour has it with Mack and a pure people mover like Brown.Throw in the young chargers like McGarry and Lindstrom lol,let battle commence.

I think once that Oline gets its best 5 there going to do some beating to our defensive front.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Jamon Brown for me is a synch to start inside.

Ive watched a lot of his stuff lately and he’s a pure people mover.

You want 3rd and short I’m running behind this dude all day.

Lindstrom will be a dark horse sneaky good in pass pro but if you want to run the ball behind anybody Browns the guy to do it behind.

PFF is what it is..but Brown has always been a below average run blocker per their standards.  I think 54 last year in NY.  Their line improved with him in it, though

As long as the final 5 can anchor in pass protection and give Ryan the same kind of interior pass protection Brady, Brees and many of the other prolific pocket passers ha e enjoyed during some of their best seasons, and as long as the final 5 can blow defenders off the LOS in short yardage, I’m going to be thrilled all the way to and after the higher probability than ever before Super Bowl.

6 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

PFF is what it is..but Brown has always been a below average run blocker per their standards.  I think 54 last year in NY.  Their line improved with him in it, though

Me thinks you rely a little bit too much on PFF.

i use them, they have a lot of great stuff, but often you have to look past the one dimension stats to find the truth in a multidimensional game.

do the stats show trends, take into account systems, familiarity with systems, who the OL is playin next to etc?

Im telling you this as statement of fact, playing next to a weak OL can make you look terrible. We had this going on with Todd McClure early in his career. Once we got him some real OGs to play next to he nearly made pro bowl several years in a row and is now in ring of honor.

I was actually surprised how young Brown still is.

Hes another one of these guys that can improve with a guy like Mack around him,much like these draft picks.

Regardless it’s the most interesting position group to look at this off season.

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Me thinks you rely a little bit too much on PFF.

i use them, they have a lot of great stuff, but often you have to look past the one dimension stats to find the truth in a multidimensional game.

For OL it’s not the best.  I admit.  But pressures and penalties are important and Brown has a bunch of both in NY

gazoo and Ergo Proxy like this

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

I was actually surprised how young Brown still is.

Hes another one of these guys that can improve with a guy like Mack around him,much like these draft picks.

Regardless it’s the most interesting position group to look at this off season.

Brown is only 25 or 26, right?

gazoo likes this

For OL it’s not the best.  I admit.  But pressures and penalties are important and Brown has a bunch of both in NY

You know that Brown was I stuck into the middle of a horrible OL and his production is a tale of 2 half seasons. 

Brown played all world the second half of the season after gelling with the other players and the entire line improved. Brown was credited with the improvement of the group as a whole. I don’t think Brown allowed as much as a single pressure the second half of season

With young OL, I don’t put near as much weight on stats from their learning cube years bs stats once they started playing up to their athletic ability.

If another team signed Matthews, it would be missing so much of you put as much weight on his first two seasons ban you did is last two. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

You know that Brown was I stuck into the middle of a horrible OL and his production is a tale of 2 half seasons. 

Brown played all world the second half of the season after gelling with the other players and the entire line improved. Brown was credited with the improvement of the group as a whole.

He was ok, not all world.  

“The Giants acquired their right guard, Jamon Brown, midway through the season. Brown was an upgrade over Patrick Omameh, however, he is not likely to be a long-term solution at the position. The team played better with Brown out there, and he has potential to grow with a second year in the Giants’ offense, but his overall PFF grade of 51.7ranked 64th out of all guards in 2018. Brown could be a great depth piece along the offensive line if the Giants are able to acquire more talent.”