WOR

General Draft Thread

1,235 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, WOR said:

I didn't realize you were a fan of making ressler richer and not the actual team. 

My bad. 

Ressler IS making the team better.  He is spending a ton on renovating the arena,  the Emory Practice Facility, etc.   We finally have a competent owner / thank God!   We have an owner that will spend the money on top free agents when his smart GM tells him to do so.

You and I both only see a very small peephole of the overall picture.   You see picks 41/44 sold for cash and fret.

Schlenk knows what the h3LL he is doing.  I have seen NOTHING in two drafts so far to make me doubt him.   Eventually he will make a mistake but certainly not losing sleep over 41/44 in a weak draft.

Zone#7, FalconsIn2020, Beef and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

have no clue who these are.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Would have to be something like 5 to Atlanta, 17 + Kevin Love to Charlotte, and 10 + 12 to Cleveland?

This would be how it would work to make salaries work.

Cavs get #10 and #12, trade #5 and Love

Hornets get Love, trade #12 and Biyombo ($17 mil expiring)

Hawks get #5 and Biyombo, trade #10 and Plumlee to Cavs.

Reasons:

Cavs get the 2 picks they are looking for #5 and dump Love and save on Luxury Tax.

Hornets are trying to keep Kemba and give him vets to compete.

Hawks want to move to #5 and we take on salary to do so.

10 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Where's rhe rest of TS quote about his intentions for the 2nds.

He indicated he wasnt interested in selling the picks OUTRIGHT....he hasn't. He wants to keep the pick alive to use in future trades. Wether trade for future 2nds, draft n stash, they can all be used down the line

It's easy to say combine the picks and move up but it's harder to do, and he said as much also.

Do you prefer him to draft 3 guys in the 2nd and none make the team, then it just became an asset wasted since we won't keep their rights unless we actualnsign them to NBA contracts? Because that's more likely to happen than not.

Yes. Just never taking swings is dumb. Yall said the same exact thing last year when I was mad they didn't just take Mitchell. 

That Miami pick isn't an asset. It's a 4 pick window that you actually get the thing. Who is trading for that other than it just being some random dumb filler? In which case, just use your own pick and protect it outside of like picks 58-60. 

Sure, your batting average in the second round might be as bad as .200, so? At this rate(with how many 2nds we've punted), you could have actually hit on a decent player by now. That decent player would be worth *far* more than a meaningless second 5 years in the future. (Thinking of Mitchell specifically for this example). You take Mitchell, you could flip him for pick 15 anytime you want. 

Are yall saying you'd rather just punt every year over doing that? 

Just now, jayu70 said:

Knicks are posturing. They'll take Barrett.

You only bother to posture with an objective in mind.  What are they hoping someone will offer?  

g-dawg likes this

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Could the Hawks really move up for RJ if he is there at 5th?

Don’t know if the Knicks are blowing smoke or looking for a very lucrative deal.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Ressler IS making the team better.  He is spending a ton on renovating the arena,  the Emory Practice Facility, etc.   We finally have a competent owner / thank God!   We have an owner that will spend the money on top free agents when his smart GM tells him to do so.

You and I both only see a very small peephole of the overall picture.   You see picks 41/44 sold for cash and fret.

Schlenk knows what the h3LL he is doing.  I have seen NOTHING in two drafts so far to make me doubt him.   Eventually he will make a mistake but certainly not losing sleep over 41/44 in a weak draft.

Cough Mitchell Robinson Cough

If you look at what we've done with our second round picks under Schlenk at think it's a good use, that's fine. 

I vehemently disagree. 

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Is Barrett telling us something?  lol 

33x00k.jpg

Barrett wearing this tonight...hmmm

rj-barrett-pink-1a.jpg?quality=80&strip=

Where is that first picture from?

3 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

That’s the word but why would Agent of Garland or White let their client go to NY and workout and risk injury if they thought it a sham?

FalconsIn2020 likes this

4 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

No need to posture when you are in control of your pick...

1 minute ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Don’t know if the Knicks are blowing smoke or looking for a very lucrative deal.

Knicks could take RJ and sell him to the highest bidder. Especially if they believe they could still bring in some big FAs.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Let me put it in football terms. 

5th-6th rounders(How I few picks 30-45ish) are usually garbage. 

But that doesn't mean you just dump them every time. 

Sure you might get absolutely nothing 9 times out of 10, but that 10th time you get Grady Jarrett. 

You've gotta try. 

FalconsIn2020 and Zone#7 like this

2 minutes ago, WOR said:

Let me put it in football terms. 

5th-6th rounders(How I few picks 30-45ish) are usually garbage. 

But that doesn't mean you just dump them every time. 

Sure you might get absolutely nothing 9 times out of 10, but that 10th time you get Grady Jarrett. 

You've gotta try. 

Pretty much.

8 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Knicks could take RJ and sell him to the highest bidder. Especially if they believe they could still bring in some big FAs.

Yep 

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

Nic Claxton's hairline :lol:

Why are the pictures all of the prospects at 6-10 year olds and then Hunter looks like he is already shaving in his...lol 

17 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

This would be how it would work to make salaries work.

Cavs get #10 and #12, trade #5 and Love

Hornets get Love, trade #12 and Biyombo ($17 mil expiring)

Hawks get #5 and Biyombo, trade #10 and Plumlee to Cavs.

Reasons:

Cavs get the 2 picks they are looking for #5 and dump Love and save on Luxury Tax.

Hornets are trying to keep Kemba and give him vets to compete.

Hawks want to move to #5 and we take on salary to do so.

What is the point of Hawks taking Biyombo from Charlotte and moving Plumlee to Cleveland?  Why wouldn’t Charlotte  just push Biyombo back to Cleveland in that deal?

22 minutes ago, WOR said:

Yes. Just never taking swings is dumb. Yall said the same exact thing last year when I was mad they didn't just take Mitchell. 

That Miami pick isn't an asset. It's a 4 pick window that you actually get the thing. Who is trading for that other than it just being some random dumb filler? In which case, just use your own pick and protect it outside of like picks 58-60. 

Sure, your batting average in the second round might be as bad as .200, so? At this rate(with how many 2nds we've punted), you could have actually hit on a decent player by now. That decent player would be worth *far* more than a meaningless second 5 years in the future. (Thinking of Mitchell specifically for this example). You take Mitchell, you could flip him for pick 15 anytime you want. 

Are yall saying you'd rather just punt every year over doing that? 

14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Pretty much.

Schlenk stated exactly how he would deal with the 2nds...and did exactly that.

Listen at 14 min mark.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

What is the point of Hawks taking Biyombo from Charlotte and moving Plumlee to Cleveland?  Why wouldn’t Charlotte  just push Biyombo back to Cleveland in that deal?

Saves Cleveland $5 million.

g-dawg likes this