stizz

Why Desmond Trufant could learn something from Sanu

133 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, athell said:

Well a 3 second google search really kills this thread...

This is from last offseason:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-minicamp-takeaways-quinn-challenges-receivers-trufant-works-on-ball-skil

Trufant working to become a better ball-hawk

Quinn wasn’t the only person to spend a portion of time with the receivers. Cornerback Desmond Trufant was seen working with receiver Mohamed Sanu to catch passes from the quarterbacks early in practice.

The reason for this, as Quinn explained after practice, was to help Trufant work on making the difficult catches that he might see during a game.

Welp, so much for Trufant working on ball-catching skillz. Maybe they can equip him with an XL butterfly net. :lol:

athell likes this

4 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

He might suffer from lack of depth perception. I recently developed it and I struggle to catch footballs and baseball now. And my hands use to be one of my strengths. And regular glasses don't fix it

Right there with you man. Can't see out of my left eye due to glaucoma. 

Tried playing softball for my job's league and was surprised at all the throws I was dropping warming up. **** sucks.

youngbloodz likes this

Just now, stizz said:

Right there with you man. Can't see out of my left eye due to glaucoma. 

Tried playing softball for my job's league and was surprised at all the throws I was dropping warming up. **** sucks.

Man I feel you. I can catch the football 3 out of 10 times. Sucks for real

stizz likes this

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

So let me get this straight here... If I disagree with you while someone else also disagrees with you it makes me gay? But whenever you've disagreed with me while someone else also disagreed with me at the same time it was normal?

That's some hardcore mental gymnastics my dude. I hope you find some sort of happiness.

Do you even know what you are disagreeing with? You have the slightest idea, and I bet you practiced before learning how to type. 

30 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Do you even know what you are disagreeing with? You have the slightest idea, and I bet you practiced before learning how to type. 

Lol learning how to type = learning how to catch? 

6 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Lol learning how to type = learning how to catch? 

Roddy White didn’t know how to type when he got drafted.  Brian Finneran and Joe Horn had to teach him.

Osiruz likes this

40 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

Roddy White didn’t know how to type when he got drafted.  Brian Finneran and Joe Horn had to teach him.

He had issues but got better. He knew how to catch. Trufant just can't catch at all. Plus Roddy only struggled with Vick throwing missiles

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

He had issues but got better. He knew how to catch. Trufant just can't catch at all. Plus Roddy only struggled with Vick throwing missiles

I think it’s because UAB didn’t emphasize typing in their program.

Osiruz likes this

22 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

I think it’s because UAB didn’t emphasize typing in their program.

If it was as easy as practice makes better catcher then no one in the NFL would have dropping issues.

ya_boi_j likes this

I don't understand why some of y'all are acting like it's impossible to improve your ability to catch?

Trufant is never going to be a ball hawk suddenly catching everything thrown his way a la Ed Reed. But it seems like some of y'all are completely dismissing the possibility that he can improve his hands with practice.

Osiruz and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, Factz said:

I don't understand why some of y'all are acting like it's impossible to improve your ability to catch?

Trufant is never going to be a ball hawk suddenly catching everything thrown his way a la Ed Reed. But it seems like some of y'all are completely dismissing the possibility that he can improve his hands with practice.

He’s entering his 7th season. If you really think it’s going to improve at this point you’re fooling yourself. He’s been working on it for YEARS and it hasn’t gotten any better. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

He’s entering his 7th season. If you really think it’s going to improve at this point you’re fooling yourself. He’s been working on it for YEARS and it hasn’t gotten any better. 

Lmao so I guess he should give up, stop trying...

Find me one coach or player who would agree with the sentiment that you cannot improve a weakness in your game through studying and practicing. 1st year, 7th year, 13th year. That's what practice is for.

He's 28, there's literally every chance in the world it can improve, however incremental that improvement might be, to completely dismiss this possibility is actually ridiculous.

Vandy and Osiruz like this

1 hour ago, Factz said:

Find me one coach or player who would agree with the sentiment that you cannot improve a weakness in your game through studying and practicing. 1st year, 7th year, 13th year. That's what practice is for.

He's 28, there's literally every chance in the world it can improve, however incremental that improvement might be, to completely dismiss this possibility is actually ridiculous.

I haven’t dismissed anything. Catching isn’t a part of his game. He’s been working to improve his catching for YEARS. You can scream practice makes perfect until you die but if the guy hasn’t shown any improvement by now then why in the **** should I believe it’s  going to get any better all of a sudden just because a few people say practice makes you better. Clearly practice has not made him any better at that one aspect and likely never will. You can hope for the best all you want but if it isn’t in you it just isn’t in you. 

1 hour ago, Factz said:

Agree. You can always improve and get better, be it in sports or in life as a person. For some people, just one little tweak here or there and all the sudden the light comes on and it clicks. 

Let’s hope Tufant has 7 int’s in this His 7th year!

Osiruz and Factz like this

15 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

If it was as easy as practice makes better catcher then no one in the NFL would have dropping issues.

Lmao ok practice doesn't literally make you perfect, but better means increases your odds of success bro. :lol:

9 hours ago, Factz said:

Now you know what I was dealing with, makes no sense. He could be practicing but probably not doing it right, or he hasn't put it all together but eventually he will succeed or get better.

Factz likes this

9 hours ago, Factz said:

No one said he should stop.  And he won't stop.  Dude can't catch tho, at least on game day.  Can't teach a leopard his spots...

ya_boi_j likes this

On 5/17/2019 at 6:06 PM, ya_boi_j said:

Nah. You just gotta accept that catching simply isn’t part of his game. You don’t have to like it but you can’t do anything about it. For all you know he is doing these things but they simply don’t help. 

Neither is tackling. Obviously.

So what IS his game? He'd be such a better CB with a reasonable number of INTs. Maybe just catch *half* the balls that hit him in the hands?

And I don't believe this crap that you can't improve catching the ball with effort. Tell that to Jerry Rice or Tony Gonzalez.

2 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

So what IS his game? He'd be such a better CB with a reasonable number of INTs. Maybe just catch *half* the balls that hit him in the hands?

And I don't believe this crap that you can't improve catching the ball with effort. Tell that to Jerry Rice or Tony Gonzalez.

He's a good tackler.  gtfo with "obviously"

His game is being an excellent press defender with wr mirror abilities, sticky coverage, and pass breakups.  

You can believe what you want to believe, catching isn't something that can be taught to people who can't catch much like you aren't going to teach Matt Ryan to run a 4.4 40 yard dash.  Jerry and Tony both could catch, and then worked to improve their ability to catch.  Des can't catch (here is where you put obviously in).  Can't teach people who can't catch, how to catch on a consistent basis.  Not gonna happen.  

12 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

The pure fact that you mentioned 2 hall of fame players on the offensive side of the ball that actually got paid to catch the ball is enough for me not to even waste time going back and forth eventually repeating myself. That’s worse than trying to compare the nfl to the nba. 

athell likes this

10 minutes ago, athell said:

He's a good tackler.  gtfo with "obviously"

His game is being an excellent press defender with wr mirror abilities, sticky coverage, and pass breakups.  

You can believe what you want to believe, catching isn't something that can be taught to people who can't catch much like you aren't going to teach Matt Ryan to run a 4.4 40 yard dash.  Jerry and Tony both could catch, and then worked to improve their ability to catch.  Des can't catch (here is where you put obviously in).  Can't teach people who can't catch, how to catch on a consistent basis.  Not gonna happen.  

I was expecting more considering this thread was dead and irrelevant at this point

athell likes this

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

I was expecting more considering this thread was dead and irrelevant at this point

Honestly, there is really nothing else to be said.  I'm beaten down by stupidity.  It won, j.  It won.

Vandy, ya_boi_j and Yo_Lover like this

1 minute ago, athell said:

Honestly, there is really nothing else to be said.  I'm beaten down by stupidity.  It won, j.  It won.

Touché. Sometimes peeps just gotta let what’s dead Rest In Peace. 

athell likes this

On 5/18/2019 at 10:57 AM, athell said:

Cool.  Keep believing in ancient and non factual coaching cliches.

Practice real hard, maybe someday you can become an actually good poster.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:00 AM, Osiruz said:

*Cool,

*some day,

*practice hard

see, if you practice with your grammar you would get good at that too. I am sure your approval to me means as much as practice to you :lol:

Just as a PSA, "someday" is actually the correct form to use in this instance. "Someday" is an unspecified time in the future, whereas "some day" means a specific but unspecified time. Basically if you don't follow "some day" with "this/next week" or something similar, "someday" is actually correct. 

I knew I didn't get that English degree for nothing. 

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

Just as a PSA, "someday" is actually the correct form to use in this instance. "Someday" is an unspecified time in the future, whereas "some day" means a specific but unspecified time. Basically if you don't follow "some day" with "this/next week" or something similar, "someday" is actually correct. 

I knew I didn't get that English degree for nothing. 

Someday I may remember this...

:lol:

(I laughed Lor, thank you)

Lornoth likes this