WOR

General Draft Thread

1,235 posts in this topic

Four Under-The-Radar NBA Draft Prospects

Grant Williams, Tyler Herro, Mattisse Thybulle, Dylan Windler

by Brandon- @AZSportsZone

The 2019 NBA Draft Lottery is approaching. While this draft may not be star-heavy or have a ton of big names that move the needle outside of a select few, there are some very interesting prospects that could become elite role players or valuable starters throughout the first round and even the early second round. Here’s a look at four prospects I’m personally higher on than the consensus that range from the late lottery to the early 2nd round.

1) Grant Williams- F, Tennessee
6’7”, 220 lbs., 20 years old

Williams.png
Williams is the youngest junior in the entire draft at just 20 years old on draft day, and he’s shown dramatic improvement year after year at Tennessee. He’s a hard-nosed bulldozer that may be undersized at the next level but possesses the strength to make up for it. He is one of the most underrated passers in this class, as his vision and skills with the ball are a bit under-looked by the casual fan. He isn’t the quickest guy, but he moves well enough and understands how to use angles to keep up with quicker players on defense.

He does need to improve his three-point shot, because at times he looks totally uncomfortable shooting from deep, but he has immaculate touch around the rim and has improved his free throw percentage each year at Tennessee, along with his points and assists per game numbers while getting more efficient each season.

Freshman year: 12.6 PPG, 1.1 APG, 66.3% FT
Sophomore year: 15.2 PPG, 1.9 APG, 76.4% FT
Junior year: 18.8 PPG, 3.1 APG, 81.8% FT

This type of improvement is why I’m higher on him than most despite his deficiencies. He has a killer work ethic that will help him succeed at the next level, and if you look at the types of players in drafts that usually wind up being steals it’s the ones that work their tails off to steadily improve each year until they become the most complete player possible. Look at the impact guys like PJ Tucker and Draymond Green have had in the playoffs. I’m leaning towards labeling Williams as a trendsetter or outlier as those guys have been throughout their career.

Where he’s going in mock drafts:
ESPN: 23rd
NBADraftRoom: 31st
NBADraftNet: 34th
Tankathon: 21st
CBS: 13th
The Stepien: 13th

Where I have him: Late lottery (11-14 range)

2) Tyler Herro- SG, Kentucky.
6’6”, 195 lbs., 19 years old.

Herro’s season at Kentucky was a bit up and down, but he really started to come into form and ramp
Herro.png
things up to close out the year strong. He showcased his creativity with the ball and his pure stroke from long range. He shot 35% from three-point range on over 4.6 attempts per game along with an incredible 93% free throw clip. A lot of mock drafts and big boards I’ve seen have him anywhere from the mid to late first round, but in a league where shooting and play-making from the perimeter is extremely valuable, I think some teams in the late lottery will regret it if they pass on him. Every team in the NBA is constantly searching for reliable shooting, making Herro a sought-after commodity especially if he continues to improve in other areas of his game.

Kentucky guards in the past have shown that sometimes they don’t always get to flash their entire array of skills or reach their full potential due to how stacked their teams can be depth-wise. If you’re taking Herro you’re betting on him having a lot more in his bag than he’s shown, which I think he does.

ESPN: 16th
NBADraftRoom: 15th
NBADraftNet: 21st
Tankathon: 18th
CBS: 28th
The Stepien: 22nd

Where I have him: Late lottery (12-15 range)

3) Mattisse Thybulle- G/F, Washington
6’5”, 205 lbs., 22 years old

Thybulle is one of the more intriguing defensive prospects we’ve seen in a long time with his
mt.png
ridiculous steal and block rates (stocks). He averaged an otherworldly 3.5 steals per game along with 2.2 blocks per game last season. Washington does play a zone defense that allows him to play almost as a free safety making excellent reads off the ball, but with the transition to playing man to man defense at the next level it’ll be interesting to see how he adjusts. His instincts and off-ball prowess are not in question, but will he be able to be as much of a menace at the point of attack?

Offensively he has some question marks as far as what his ceiling is. He is an extraordinary athlete with quick twitch fibers that allows him to explode in transition and off the dribble. He gets a lot of comparisons to Andre Roberson, but I think he has a little more offensive potential and could potentially become an efficient (low volume) three-point shooter. He is a career 35% three-point shooter and shot over 85% from the charity stripe this year.

Perimeter defense is vital in today’s NBA when trying to slow down some of the elite scorers in the game and that’s what you’re hoping Thybulle develops into: a defensive stopper.

ESPN: 24th
NBADraftRoom: 27th
NBADraftNet: 29th
Tankathon: 26th
CBS: 33rd
The Stepien: 21st

Where I have him: Mid 1st (17-22 range)

4) Dylan Windler- F, Belmont.
6’8”, 210 lbs., 21 years old.

One of the most valuable things a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick can offer you is one elite-
windler.png
level NBA-ready skill that translates right off the bat. Windler offers that in his smooth shooting stroke from deep and has shown he can get it off in a variety of ways. The lanky lefty not only has a sweet stroke, but he has very good size and can put the ball on the deck and make plays for others as well. Windler isn’t the quickest player, but he is extremely crafty and has a high basketball IQ that helps him get his shot off whenever he wants it. His competitive nature and steady improvement during his career at Belmont should make him an intriguing late 1st round pick. He has a little bit of Joe Ingles in his game but with more juice.

Windler constantly faced double coverage all season long at Belmont as he was the go-to guy for the Bruins on offense averaging 21.3 PPG and 10.3 RPG on 54/42/84 shooting splits his senior season. He is a career 40 percent shooter from three-point range and has improved in each of his four seasons from that department. He isn’t an elite playmaker, but he makes the right reads with smart, high-IQ passes, reading the defense. He has all the skills to develop into a valuable starter or even an elite role player, which is all you can ask for from a prospect in his range.

ESPN: 31st
NBADraftRoom: 30th
NBADraftNet: 37th
Tankathon: 36th
CBS: 29th
The Stepien: N/A (1st round only)

Where I have him: Late 1st (24-28 range)

As you can see, these four guys I focused on may not have super-star potential or anything like that, but they project to provide valuable skills that will translate right away. In the range these prospects are projected to go, I believe they could be the best “bang for your buck” values in the entire draft. I don’t blame teams for passing on some of these guys in order to try and hit a home run, but sometimes hitting a double is better than striking out.

Follow Brandon
@AZSportsZone
Arizona Sports Zone
jidady likes this

2019 NBA Mock Draft

# Team Player Updated 5/16/19 Comp.
1 Pelicans Zion Williamson PF - HT: 6-6 - WT: 272 - WING: 6-10 - FROM: Duke - Fr.
The Pelicans jump up to no.1 and are in position to land the franchise-altering Zion Williamson. And they will likely add a lot more young talent around Zion once they trade AD. No combine measurements.
air Barkley

2 Grizzlies Ja Morant
PG - HT: 6-3 - WT: 175 - WING: NA - FROM: Murray State - So.
The Grizzlies are in a great position to land their PG of the future in Morant. He could be on a quick path to All-Star level status. No combine measurements.
taller Iverson,
turbo D'Angelo

3 Knicks SF - HT: 6-6 - WT: 190 - WING: 6-9 - FROM: Duke (Canada) - Fr.
They miss out on Zion but R.J. is a nice consolation prize for the Knicks. Still, fans have got to be a little disappointed. No combine measurements.
Grant Hill, Angry Wiggins

4 Lakers SG - HT: 6-6 3/4 - WT: 194 - WING: 6-9 1/2 - FROM: Texas Tech - So.
The Lakers could land a win-now player in Culver. Or this pick could be sent away as part of a trade.
Kendall Gill, almost Paul Pierce

5 Cavs Jaxson Hayes C - HT: 6-11 1/2 - WT: 219 - WING: 7-3 1/2 - FROM: Texas - Fr.
The Cavs get their center of the future. Hayes is raw but has very intriguing upside. Measured well at the combine.
Hassan Whiteside+  
6 Suns Coby White PG - HT: 6-4 3/4 - WT: 191 - WING: 6-5 - FROM: UNC - Fr.
The Suns could pair White with Booker to give them toooo much scoring from their backcourt. That would be a fun team to watch. Garland is a real possibility here as well.
Cuttino Mobley, Jamal Murray
7 Bulls Darius Garland PG - HT: 6-2 - WT: 170 - WING: 6-3 - FROM: Vanderbilt - Fr.
The Bulls miss out on a top 3 pick but that could work out just fine. Garland is a good fit next to LaVine and the young bigs. No combine measurements.
bigger Jeff Teague

8 Hawks DeAndre Hunter SF - HT: 6-7 - WT: 222 - WING: 7-0 - FROM: Virginia - So.
Hunter would plug right into the young Hawks line-up, giving them a defensive minded, team-first guy who has some nice upside as well. No combine measurements.
Mikal Bridges

9 Wizards Bol Bol C - HT: 7-2 1/2- WT: 208 - WING: 7-7 - FROM: Oregon - Fr.
The Wizards need all the talent they can get and Bol has a lot of that, and he fits a position of need. His wight (208lbs) could scare a lot of teams away.
Rik Smits, Porzingis

10 Hawks (from Mavs) Sekou Doumbouya PF - HT: 6-9 - WT: 215 - WING: 6-11 - FROM: France - Int.00
A strong second half of the season has Sekou on the rise. The Hawks are putting talent all over the floor and are becoming one of the most exciting teams in the League. 1on1 interview
bigger OG Anunoby, Giannis lite

11 T-Wolves Nickeil Alexander-Walker PG - HT: 6-5 1/2- WT: 204 - WING: 6-9 1/2- FROM: Virginia Tech - So.
The Wolves need a young PG and NAW is a great two-way prospect who should be ready to contribute early in his career.
SGA

12 Hornets Cameron Reddish SG - HT: 6-8 - WT: 208 -WING: 7-0 1/2 - FROM: Duke - Fr.
All the tools and natural talent are there for Cam to be successful in the League. Adding him next to the defensive-minded Miles Bridges works well.
more athletic Joe Johnson

13 Heat Goga Bitadze C - HT: 6-11 - WT: 250 - WING: 7-2 - FROM: Int. Georgia - Int.
Bitadze has benefited from the success of Nikola Jokic, as he fits kind of the same mold. He's a solid prospect in his own right and if it all works out the Heat would be getting a steal here.
Steven Adams

14 Celtics (from Kings) Tyler Herro SG - HT: 6-6 - WT: 192 - WING: 6-3 1/4- FROM: Kentucky - Fr.
It's hard to imagine Ainge passing on Herro with this pick. But this pick could could be part of a trade package as well.
Rex Chapman

15 Pistons KZ Okpala SF - HT: 6-9 1/2- WT: 209 - WING: 7-1 3/4- FROM: Stanford - So.
Scouts are mixed on KZ but he's got freaky length and an advanced to-the-basket game, making him a possible lottery pick. The Pistons have missed on wings in the past, hopefully this time it's different.
Brandon Ingram lite

Magic
Keldon Johnson SG - HT: 6-6 - WT: 211 - WING: 6-9 1/4 - FROM: Kentucky - Fr.
The Magic could use more shooting and get a young wing to develop in Keldon Johnson. Johnson can hit the 3 and is a great rebounder for his position.
Xavier Henry's upside
Nets
Brandon Clarke PF - HT: 6-8 1/4- WT: 207 - WING: 6-8 1/4- FROM: Gonzaga (Canada) - Jr.
The Nets get a steady, pro-ready player in Clarke, who brings great energy and can really excite the crowd with his dunking ability.
Kenyon Martin

18 Pacers Nassir Little SF - HT: 6-6 - WT: 224 - WING: 7-1 1/4- FROM: UNC - Fr.
The Pacers haven't been able to fill the void left by Paul George's departure. Little would bring defensive intensity and good upside to develop.
wealthy man's Jeremy Grant

Spurs
Rui Hachimura PF- HT: 6-8 - WT: 225 - WING: 7-2 - FROM: Gonzaga (Japan) - Jr.
Rui has some tantalizing upside and has shown steady improvement from year to year. If the Spurs can get him at no.19 it would be a steal (and an ideal fit).
Wilson Chandler +, Milsap

Celtics (from Clippers)
Daniel Gafford C - HT: 6-10 1/2- WT: 237 - WING: 7-2 1/4- FROM: Arkansas - So.
Gafford would give the Celtics more depth and a young big to develop behind Horford.
Marcus Camby, a focused JaVale

Thunder
Bruno Fernando C - HT: 6-10 1/4- WT: 237 - WING: 7-3 1/4- FROM: Maryland (Angola) - So.
The Thunder could look for some added muscle up front to back-up and develop behind Adams. Fernando is a shot blocker who shows flashes of offensive talent.
Emeka Okafor

Celtics
Kevin Porter Jr. SG - HT: 6-5 1/2 - WT: 213 - WING: 6-9 - FROM: USC - Fr.
An enigma. Porter Jr. has a boat-load of talent but some question marks as well. The C's could use the added fire-power.
Lonnie Walker

23 Jazz SG - HT: 6-6 - WT: 195 - WING: 6-11 - FROM: Indiana - Fr.
The Jazz have talent on the wing but could look to develop Langford and gamble on his elusive upside.
Rip Hamilton, Allen Crabbe

24 76ers Cam Johnson SF - HT: 6-8 1/2- WT: 205 - WING: 6-10 - FROM: UNC - Sr.
This would be a perfect fit for both player and team. Cam is a floor-spacer, versatile defender, and up-tempo athlete who would look great next to Embiid and Simmons.
a wet Justin Jackson
Blazers
Mfiondu Kabengele
PF - HT: 6-10 1/4- WT: 250 - WING: 7-3 - FROM: Florida State - So.
The Blazers are set at the guard position but need more talent in the frontcourt. Kabengele is a late-bloomer with an intriguing skill set.
Serge Ibaka
26 Cavs (from Rockets) SF - HT: 6-4 - WT: 235 - WING: 7-1 1/4- FROM: Iowa State - Fr.
This would be a nice addition for the Cavs. Talen is a polarizing prospect but he's got big upside with his wing-scoring/slashing ability.
better Keith Bogens

27 Nets (from Nuggets) Matisse Thybulle SF - HT: 6-6 - WT: 195 - WING: 7-0 - FROM: Washington - Sr.
The Nets have plenty of shooters and Thybulle would bring a defensive minded presence to the team.
Andre Roberson

Warriors
C - HT: 6-10 - WT: 239 - WING: 7-3 1/2- FROM: Western Kentucky (Nigeria) - Fr.
This would be a great value pick. Bassey isn't likely to have an impact next season but he's got upside and the Warriors can give him the time to develop.
Clint Capela, Bismack Biyombo

29 Spurs (from Raptors) Louis King SF - HT: 6-8 - WT: 195 -WING: 7-0 1/4- FROM: Oregon - Fr.
A fast rising prospect with nice length and athleticism, who can really score the ball. Scores from three levels and has ideal NBA size on the wing. Past injuries are a bit of a concern.
Jeff Green/Caron Butler

30 Bucks Grant Williams PF - HT: 6-7 1/2- WT: 240 - WING: 6-9 3/4 - FROM: Tennessee - Jr.
Williams is a tough, hard-nosed basketball player and a high level passer. A win-now player for the Bucks.
Draymond, P.J. Tucker

-

tl;dr likes this

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

@WORThis kid's game sort of reminds me of Draymond Green's game.  What do you think?

Grant Williams NBA Draft Scouting Report

Position

Height

Weight

From

PF  6-7 236  Tennessee

Born

Wingspan

Standing Reach

Vertical

11/30/98 6-10 1/2 NA  NA
Williams is a powerful post player who also has a lot of finesse in his game. He's an excellent passer and play-maker who plays smart, tough basketball.
Draymond, P.J. Tucker

Projection: mid to late first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft

He's not in the same stratosphere defensively, but I like him a lot 

Just a very solid player. Isn't great at anything, but is good at a ton. And he's super intelligent basketball wise.

I know the Hawks have said a lot that they won't take 5 guys, but they should lol

I know they didn't just compare Rui and Millsap. I'm offended. 

I'd use that comp for Grant Williams loonnggg before Rui

3 hours ago, WOR said:

I know they didn't just compare Rui and Millsap. I'm offended. 

I'd use that comp for Grant Williams loonnggg before Rui

Yeah that’s definitely a bad comp. Sap has an inside outside game Rui is more of in the box guy.  

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, WOR said:

@jayu70

Ah here's the stat I was looking for. 

Except the convo about Bembry-esque shooting was in regards to Thybulle.:D

Edited by jayu70

2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Except the convo about Bembry-esque shooting was in regards to Thybulle.:D

Son of a ***** lol. 

jayu70 likes this

@WOR

I must say, you’re convincing me with Clarke. I want to make it clear that I REALLY liked watching Clarke multiple times this past season, and I’d say he was one of my favorite players in CBB. I’m a BU fan & wasn’t even mad about the 2nd round matchup against Gonzaga because of the entertainment that Clarke was displaying. My biggest concern going to the NBA was his age, size, & thinking that his ceiling may not be too high.

Really though, the guy can play. I shouldn’t overthink it. Whoever is getting him is getting a high energy guy who can do multiple things for a team. His defense & rebounding are elite while his offense will be fine. 

I’m off the Bol Bol train. I liked him before his injury, and the recent news of his weight loss & all has me saying yikes. Outside of Culver & Hunter, my Top 5 guys in no order this very second are: Reddish, Clarke, Coby White, Doumbouya, and Nassir Little. 

Wanted to post this since I have seen some mention his name.

Nassir Little NBA Draft Scouting Report

Position

Height

Weight

From

SF  6-6  224 UNC

Born

Wingspan

Standing Reach

Vertical

2/11/00 7-1 1/4 8-8 1/2  38 1/2

Overview

Little is a well built and powerful athlete who has all the physical tools to be a big time NBA small
little.png
forward. He's a late bloomer type, who is just starting to put all his skills together and take his game to the next level. His Freshman season was inconsistent but the talent and ability is obvious and his ceiling is very high.

Strengths
Little is a menace on the defensive end. He's a hyper-active defender who moves his feet well, gets down in his stance and can guard all over the floor. He can handle almost any defensive assignment and seems to take the match up personally. His perimeter defense is truly special for a player his size.

He's got crazy length with a plus 8 wingspan, allowing him to play big, rebound in traffic and disrupt on the defensive end.

On the offensive end, he can score with his back to the basket, showing a nice turn around jumper and a slick up and under move. He has a quick spin move and drop step move and shows exceptional bounce to the rim. He has some combo forward skills and can be a small ball 4 or big wing.

Although 3 point shooting isn't a strength of his game at this point, he does have very nice mechanics and a chance to become a really good 3 point shooter. He elevates well on his jumper and has a smooth release. He also has the ball handling skills to create space with the dribble and shake his way into a jumper.

Little is a powerful driver who can drive the lane with either hand and has a nice little floater and good looking mid range game, to go along with his ability to get above the rim. If he can perfect his mid range game he'll be hard to handle.

A dynamic transition player who is at his best in an up tempo game.

He plays a complete game and has all the effort and intensity you can ask for. He rebounds and defends well and knows how to pass the rock and operate within the flow of the offense.

Big upside.

Weaknesses
For Nassir it's all about gaining consistency and staying on his current trajectory.

His 3 point shooting shows some promise but he needs to get more consistent and doesn't project to be a strong part of his game, at least early in his career. His overall feel on the offensive end can be lacking and his ball handling is so so.

Comparisons
Physically he reminds of Gerald Wallace and has a similar type of game (although Little is far more advanced at this stage, than Wallace was).

Has a little Kawhi Leonard in his game.

Projection: lottery to mid first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft

On 5/17/2019 at 2:35 PM, WOR said:

There's a reason the NBA doesn't just get 50 random 7 foot 5+ guys from around the globe to play center lol. Fall will get massacred in the NBA. See Boban Marjonovic. Except worse lol. 

I hope someone like the Knicks ends up with him. Would be funny when he flops to see them meltdown

On 5/17/2019 at 8:04 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

2019 NBA Mock Draft

# Team Player Updated 5/16/19 Comp.
1 Pelicans Zion Williamson PF - HT: 6-6 - WT: 272 - WING: 6-10 - FROM: Duke - Fr.
The Pelicans jump up to no.1 and are in position to land the franchise-altering Zion Williamson. And they will likely add a lot more young talent around Zion once they trade AD. No combine measurements.
air Barkley

2 Grizzlies Ja Morant
PG - HT: 6-3 - WT: 175 - WING: NA - FROM: Murray State - So.
The Grizzlies are in a great position to land their PG of the future in Morant. He could be on a quick path to All-Star level status. No combine measurements.
taller Iverson,
turbo D'Angelo

3 Knicks SF - HT: 6-6 - WT: 190 - WING: 6-9 - FROM: Duke (Canada) - Fr.
They miss out on Zion but R.J. is a nice consolation prize for the Knicks. Still, fans have got to be a little disappointed. No combine measurements.
Grant Hill, Angry Wiggins

4 Lakers SG - HT: 6-6 3/4 - WT: 194 - WING: 6-9 1/2 - FROM: Texas Tech - So.
The Lakers could land a win-now player in Culver. Or this pick could be sent away as part of a trade.
Kendall Gill, almost Paul Pierce

5 Cavs Jaxson Hayes C - HT: 6-11 1/2 - WT: 219 - WING: 7-3 1/2 - FROM: Texas - Fr.
The Cavs get their center of the future. Hayes is raw but has very intriguing upside. Measured well at the combine.
Hassan Whiteside+  
6 Suns Coby White PG - HT: 6-4 3/4 - WT: 191 - WING: 6-5 - FROM: UNC - Fr.
The Suns could pair White with Booker to give them toooo much scoring from their backcourt. That would be a fun team to watch. Garland is a real possibility here as well.
Cuttino Mobley, Jamal Murray
7 Bulls Darius Garland PG - HT: 6-2 - WT: 170 - WING: 6-3 - FROM: Vanderbilt - Fr.
The Bulls miss out on a top 3 pick but that could work out just fine. Garland is a good fit next to LaVine and the young bigs. No combine measurements.
bigger Jeff Teague

8 Hawks DeAndre Hunter SF - HT: 6-7 - WT: 222 - WING: 7-0 - FROM: Virginia - So.
Hunter would plug right into the young Hawks line-up, giving them a defensive minded, team-first guy who has some nice upside as well. No combine measurements.
Mikal Bridges

9 Wizards Bol Bol C - HT: 7-2 1/2- WT: 208 - WING: 7-7 - FROM: Oregon - Fr.
The Wizards need all the talent they can get and Bol has a lot of that, and he fits a position of need. His wight (208lbs) could scare a lot of teams away.
Rik Smits, Porzingis

10 Hawks (from Mavs) Sekou Doumbouya PF - HT: 6-9 - WT: 215 - WING: 6-11 - FROM: France - Int.00
A strong second half of the season has Sekou on the rise. The Hawks are putting talent all over the floor and are becoming one of the most exciting teams in the League. 1on1 interview
bigger OG Anunoby, Giannis lite

11 T-Wolves Nickeil Alexander-Walker PG - HT: 6-5 1/2- WT: 204 - WING: 6-9 1/2- FROM: Virginia Tech - So.
The Wolves need a young PG and NAW is a great two-way prospect who should be ready to contribute early in his career.
SGA

12 Hornets Cameron Reddish SG - HT: 6-8 - WT: 208 -WING: 7-0 1/2 - FROM: Duke - Fr.
All the tools and natural talent are there for Cam to be successful in the League. Adding him next to the defensive-minded Miles Bridges works well.
more athletic Joe Johnson

13 Heat Goga Bitadze C - HT: 6-11 - WT: 250 - WING: 7-2 - FROM: Int. Georgia - Int.
Bitadze has benefited from the success of Nikola Jokic, as he fits kind of the same mold. He's a solid prospect in his own right and if it all works out the Heat would be getting a steal here.
Steven Adams

14 Celtics (from Kings) Tyler Herro SG - HT: 6-6 - WT: 192 - WING: 6-3 1/4- FROM: Kentucky - Fr.
It's hard to imagine Ainge passing on Herro with this pick. But this pick could could be part of a trade package as well.
Rex Chapman

15 Pistons KZ Okpala SF - HT: 6-9 1/2- WT: 209 - WING: 7-1 3/4- FROM: Stanford - So.
Scouts are mixed on KZ but he's got freaky length and an advanced to-the-basket game, making him a possible lottery pick. The Pistons have missed on wings in the past, hopefully this time it's different.
Brandon Ingram lite

Magic
Keldon Johnson SG - HT: 6-6 - WT: 211 - WING: 6-9 1/4 - FROM: Kentucky - Fr.
The Magic could use more shooting and get a young wing to develop in Keldon Johnson. Johnson can hit the 3 and is a great rebounder for his position.
Xavier Henry's upside
Nets
Brandon Clarke PF - HT: 6-8 1/4- WT: 207 - WING: 6-8 1/4- FROM: Gonzaga (Canada) - Jr.
The Nets get a steady, pro-ready player in Clarke, who brings great energy and can really excite the crowd with his dunking ability.
Kenyon Martin

18 Pacers Nassir Little SF - HT: 6-6 - WT: 224 - WING: 7-1 1/4- FROM: UNC - Fr.
The Pacers haven't been able to fill the void left by Paul George's departure. Little would bring defensive intensity and good upside to develop.
wealthy man's Jeremy Grant

Spurs
Rui Hachimura PF- HT: 6-8 - WT: 225 - WING: 7-2 - FROM: Gonzaga (Japan) - Jr.
Rui has some tantalizing upside and has shown steady improvement from year to year. If the Spurs can get him at no.19 it would be a steal (and an ideal fit).
Wilson Chandler +, Milsap

Celtics (from Clippers)
Daniel Gafford C - HT: 6-10 1/2- WT: 237 - WING: 7-2 1/4- FROM: Arkansas - So.
Gafford would give the Celtics more depth and a young big to develop behind Horford.
Marcus Camby, a focused JaVale

Thunder
Bruno Fernando C - HT: 6-10 1/4- WT: 237 - WING: 7-3 1/4- FROM: Maryland (Angola) - So.
The Thunder could look for some added muscle up front to back-up and develop behind Adams. Fernando is a shot blocker who shows flashes of offensive talent.
Emeka Okafor

Celtics
Kevin Porter Jr. SG - HT: 6-5 1/2 - WT: 213 - WING: 6-9 - FROM: USC - Fr.
An enigma. Porter Jr. has a boat-load of talent but some question marks as well. The C's could use the added fire-power.
Lonnie Walker

23 Jazz SG - HT: 6-6 - WT: 195 - WING: 6-11 - FROM: Indiana - Fr.
The Jazz have talent on the wing but could look to develop Langford and gamble on his elusive upside.
Rip Hamilton, Allen Crabbe

24 76ers Cam Johnson SF - HT: 6-8 1/2- WT: 205 - WING: 6-10 - FROM: UNC - Sr.
This would be a perfect fit for both player and team. Cam is a floor-spacer, versatile defender, and up-tempo athlete who would look great next to Embiid and Simmons.
a wet Justin Jackson
Blazers
Mfiondu Kabengele
PF - HT: 6-10 1/4- WT: 250 - WING: 7-3 - FROM: Florida State - So.
The Blazers are set at the guard position but need more talent in the frontcourt. Kabengele is a late-bloomer with an intriguing skill set.
Serge Ibaka
26 Cavs (from Rockets) SF - HT: 6-4 - WT: 235 - WING: 7-1 1/4- FROM: Iowa State - Fr.
This would be a nice addition for the Cavs. Talen is a polarizing prospect but he's got big upside with his wing-scoring/slashing ability.
better Keith Bogens

27 Nets (from Nuggets) Matisse Thybulle SF - HT: 6-6 - WT: 195 - WING: 7-0 - FROM: Washington - Sr.
The Nets have plenty of shooters and Thybulle would bring a defensive minded presence to the team.
Andre Roberson

Warriors
C - HT: 6-10 - WT: 239 - WING: 7-3 1/2- FROM: Western Kentucky (Nigeria) - Fr.
This would be a great value pick. Bassey isn't likely to have an impact next season but he's got upside and the Warriors can give him the time to develop.
Clint Capela, Bismack Biyombo

29 Spurs (from Raptors) Louis King SF - HT: 6-8 - WT: 195 -WING: 7-0 1/4- FROM: Oregon - Fr.
A fast rising prospect with nice length and athleticism, who can really score the ball. Scores from three levels and has ideal NBA size on the wing. Past injuries are a bit of a concern.
Jeff Green/Caron Butler

30 Bucks Grant Williams PF - HT: 6-7 1/2- WT: 240 - WING: 6-9 3/4 - FROM: Tennessee - Jr.
Williams is a tough, hard-nosed basketball player and a high level passer. A win-now player for the Bucks.
Draymond, P.J. Tucker

-

Sign me up now

4 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Hunter is my second favorite after Zion!

I’d have loved Culver or Hunter at 3rd pick so getting Hunter at 8 is a dream come true.  I’d rather Little for high ceiling potential at 10.  

Then package all three 2nd round picks to move up to 24 and grab Thybulle.  This would be a great defensive draft with high ceiling offensively if Little puts it all together

Drew4719 and blkbigdog35 like this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’d have loved Culver or Hunter at 3rd pick so getting Hunter at 8 is a dream come true.  I’d rather Little for high ceiling potential at 10.  

Then package all three 2nd round picks to move up to 24 and grab Thybulle.  This would be a great defensive draft with high ceiling offensively if Little puts it all together

Little is definitely interesting considering his skill set.  Definitely can’t see the Hawks keeping all these draft picks!  

7 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Dang it man, don't get my hopes up for this haha

Drew4719 and FalconsIn2012 like this

23 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Dang it man, don't get my hopes up for this haha

You’d be down with 

Hunter

Little

Thybulle

Me too!!!  No joke, Little could end up the 2nd best player in this  draft.  I wish you could draft a player but leave them in college cause Little needs another year

tl;dr likes this

1 hour ago, Tomahawk Choppa said:

Thanks. Some sites had him as a PG/SG. 

No problem when I watched some UNC games this year he always ran point!

NBA Draft 2019: Atlanta Hawks reportedly ‘looking to unload’ at least one pick in trade

The Atlanta Hawks are the only team with multiple lottery picks in the 2019 NBA Draft and, in conjunction with the franchise’s rebuilding timeline, that opens up myriad possibilities for general manager Travis Schlenk and the front office. Before the lottery occurred, Schlenk was quoted as saying that the presence of five selections would give the team “flexibility” and, with that in mind, Michael Scotto of The Athleticbrings word of an interesting scenario. 

Scotto indicates that “several executives around the league cited the Hawks, Celtics, Nets and the 76ers as teams looking to unload at least one of their draft picks on the trade market.” This jives with Schlenk’s statement in early May that the Hawks “probably don’t want to add five rookies to the team” and, from a common sense standpoint, this adds up through that lens. 

It is important to note that the reporting does not focus singularly on the team’s lottery selections and, if anything, it might be as likely (or even more so) that the Hawks would shuffle one or more of their trio of second-round selections. Atlanta is scheduled to pick at No. 35, No. 41 and No. 44 when June 20 arrives but, with Schlenk’s first two drafts as potential precedent, the front office hasn’t been hesitant to wheel and deal in the past. 

Could the Hawks package multiple selections with an eye toward a specific player that might be off the board before No. 8 overall? Absolutely. That may not be a wise investment given the flat nature of this draft class but, if Schlenk and his staff fall in love with a specific prospect, an argument could be made that going to get “their guy” may be wise.

Could the Hawks move down from No. 8 and/or No. 10 with an eye toward value? Well, yes. Conventional wisdom dictates that sliding down the board in a draft considered flat would be a wise value proposition (particularly if the team would be able to select what they deem to be a similar prospect while acquiring an extra asset) and, even if the Hawks don’t want to add five rookies to the 2019-20 roster, additional capital could be used in trade or with the ability to stash players internationally for the future. 

In some ways, this reporting isn’t stunning and Schlenk has been active on the trade market in the past. Still, the notion is now publicly available that the Hawks could be open for business, making things all the more interesting over the next month. 

Stay tuned.

Atlanta Hawks: 2019 NBA offseason preview

Keith P Smith, RealGM
1 day ago

a man standing in front of a crowd© Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

The Atlanta Hawks were expected to be one of the worst teams in the NBA for the 2018-19 season but outperformed those expectations by a decent margin. Sure, the Hawks were among the worst defensive teams in the NBA, and the offense was prone to inconsistency, but Atlanta won 29 games. And the Hawks did so with a rotation that prominently featured three rookies, a second-year player and a third-year player.

Let’s start there, as Travis Schlenk has put some solid building blocks in place in his two years as general manager. In his first draft in 2017, Schlenk selected John Collins to pair with Taurean Prince, who had just finished his rookie year, as the Hawks forward tandem. Then, with three first-round picks in 2018, Schlenk drafted Trae Young, Kevin Huerter and Omari Spellman. Young and Huerter became Atlanta’s starting backcourt, while Spellman showed some potential as a backup big.

With the Hawks rebuilding after a decade of playoff appearances, it was important to nail draft picks, and that was where Schlenk placed most of his attention. He selected Collins 19th overall in 2017 and then swung a blockbuster trade at the 2018 draft. The Hawks moved back two spots to the fifth pick, while swapping the third pick to the Dallas Mavericks. That meant passing on Luka Doncic, but Atlanta drafted its point guard of the future in Young while also picking up an extra first rounder (10th pick in 2019).

Building through the draft is usually an exercise in compiling as much talent as possible and letting things sort themselves out over time. While Atlanta has taken that approach, it’s also happened to work out that all of their players fit well as pieces together. Very little of their young talent overlaps. Collins and Prince play the forward spots, Huerter is a classic wing, and Young is a lead guard. And they don’t just fit together by position either. They have complementary games as well. Young and Huerter are perimeter players. Prince is a slasher. Collins has a developing jumper but still does his best work in the paint.

Now it’s up to Schlenk to continue to give Lloyd Pierce, who did a nice job as a rookie head coach, the right pieces around his young core. At first glance it seems as if the positions of need for Atlanta are center and another wing. The 2019 NBA Draft is fairly light on centers, but Jaxson Hayes is thought to be the best prospect at the position. Things seem to be slotting for the Hawks to have a shot at drafting him with either the eighth or 10th pick. That’s perfect for Atlanta, as the Hawks can select Hayes and let him grow along with the rest of the young talent.

As for the wing spot, many mock drafts have Cam Reddish falling to the Hawks. That could be a major steal for Schlenk, as Reddish was considered a top prospect coming into this past season. He struggled to find his fit with all the other high-end talent at Duke, but scouts are still intrigued by Reddish’s 3&D potential on the wing. Because of his considerable upside, he’d be a worthy gamble for Atlanta.

Beyond that, the Hawks have a couple of holdover veterans to fill those roles for one more season, as Alex Len and Kent Bazemore are entering the final seasons of their contracts. Len is the favorite to start at the center spot, while Bazemore could either start on the wing or be a top reserve. Bazemore is also a trade candidate, as his $19.3 million salary would go a long way toward matching money in a trade.

As it has been since Schlenk took over, expect Atlanta to be active in trades this offseason. The Hawks project to have near $43 million in cap space. But they probably aren’t quite ready for top free agents to sign on just yet. They’re still a year away from that. But that sort of cap space makes Atlanta a prime trade partner.

Expect the Hawks to be prominently mentioned as the third team in to help facilitate trades. Schlenk is happy to take on a bad salary or two from another team, in exchange for picking up more draft picks or even more young talent. Atlanta can also offer Bazemore to contenders who are also looking to shed some salary while looking for wing help. It seems like a good bet that the Hawks will make at least one trade to eat some money while picking up an asset for the future.

As for free agency, expect Atlanta to be active around the edges. The Hawks will look for bargains that can fill a role, as they did with Len a season ago. DeWayne Dedmon has probably priced himself out of a deal that makes sense for where the Hawks are right now, and there is a good chance his rotation spot will be replaced by someone in the draft. Schlenk is on the record as saying he’d welcome Vince Carter back, but Carter will likely look to catch on with a contender for what could be his final NBA season.

That means you’re looking for undervalued free agents for Atlanta. Think about players willing to play on a short-term deal for fairly light money in exchange for an opportunity at playing time and a chance to build their value for the future. Some players who fit this profile are Alec Burks, Emmanuel Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Mario Hezonja, and even someone such as Jabari Parker. All of those players could come cheaply enough, as they look to regain some of their standing in the league.

While Hawks fans might be hoping for more out of this summer as they want to push things back toward the playoffs, the patient approach is the best approach. The young players need another year of seasoning, and don’t need high-priced veterans blocking their path to playing time. A year from now is when the Hawks will be poised to make their big splash. And Schlenk would like to do it with a few more future assets squirreled away to fill out his roster when they do.

Offseason Details

Guaranteed Contracts (9): Kent Bazemore, DeAndre’ Bembry, John Collins, Kevin Huerter, Alex Len, Miles Plumlee, Taurean Prince, Omari Spellman, Trae Young

Partial/Non-Guaranteed Contracts (2): Jaylen Adams, Deyonta Davis

Potential Free Agents (5): Justin Anderson (RFA), Vince Carter (UFA), DeWayne Dedmon (UFA), Isaac Humphries (RFA), Alex Poythress (RFA – Two-Way)

“Dead” Money on Cap ($0): None

First Round Draft Pick(s): #8, #10

Maximum Cap Space: $50.8 million

Projected Cap Space: $42.9 million