stizz

Why Desmond Trufant could learn something from Sanu

133 posts in this topic

It's that time of the year where there's no football and since the Falcons digital team doesn't provide us with much on YouTube, random threads about the team will be popping up. This is one of them. 

When we signed Sanu, I remember hearing how we overpaid and how one of his biggest flaws were his hands. I remember that offseason not liking the signing and then liking it immediately when dude would routinely post videos of his footwork and how he would be point blank at the juggs machine working on his hands. Now, Sanu's hands remain one of his strengths. 

I know Trufant isn't on social media, but everyone and their mother knows what he needs to work on and he seemingly neglects it. Sanu needs to train with the guy and get him where he needs to be with his hands. 

Plate flips, juggs machine etc. We need Trufant to work on his game so that those pass breakups on second down turn into interceptions and not another chance for the opposition. 

PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, athell said:

How do you know he doesn't?

Seeing the ball hit off his hands in almost every interception opportunity means it's likely he isn't putting in that much work.

If Sanu came over here and his hands looked like they did in Cincy, we'd all think he didn't take the time to work on his hands.

PokerSteve likes this

Just now, stizz said:

Seeing the ball hit off his hands in almost every interception opportunity means it's likely he isn't putting in that much work.

If Sanu came over here and his hands looked like they did in Cincy, we'd all think he didn't take the time to work on his hands.

That's not really how it works sometimes.  Shaq could make free throws in practice all day, in the game...not so much.

You can't really teach guys who can't catch how to catch.  Sanu was a WR.  It's his job to catch balls.  Tru's job isn't primarily to catch balls.

I would find it highly highly doubtful Tru doesn't hit jugs machines routinely, but that's not the same as flipping hips, getting your head around, and picking off a ball with a wr draped on you.

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Nah. You just gotta accept that catching simply isn’t part of his game. You don’t have to like it but you can’t do anything about it. For all you know he is doing these things but they simply don’t help. 

I'm 100 percent certain dude isn't laying on his back or getting his hands point blank at a juggs machine the way Sanu is.

Trufant doesn't have to accept it that he's Fred Smoot.

How many MLB/NBA players had major flaws in their game before becoming more well rounded and not accepting just being decent?. Kawhi Leonard is a prime example.

Xero and Osiruz like this

Just now, stizz said:

I'm 100 percent certain dude isn't laying on his back or getting his hands point blank at a juggs machine the way Sanu is.

How many MLB/NBA players had major flaws in their game before becoming more well rounded and not accepting just being decent?. Kawhi Leonard is a prime example.

You aren't tho

Just now, athell said:

You aren't tho

You just said yourself it's likely he isn't working on his hands because he's working on footwork/trail techniques. 

Just now, stizz said:

You just said yourself it's likely he isn't working on his hands because he's working on footwork/trail techniques. 

I did not

Well a 3 second google search really kills this thread...

This is from last offseason:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-minicamp-takeaways-quinn-challenges-receivers-trufant-works-on-ball-skil

Trufant working to become a better ball-hawk

Quinn wasn’t the only person to spend a portion of time with the receivers. Cornerback Desmond Trufant was seen working with receiver Mohamed Sanu to catch passes from the quarterbacks early in practice.

The reason for this, as Quinn explained after practice, was to help Trufant work on making the difficult catches that he might see during a game.

3 minutes ago, athell said:

That's not really how it works sometimes.  Shaq could make free throws in practice all day, in the game...not so much.

You can't really teach guys who can't catch how to catch.  Sanu was a WR.  It's his job to catch balls.  Tru's job isn't primarily to catch balls.

I would find it highly highly doubtful Tru doesn't hit jugs machines routinely, but that's not the same as flipping hips, getting your head around, and picking off a ball with a wr draped on you.

That defines what you are as a player. If I'm making millions and love the game, I'm trying to become the most well rounded player I can be. I wouldn't be accepting the fact that my hands suck when an entire city and the rest of the league knows it.

It's true you can't much change the type of player you are, but you can certainly change traits, meaning guys who are looked at as soft like Beasley or Trufant can't magically become tough guys, but there are things in their game they can work on to become better players.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Well a 3 second google search really kills this thread...

This is from last offseason:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-minicamp-takeaways-quinn-challenges-receivers-trufant-works-on-ball-skil

Trufant working to become a better ball-hawk

Quinn wasn’t the only person to spend a portion of time with the receivers. Cornerback Desmond Trufant was seen working with receiver Mohamed Sanu to catch passes from the quarterbacks early in practice.

The reason for this, as Quinn explained after practice, was to help Trufant work on making the difficult catches that he might see during a game.

What does the first sentence of this thread say?

6 minutes ago, stizz said:

Again, you just gotta accept that it’s not in his game. You can make every comparison that you want to make and assume you know his workout routine regarding catching but at the end of the day, if it’s not something he’s good at, it’s not something he’s good at. Even if he hit the jugs 10 hours a day it wouldn’t mean **** in real game situations

Geneaut, TheFatboi, Yo_Lover and 1 other like this

Just now, stizz said:

What does the first sentence of this thread say?

We gonna dance, huh?

The whole point of your thread was to crap on Trufant for not putting in the work with someone like Sanu to improve his hands.

Your words, not mine:

he seemingly neglects it

We need Trufant to work on his game

I posted an article where he was LITERALLY PUTTING IN THE WORK WITH SANU TO IMPROVE HIS HANDS and you are gonna pull back like you were right?  What does the first sentence say?  lmao bro that's like people who think leading with "No offense..." eliminates all offensive **** they are about to say.  Don't work like that.

Next.

Geneaut, Lornoth, Yo_Lover and 5 others like this

46 minutes ago, athell said:

We gonna dance, huh?

The whole point of your thread was to crap on Trufant for not putting in the work with someone like Sanu to improve his hands.

Your words, not mine:

he seemingly neglects it

I posted an article where he was LITERALLY PUTTING IN THE WORK WITH SANU TO IMPROVE HIS HANDS and you are gonna pull back like you were right?  What does the first sentence say?  lmao bro that's like people who think leading with "No offense..." eliminates all offensive **** they are about to say.  Don't work like that.

Next.

I never denied what I said. I said random articles will arise during the offseason. 

25 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Sanu's hands were never a problem. Just a few uniformed people such as yourself read something from a salty Bengals fan and ran with it. 

I watched his tape when we signed him. His hands were inconsistent. Back to those fries.

Just now, stizz said:

I watched his tape when we signed him. His hands were inconsistent. Back to those fries.

"Tape" means YouTube highlights?

ya_boi_j likes this

50 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Again, you just gotta accept that it’s not in his game. You can make every comparison that you want to make and assume you know his workout routine regarding catching but at the end of the day, if it’s not something he’s good at, it’s not something he’s good at. Even if he hit the jugs 10 hours a day it wouldn’t mean **** in real game situations

Played basketball growing up. Would always settle for jump shots. A coach told me one day to work on dribbling and driving and I never looked back. Practice can apply to games man. Al Horford wasn't shooting 3s when he came into the league. All Dwight Howard could do at one point was dunk, before he started working inside. Kawhi was just scrappy before becoming what he is. I know it's a different sport, but practice makes perfect. 

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

"Tape" means YouTube highlights?

All 22 and some game tape. 

19 minutes ago, stizz said:

I never denied what I said. I said random articles will arise during the offseason. 

Actually you said random threads will be popping up since there is a lack of Falcons media being posted.  @athell linked an actual ARTICLE, not a message boarders thread (like this as you stated in the first sentence).

athell and Yo_Lover like this

1 hour ago, athell said:

We gonna dance, huh?

Your words, not mine:

he seemingly neglects it

Next.

Scratch that. I can say when I'm wrong. I knew Quinn wanted him to work on hands but didn't know he worked with Sanu. Could be a mental thing like Markell Fultz or Ben Simmons instead of a repetition thing. My b. 

14 minutes ago, stizz said:

Played basketball growing up. Would always settle for jump shots. A coach told me one day to work on dribbling and driving and I never looked back. Practice can apply to games man. Al Horford wasn't shooting 3s when he came into the league. All Dwight Howard could do at one point was dunk, before he started working inside. Kawhi was just scrappy before becoming what he is. I know it's a different sport, but practice makes perfect. 

You're right, but I played WR growing up and up into some higher levels and you can't teach someone that just can't catch to catch.  It's just one of those things.  You can teach people to catch better and more consistently who already can catch, but it's very uncommon for someone to come in with hands of stone and and leave with being a decent catcher.  It just doesn't work like that.

To this point, and as the article I posted references, he is at least practicing and working on it.  I would not expect it to result in many more picks on game day though.