Dimitroff: “More Changes Are Coming”

I wonder if Pioli is taking several key scouts with him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/39485973

Pioli steps down as assistant GM of Atlanta Falcons

AP | 2 hours ago

icon-sms_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-mail_24.svg

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — Scott Pioli stepped down Thursday after more than five years as assistant general manager of the Atlanta Falcons, the latest front-office change for a team coming off a disappointing season.

"I am ready for a change," he said in a statement released by the team.

Pioli said he had intended to spend only two or three years working under Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff. He thanked the team for giving him a chance to carry on his career after he was fired as Kansas City's general manager following a dismal 2-14 season in 2012.

"I came in to work closely with Thomas on personnel structure, processes and decisions," Pioli said. "I loved the concept, was confident I could provide value and have enjoyed the challenge."

Now, he's ready "to pursue other potential opportunities." His departure comes one day after Mike Maccagnan was fired as general manager of the New York Jets, a team that Pioli worked for as director of pro personnel from 1997-2000.

Dimitroff described the 54-year-old Pioli as a "dear friend" who has "not only provided tremendous value to me, but to the entire the Falcons organization."

Pioli departs the Falcons following a 7-9 season and shake-up in the front office.

Longtime scout Shepley Heard has taken over as director of pro personnel from Joel Collier, who is now serving as a national scout. Collier spent the last three years as Atlanta's director of pro personnel. Before that, he worked under Pioli in Kansas City as the assistant GM.

Dimitroff indicated that more changes are coming for a team that made the Super Bowl during the 2016 season.

"We are continuing to assess the structure within our organization and move forward with our next steps," he said.

Pioli was Kansas City's GM from 2009-12. Prior to that, he worked for nearly a decade with Bill Belichick in New England's personnel department.

The Chiefs won the AFC West title in 2010 — their only playoff appearance during Pioli's tenure — but his regime was marred by allegations that he maintained a toxic work environment based on secrecy and intimidation, including suspicions expressed by coach Todd Haley that his personal cellphone had been tampered with before he was fired.

Late in the 2012 season, Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend before taking his own life at the team's training facility in front of Pioli and other team officials.

34 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’d be stunned if he wasn’t.  He will take key personnel with him, too

Oh no doubt... pretty sure that's why the article specifically mentioned the shifts taking place w/ Sheply Heard taking over as Director of Pro Personnel from Joel Collier. Collier was Pioli's assistant GM in KC, so if Pioli goes to the Jets, it's almost a given that Collier will join him there.

56 minutes ago, vel said:

Oohhh that'd be must see TV. Pioli and Gase?! :munch:

No kidding. They had fans in KC hiring planes on game day to fly banners about firing Pioli. He was hated in KC, he tried to do Belichick's micromanagement without Belichick's genius and just bombed. He got to rehab his career here.

If he learned his lesson in KC, he might be able to make it work with Gase.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

No kidding. They had fans in KC hiring planes on game day to fly banners about firing Pioli. He was hated in KC, he tried to do Belichick's micromanagement without Belichick's genius and just bombed. He got to rehab his career here.

That bad, eh?

Falcon fans put up with the Smiths' for years.

KC fans are passionate.

22 minutes ago, falconidae said:

I mean, Hailey accused Pioli of tampering with his cell phone before he was fired.  He was loathed in KC

14 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Looks like bad editing, they probably had a full paragraph bout that, then, had to cut the article down, should have just cut that sentence out as well.

Good take. Horrible to let that in. I was a wanna be editor, but always ran my work by two trusted literate folks prior to publishing.

22 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Looks like bad editing, they probably had a full paragraph bout that, then, had to cut the article down, should have just cut that sentence out as well.

Whenever I think epic editing fail, The Vancouver Sun always comes to mind.  How does this ever get published?

Jordan-Subban-dark-guy-in-middle.jpg

2 hours ago, k-train said:

The timing of this seems really odd if he isn't about to be named GM of the Jets.

I don't think the timing is odd at all.  This is usually when teams adjust thing in the scouting and pro personnel departments. 

The free agency wave is done, the draft is done so last year's staff has wrapped up thier work. 

You adjust things now so your new folks can ramp up and start scouting/evaluating next years Draft free agent class.

Pioli probably wants to make sure he is available when others start making changes as well.  

15 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I wonder if Pioli is taking several key scouts with him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/39485973

Pioli steps down as assistant GM of Atlanta Falcons

AP | 2 hours ago

icon-sms_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-mail_24.svg

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — Scott Pioli stepped down Thursday after more than five years as assistant general manager of the Atlanta Falcons, the latest front-office change for a team coming off a disappointing season.

"I am ready for a change," he said in a statement released by the team.

Pioli said he had intended to spend only two or three years working under Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff. He thanked the team for giving him a chance to carry on his career after he was fired as Kansas City's general manager following a dismal 2-14 season in 2012.

"I came in to work closely with Thomas on personnel structure, processes and decisions," Pioli said. "I loved the concept, was confident I could provide value and have enjoyed the challenge."

Now, he's ready "to pursue other potential opportunities." His departure comes one day after Mike Maccagnan was fired as general manager of the New York Jets, a team that Pioli worked for as director of pro personnel from 1997-2000.

The Chiefs won the AFC West title in 2010 — their only playoff appearance during Pioli's tenure — but his regime was marred by allegations that he maintained a toxic work environment based on secrecy and intimidation, including suspicions expressed by coach Todd Haley that his personal cellphone had been tampered with before he was fired.

Late in the 2012 season, Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend before taking his own life at the team's training facility in front of Pioli and other team officials.

The Falcons were a cooling off spot for him. He practically got ran out of KC on a rail and other staff and KC fans hated him.

I guess he figures enough time has passed where he can start fresh elsewhere.