WOR

General Draft Thread

1,235 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Its not looking good in my opinion about the Hawks moving up.  A deal would have been done by now.  It could still happen but Atlanta isn't gonna give up every first round pick they got just to move up to 4 or 5.  I like the Cleveland trade scenario but again,  teams are trying to get too much from the Hawks...

That’s a great conclusion after @jayu70 basically cited his source saying the same thing one page ear:rolleyes:lier 

8 minutes ago, Champford said:

Or they could be waiting till draft night and see how the board shakes up before the Cleveland pick .

Yup. Also, they might be waiting Cleveland out to see whether they lower their demands the night of the draft. Last year, the Hawks wanted Dallas to give us a future first and eat Baze's contract in exchange for moving up to #3. The day of the draft, news broke that Atlanta would take just the future first, which is what happened.

New Orleans has several teams bidding, and they understandably want to cause a feeding frenzy for the pick. It doesn't seem to be happening since most people view this as a one-person draft followed by a two-player second tier and then a steep falloff, even at the third tier.

Champford likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

That’s a great conclusion after @jayu70 basically cited his source saying the same thing one page ear:rolleyes:lier 

One page earlier? Heck, we knew that back when the Knicks turned them down and nothing came out yesterday about Cleveland or New Orleans moving on anything.  I made the comment because I was holding out hope that something would get done today...

Edited by slickgadawg
FalconsIn2020 likes this

6 minutes ago, jidady said:

To be clear, I said PER, not PPG. I'm talking about the Hollinger stat that calculates overall player contribution.

My bad.  Yes, he will hit that number on a PER basis

My thinking is the thing that hurt the Hawks moving up to 3 or 4 is the Knicks drafting Garland at 3 and the Pelicans knowing that they can reunite Barrett with Zion with the 4th pick.  Thats why the Hawks tried to deal with Cleveland for the 5th pick because thats where Culver is gonna go...

In reading ESPN, I just realized that I forgot a first round pick earlier. We do have the Nets’ first round next year, although it’s lottery protected.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:37 PM, g-dawg said:

Like him.   Feel like he could develop and have a higher ceiling than many that will go ahead of him.

Boris Diaw comes to mind...very underrated player

5 hours ago, jidady said:

In reading ESPN, I just realized that I forgot a first round pick earlier. We do have the Nets’ first round next year, although it’s lottery protected.

Tried to tell ya :rolleyes:

Latest Rumblings:

.......there is more talk than ever on players with multiple years on contracts and picks. Said that New Orleans is being extremely active trying to move up and down the board. Said, the Hawks control the draft but Pels control the top half.

I do want to confirm, Pels want DeAndre Hunter but they want to move back from #4 to get him with hopes of enticing the Bulls. 

He said the Bulls have interest in moving up only if the terms are reasonable. Lottery protected pick with 2nd round rollover which didn't sit well with NO. 

He said NO wants to trade but not fall out of the top 8 and he doesn't see an avenue since no want to offer what they consider a great value. 

Atlanta's 10/17 is out there for the taking he said like it's been out there. Said, no one will bite and doesn't think anyone will. 

Says it will take a Luka like return to get them to move #4. Protected top #5 pick 2020. Their plans is to be ready when a Giannis or Beal becomes available via trade. 

Said they are targeting Beal if he doesn't sign the EXT from Washington which by all reports, they will. 

They even offered a deal to MEM to move up, also declined. 

Wanted ATL to give 8/17, also declined. 

Have been very aggressive during trade talks. 

Says Cleveland is split on #5. Coach wants Hunter. Mentioned the team wants to give the coach what he needs so Hunter will be the pick, otherwise, it's Culver who the team also likes. Mention, Garland is in the mix. 

Says PHX is locked into Coby White. 

Says CHI #1 option is Garland and #2 is Culver.  White is #3. They are split on four prospects: Hunter/Reddish/Little/Sekou. They do not want to end up without a guard option. They really really want Garland and there is some belief that he will fall to #7. 

Says Hawks have one goal for the top 8. Land two 1sts in this range. It's unlikely at this point and they are likely to keep their 1sts at this stage. 

Didn't speak on WAS

Said #10 is still shopped but they could keep the pick. 

Says MIN has real interest in #4 and the cost is very real for this draft. Very real. Says Goga will be the pick at #11 if it's NO. 

Said nothing on CHA/MIA and BOS. 

Said DET was looking for more picks and found a suitor. 

Said ORL is looking to add more picks as well. 

Said IND is looking at all options. They are targeting Rubio and D. Russell and remember, Russell is from Louisville, KY which is close to Indy. The interest is real. Moving down is an option.

OKC is still shopping pick to move down or to get out of Dennis or Adams contract. Said suitors are low but their is interest in Roberson. Likely still the Hawks. 

Spurs are looking to move up in the lottery. Targeting Keldon Johnson if they stay at 19. 

Philly is shopping 33/34 for a 1st

Atlanta is shopping 35/41 and mid tier cap space for a 1st

Said trades are expensive and he would not be surprised by the lack of trades in the draft and said, you might see some depending on who's available and at what spot. 

Doesn't expect fireworks this year. Salary and contracts are the theme of this draft. Teams want to clear cash or get 2nd rounders for salary reasons and don't see enough quality to look otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Heard a rumor about Horford probably coming back....and validity to that?

Not that I've heard.

He's 33, bad knees and looking for a 4 year deal....pass for me.

Rumors are he cut off negotiations with Boston on a 3yr deal because a team is offering a 4yr/$100 mil.

g-dawg likes this

Dedmon update.....unlikely to resign. The big boys are on him and for 3-4 years as well. Money isn't great but its a chance to win a title and start.

blkbigdog35 and g-dawg like this

53 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

So Cam Reddish and Jaxson Hayes here we come. 

I was really hoping we would luck out and see Hunter fall. 

Yeah, from reading @jayu70 sounds like Hawks are potentially 1 spot away from a player they probably are targeting in Reddish/Hunter and could get either but would have to exhaust too much draft capital in an overpay to do so.

From hearing Woj, Pels want a good vet player plus a high pick this year plus a top 5 lottery pick protected pick next year - if I was Schlenk, I would stop talking to Griffin.  Sounds like Garland is most likely pick at 4 in a trade anyway.

Cleveland at 5 seems to be a better match.  To get to 5, Hawks are gonna have to give 8/17 - Cavs aren’t gonna take 10/17.  Maybe if we give them 8/17 we could get 2nd back that could be re-packaged for late 1st.  I don’t see Kevin Love in deal unless a three team trade.

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, from reading @jayu70 sounds like Hawks are potentially 1 spot away from a player they probably are targeting in Reddish/Hunter and could get either but would have to exhaust too much draft capital in an overpay to do so.

From hearing Woj, Pels want a good vet player plus a high pick this year plus a top 5 lottery pick protected pick next year - if I was Schlenk, I would stop talking to Griffin.  Sounds like Garland is most likely pick at 4 in a trade anyway.

Cleveland at 5 seems to be a better match.  To get to 5, Hawks are gonna have to give 8/17 - Cavs aren’t gonna take 10/17.  Maybe if we give them 8/17 we could get 2nd back that could be re-packaged for late 1st.  I don’t see Kevin Love in deal unless a three team trade.

Seems as if TS is unwilling to trade 8.

We may still be in play with OKC's for  #21 to take on Roberson's expiring. 10, 17, 21 for 5 - seems excessive to me though.

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

We may still be in play with OKC's for  #21 to take on Roberson's expiring. 10, 17, 21 for 5 - seems excessive to me though.

Think this is the type of draft that it's going to take. We will definitely find out tonight though. Think we do keep all three picks though.

Edited by Zone#7

9 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Yeah that seems too much but the end result is all that matters.  Schlenk knows who he wants at #8 (probably Reddish) and is unwilling to give him up.   So Schlenk knows he has one player in hand and angling for #2.  

Maybe goal is #5(Hunter), #8(Reddish) and Trade 2nds to get back in to late 1st for Fernando.

2 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Think this is the type of draft that it's going to take. We will definitely find out tonight though. Think we do keep all three picks though.

I think so too.

Teams are looking for the Trae/Luka asset we got but not factoring the talens they were vs this class, they see we have 3 picks so I think they are asking us to overpay.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah that seems too much but the end result is all that matters.  Schlenk knows who he wants at #8 (probably Reddish) and is unwilling to give him up.   So Schlenk knows he has one player in hand and angling for #2.  

Maybe goal is #5(Hunter), #8(Reddish) and Trade 2nds to get back in to late 1st for Fernando.

We have 35 and 41, how far into the 1st can this get us? Where is Fernando slotted to be picked)...these are the teams ftom 24-30. I don't think we can move 10 spots to 25 with only 41. So from pick 27 and lower.

24. Philadelphia
25. Portland
26. Cleveland 
 (from Houston) 
27. Brooklyn  (from Denver) - if they sign 2 max players
28. Golden State - possible if they resign KD snd Klay, they'll be repeater tax payers 
29. San Antonio 
 (from Toronto) - maybe, but they have a knack for picking end of 1st round guys.
30. Milwaukee (now Detroit) - maybe depending on their cap situation.

I might be more on board with Keldon Johnson if the rumor spurs want to trade up for him then **** it all we pick him lol.

g-dawg likes this

9 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

We have 35 and 41, how far into the 1st can this get us? Where is Fernando slotted to be picked)...these are the teams ftom 24-30. I don't think we can move 10 spots to 25 with only 41. So from pick 27 and lower.

24. Philadelphia
25. Portland
26. Cleveland 
 (from Houston) 
27. Brooklyn  (from Denver) - if they sign 2 max players
28. Golden State - possible if they resign KD snd Klay, they'll be repeater tax payers 
29. San Antonio 
 (from Toronto) - maybe, but they have a knack for picking end of 1st round guys.
30. Milwaukee (now Detroit) - maybe depending on their cap situation.

Does Cleveland have a 2nd rounder in 30’s?  That is why if you traded 10/17/21 you would have to get something else back.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Does Cleveland have a 2nd rounder in 30’s?  That is why if you traded 10/17/21 you would have to get something else back.

Cavs doesn't have any 2nd rounders. They have pick #26.

Maybe they send us #5 and #26 for 10, 17, 21, and 35.:D

g-dawg and m2Falcons like this