Falconsin2012

Cover 3: Manuel Vs Quinn

227 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Bro.  I looked at tape of the majority of  theplays from that game and Renfro was NOT in motion on any of them...

"Clemson’s offense has been ostensibly a spread-to-run unit, but against Notre Dame and Alabama, it was all in on spread passing. The Tigers opened the title game in four-WR sets with ageless former walk-on Hunter Renfrow moving around from one side of the formation to the other, stressing Alabama’s structures and offering coverage tells to Lawrence."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2019/1/8/18173643/clemson-alabama-how-analysis-national-championship

6 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Braaaah.  WHAT game was you watching?:lol:  I don't think Clemson motioned a single play in that game.  In fact,  there is no need to motion against Bama because you already know what their base look is gonna be.  Teams motion to check if the coverage is gonna be zone or man.  Saban is gonna play man as his base so there is no need to motion.   The chess match was Clemson stacking the receivers which affects the front that Bama will run and can cause confusion in assignments...

The full game is on YouTube. I suggest you go back and watch it. They didn't motion one time on the opening series. But they adjusted and motion on every other play. Clemson first offensive TD was off a pre snap motion by Travis Etienne. Chad Morris system is all about motion and identifying the mismatch. Clemson mostly uses their backs to motion. 

slickgadawg and Falconsin2012 like this

2 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Bro, I went back and checked and Renfroe ran motion on a few plays but the majority of that game Clemson didn't run motion.  Motion is not why they won that game...

Travis Etienne was in motion the entire game it seems. I can't remember about Renfrow but I do know Etienne was. 2 of his 3 TDs happened after a motion. And Clemson last TD came after a motion from Hunter Renfrow. 

Falconsin2012 and slickgadawg like this

6 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

"Clemson’s offense has been ostensibly a spread-to-run unit, but against Notre Dame and Alabama, it was all in on spread passing. The Tigers opened the title game in four-WR sets with ageless former walk-on Hunter Renfrow moving around from one side of the formation to the other, stressing Alabama’s structures and offering coverage tells to Lawrence."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2019/1/8/18173643/clemson-alabama-how-analysis-national-championship

Was not aware of that. I owe @youngbloodz and @Falconsin2012 a apology.

4 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

The full game is on YouTube. I suggest you go back and watch it. They didn't motion one time on the opening series. But they adjusted and motion on every other play. Clemson first offensive TD was off a pre snap motion by Travis Etienne. Chad Morris system is all about motion and identifying the mismatch. Clemson mostly uses their backs to motion. 

My bad.  You are correct.

youngbloodz likes this

4 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Travis Etienne was in motion the entire game it seems. I can't remember about Renfrow but I do know Etienne was. 2 of his 3 TDs happened after a motion. And Clemson last TD came after a motion from Hunter Renfrow. 

I know Etienne was lining up and technically going in motion by changing his presnap alignment.  If he was doing that to exploit mismatches it worked. Again you were correct and I was in error on my accessment in how they were attacking Bama.

youngbloodz likes this

19 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’ve seen and read quite a bit about Manuel the DC.  While I think he was a scapegoat for last year, I am curious about a few things.

First the Quinn/Carroll Cover -3.  Is it really an aggressive defense or rather just one that is fast. The thought behind the Cover-3 is to simplify things for the players so they can execute without hesitation while also limiting big plays by getting the football underneath.  This is exactly what Manuel did as our playcaller in 2017 but knowledgeable posters I trust ( @Vandy@Knight of God  @vel @TheFatboi @MSalmon @Yo_Lover @athell @youngbloodz @Ergo Proxy@FalconFanSince1970 @kiwifalcon @g-dawg  @gazoo ) didn’t think he was aggressive enough.  

I am of the opinion that over the last two years Quinn was just as involved in the defense game plan and coaching as was Manuel.  

So I ask a question: how will the defense be different from previous years?  Is Quinn’s defense aggressive or simply fast and physical?

What should we expect in 2019.  I have my thoughts.  Curious to hear TATF’s

The biggest difference I think we'll see is that if the injury bug doesn't hit again and the players with the appropriate skills are available, we'll see much more match up zone schemes than we did last year. With the match up zone you can run what looks like a straight zone at the snap but target certain players, ie....the RB out of the backfield or the tight end for instance and man up that player with whichever defender is in the area. You can also do it for specific patterns, for instance the MLB will be assigned the middle 5 to 10 zone but will aggressively pursue or undercut any crossing pattern in the short middle. LB speed and cover skills are required to play an effective match up especially underneath and that just wasn't available last year. They played fairly vanilla coverages last year.

I'm sick of watching RB's out of the backfield destroy this defense play after play. DQ will hopefully stop some of that.

2 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

I know Etienne was lining up and technically going in motion by changing his presnap alignment.  If he was doing that to exploit mismatches it worked. Again you were correct and I was in error on my accessment in how they were attacking Bama.

My thing is who will beat Clemson with all these weapons returning lol. Trevor Lawerence is a monster

slickgadawg likes this

12 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

My thing is who will beat Clemson with all these weapons returning lol. Trevor Lawerence is a monster

They are beatable now with their entire DL playing in the NFL.  Bama moved the ball at will between the 10’s but went full (I used a word here that required my mouth to be washed out) after that.

Man SEC team will take the NC this year IMO.  Hopefully Diaz gets UM back in the picture soon!!! 

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Thanks for manning up and just saying you were wrong. So much better than 15 pages of nonsense trying to justify a mistaken take.

27 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

They are beatable now with their entire DL playing in the NFL.  Bama moved the ball at will between the 10’s but went full (I used a word here that required my mouth to be washed out) after that.

Man SEC team will take the NC this year IMO.  Hopefully Diaz gets UM back in the picture soon!!! 

That offense is still returning almost everyone. And they have the best player development in the country. They are beatable for sure. But you will have to play a near perfect game to do it. Miami is a good year or two away 

Falconsin2012 likes this

8 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

That offense is still returning almost everyone. And they have the best player development in the country. They are beatable for sure. But you will have to play a near perfect game to do it. Miami is a good year or two away 

Truth...I just think Clemson will be like Bama last year.  Dynamic on offense but too inexperienced on defense.  7 starters gone from that defense.  Should be interesting

35 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Lawrence?  Heck, they got a committment from D.J. Uiagalelei who might be better than Lawrence AND Watson.  They say his arm might be stronger than Lawrence and he can run with the same effectiveness of Lawrence and Watson.  This brings up something else that bothers me.  Clemson has been the program that Georgia SHOULD be and is trying to work toward.  Clemson has THREE national titles since Georgia won it in 1980.  TWO of those are a direct result of a quarterback they recruited from Georgia...

https://rubbingtherock.com/2019/05/06/clemson-football-trevor-lawrence-reaches-dj-uiagalelei/

Image result for dj uiagalelei better than trevor lawrence

Falconsin2012 and youngbloodz like this

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Lawrence?  Heck, they got a committment from D.J. Uiagalelei who might be better than Lawrence AND Watson.  They say his arm might be stronger than Lawrence and he can run with the same effectiveness of Lawrence and Watson.  This brings up something else that bothers me.  Clemson has been the program that Georgia SHOULD be and is trying to work toward.  Clemson has THREE national titles since Georgia won it in 1980.  TWO of those are a direct result of a quarterback they recruited from Georgia...

https://rubbingtherock.com/2019/05/06/clemson-football-trevor-lawrence-reaches-dj-uiagalelei/

Thanks for ruining my lunch.  

It’s akin to Warren Buffett winning the Lottery

slickgadawg likes this

3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Yeah DJ is a monster too. I knew UGA wouldn't get Trevor just because everything I was hearing. But once I saw Watson light it up his sophomore year at Gainesville I knew he was going to UGA. But they dropped the ball

slickgadawg likes this

6 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

DJ is overrated to me. But that's just my opinion. I don't think he's better than Lawrence at all.

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Thanks for ruining my lunch.  

It’s akin to Warren Buffett winning the Lottery

The one weakness that Saban has always had is running quarterbacks.  Lawrence can run the ball so they had to respect that.  Watson ran over them. Manziel ran over them.  With those matchups that Saban runs it will create running lanes that if he doesn't blitz, the offense can exploit.  Its the ONE thing that Fromm needs to do more of in matchups against Bama. Take off and run a few plays just to try and keep Bama honest...

Falconsin2012 likes this

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Yeah DJ is a monster too. I knew UGA wouldn't get Trevor just because everything I was hearing. But once I saw Watson light it up his sophomore year at Gainesville I knew he was going to UGA. But they dropped the ball

The FORMER top high school coach in Georgia, Rush Propst, said that Mark Richt would still be at Georgia had he recruited Watson.  Whatever the reason he didn't go to Georgia, it was a huge lost for the program...

youngbloodz likes this

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

The one weakness that Saban has always had is running quarterbacks.  Lawrence can run the ball so they had to respect that.  Watson ran over them. Manziel ran over them.  With those matchups that Saban runs it will create running lanes that if he doesn't blitz, the offense can exploit.  Its the ONE thing that Fromm needs to do more of in matchups against Bama. Take off and run a few plays just to try and keep Bama honest...

Another QB I shall not name could have helped UGA on the ‘fields’ in that department, but I don’t want to derail an already off the track thread

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Another QB with the letter F could have helped in that department, but I don’t want to derail an already off the track thread

Yeah.  The thread is SUPPOSE TO be about Quinn vs Manuel's cover 3...:lol:  To be honest, the defense has looked the same to me under Quinn his whole tenure no matter who the defensive coordinator has been.  In the 3rd quarter they play a LOT of cover 3 and let teams just walk down the field on them.  It works if you have superior athletes on defense that can rally to the ball in a hurry.  Duke Riley has been a liability there and as much as I love Neal, he looks too top heavy and awkward to go sideline to sideline.  He is more a downhill thumper than a sideline to sideline thumper like Kam Chancellor.   Thats just my opinion...

youngbloodz and Falconsin2012 like this

12 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I had no idea Brother! Congrats!!!

Thank you brother. I think yesterday was the first time I mentioned it to anybody. I shared a post on FB yesterday from my daughter of a photo shoot they had. 

Knight of God and youngbloodz like this

11 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

The FORMER top high school coach in Georgia, Rush Propst, said that Mark Richt would still be at Georgia had he recruited Watson.  Whatever the reason he didn't go to Georgia, it was a huge lost for the program...

From what I heard was UGA showed interest too late and he was already set to go to Clemson. 

slickgadawg likes this