WOR

General Draft Thread

1,235 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s looking like either Hunter or Reddish at 8 for the Hawks.  Then grab Hayes at 10th & Walker at 17th and MT in the 2nd round.  That’s how you build a solid mix of offense & defense

It’s definitely looking that way when you look at a lot of mocks.  At this point though man I trust in Schlenk to get this draft right as well!

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

Latest Gossip....

Seems like a trade up will be highly unlikely from #10. Only possible for #8 and Atlanta wants to keep #8 to get two of their guys but other teams seem to want to get one of their guys and an extra pick of value.

Expectations is this will be your top 9. 

Zion/Ja/R.J. no order Hunter/Culver/White/Garland/Cam/Nas

10-23 is not clear but the idea is some players are in it like Sekou, centers, etc. 

Pels only had one team meet their criteria for #4 trade and they don't like the team doing the offer future asset value, Indy. Just seems unlikely they make a trade. 

Teams want #8 from Atlanta, Atlanta wants #8 too. Expect trades to start at #10.  

Where is the Jimmy Johnson draft value trade chart?

On 6/18/2019 at 9:04 PM, g-dawg said:

Sounds like from your scuttle a good chance Cleveland/ATL can work a deal.

Cleveland - 5/JR Smith

Atlanta - 10/17 & a 2nd rounder

guess it would be contingent on Culver being at #5.

Hawks seem reluctant to give up #8.  Who do they have their eye on there? Reddish?

If Chicago is favorite for #4, who do they want there?  Garland?

I am content to stay put and take Hunter as many are saying he has a good chance of lasting to the 8th pick.  Culver & Hunter are very similar players

3 hours ago, jidady said:

It happens in literally every sport in literally every draft. Some scouts like another player better than the presumptive number one choice. Sometimes, that player is Jayson Tatum and sometimes it's Ryan Leaf.

But if my GM or lead scout told me that they believe Ja Morant is better than Zion, I'd ask for their resignation right then and there.

just like those general managers that passed on kawhi Leonard??

FalconsIn2020 likes this

4 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

It’s definitely looking that way when you look at a lot of mocks.  At this point though man I trust in Schlenk to get this draft right as well!

Schlenk, like Quinn when drafting defense, has earned the benefit of the doubt.  I’ll be stunned if we make 3 picks in the 1st unless one of them is mid 20’s

blkbigdog35 likes this

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

That would never work in the NBA.   If you have #1 pick when LeBron is in draft, it is worth 10+ first rounders.  Other years the #1 pick is not even worth the draft slot.

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

You're talking to the wrong guy on this one. I had SD State in my Final Four that year. When he fell to San Antonio, my second favorite team, I just laughed and laughed. They gave Indy George Hill and a second round pick for the #15. That's one of the all-time NBA heists.

slickgadawg likes this

Just now, slickgadawg said:

Morant likely puts up better numbers.  I dont think ZW’s game will translate to immediate NBA Superstar.  It’s a shooting league as the last 6 NBA Finals have shown.

slickgadawg likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That would never work in the NBA.   If you have #1 pick when LeBron is in draft, it is worth 10+ first rounders.  Other years the #1 pick is not even worth the draft slot.

Bill Belichick at 60 years old is worth the Falcons giving up 10 straight 1st round picks

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Morant likely puts up better numbers.  I dont think ZW’s game will translate to immediate NBA Superstar.  It’s a shooting league as the last 6 NBA Finals have shown.

What happened to the Giannis when they packed the lane on him in the playoffs and dared him to shoot the ball?   They gonna do the same to Zion.  He is gonna either have to develop a short jumper or they gonna neutralize him like Giannis.   Giannis looked like a joke in the playoffs.  During the season when half the teams don't care about defense, Zion will show up on ESPN.  In big games where they play defense its gonna be a different situation...

Edited by slickgadawg
FalconsIn2020 likes this

11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There is one, but it's total crap. Some years, the #7 pick is worth what the #2 pick is in other years.  In 2013, picking in the lottery wasn't even a positive for almost all of the teams. They paid more for garbage players. There were only two very good players in that entire first round.

http://nbasense.com/draft-pick-trade-value/2/kevin-pelton-2

FalconsIn2020 likes this

What happened to the Giannis when they packed the lane on him in the playoffs and dared him to shoot the ball?   They gonna do the same to Zion.  He is gonna either have to develop a short jumper or they gonna neutralize him like Giannis.   Giannis looked like a joke in the playoffs...

Not every team has the Klaw, but your point is valid.  In a series, it’s easier to scheme out a one dimensional scorer.

I see ZW similar to Blake Griffin.  Perennial All Star, top-15 player...but can be limited in a 7 game series.  

6 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Morant likely puts up better numbers.

It depends on which numbers you use. Zion's going to be a career 25 PER guy. There were only 9 guys in the league who did that this year. Mike Conley, the best Grizzly ever and a great shooter, had a lower PER than John Collins this past season.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Just spinning this over in my head, Atlanta could offer four certain first round draft picks in 2019 and 2020 plus a chance at another one from Cleveland for Zion, and they'd get laughed off the phone.

g-dawg likes this

9 minutes ago, jidady said:

You're talking to the wrong guy on this one. I had SD State in my Final Four that year. When he fell to San Antonio, my second favorite team, I just laughed and laughed. They gave Indy George Hill and a second round pick for the #15. That's one of the all-time NBA heists.

Thats YOUR accessment of Leonard. There were about 14 general managers that passed on him that year. You know the draft isn't a exact science.  Good general managers miss on some and hit on some.  

Thats YOUR accessment of Leonard. There were about 14 general managers that passed on him that year. You know the draft isn't a exact science.  Good general managers miss on some and hit on some.  

1) and it was a **** good one.

2) They do, which means that on those rare occasions that there's near unanimity as there is this year, the player's clearly special. The last player who lapped the field by this much in the draft was Anthony Davis. Before that, it was Dwight Howard. So, the gap is only this big every 6-8 years.

slickgadawg likes this

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

Just spinning this over in my head, Atlanta could offer four certain first round draft picks in 2019 and 2020 plus a chance at another one from Cleveland for Zion, and they'd get laughed off the phone.

That’s right.  LeBron in his prime plus 4 white Jewish kids would be a more desirable team than a bunch of picks between 4-20.

Its not looking good in my opinion about the Hawks moving up.  A deal would have been done by now.  It could still happen but Atlanta isn't gonna give up every first round pick they got just to move up to 4 or 5.  I like the Cleveland trade scenario but again,  teams are trying to get too much from the Hawks...

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, jidady said:

Maybe thats why thats a scrub franchise.  They were LOADED with talent a couple years ago and couldn't make nothing with it.  They got that loot from the Lakers and gonna mess it up.  Lets say the Hawks had the number 1 pick and had Zion.  In my opinion, they would let Zion walk for that kind of Loot because of the type of player Zion is and how the team is being built... 

( depending on where those picks are in the first round):lol:

Edited by slickgadawg

10 minutes ago, jidady said:

It depends on which numbers you use. Zion's going to be a career 25 PER guy. There were only 9 guys in the league who did that this year. Mike Conley, the best Grizzly ever and a great shooter, had a lower PER than John Collins this past season.

I don’t see him as a 25 ppg player unless he develops a jump shot on the level of Anthony Davis.  Or the Pelicans coukd build an offense around him, which would be a mistake IMO.  

I see ZW at 20-22 ppg and 10-12 rebounds over his rookie contract.  And that’s dang good.  But unreasonable expectations have been placed on the young man. Without a consistent shoot from 25 feet away, he won’t be an elite scorer.

I think Trae, the player he is now,  would easily go #1 in this draft.  

28 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Schlenk, like Quinn when drafting defense, has earned the benefit of the doubt.  I’ll be stunned if we make 3 picks in the 1st unless one of them is mid 20’s

I think we actually keep the 3 1st but I would be surprised if we kept the remaining seconds.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

8 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Its not looking good in my opinion about the Hawks moving up.  A deal would have been done by now.  It could still happen but Atlanta isn't gonna give up every first round pick they got just to move up to 4 or 5.  I like the Cleveland trade scenario but again,  teams are trying to get too much from the Hawks...

It can still happen but I would prefer to stay put.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

19 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Or they could be waiting till draft night and see how the board shakes up before the Cleveland pick .

19 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I don’t see him as a 25 ppg player unless he develops a jump shot on the level of Anthony Davis.  Or the Pelicans coukd build an offense around him, which would be a mistake IMO.  

I see ZW at 20-22 ppg and 10-12 rebounds over his rookie contract.  And that’s dang good.  But unreasonable expectations have been placed on the young man. Without a consistent shoot from 25 feet away, he won’t be an elite scorer.

I think Trae, the player he is now,  would easily go #1 in this draft.  

To be clear, I said PER, not PPG. I'm talking about the Hollinger stat that calculates overall player contribution.

FalconsIn2020 likes this