WOR

General Draft Thread

1,235 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s pretty sad that a Ron Artest-eaque defender is valued so little in the NBA.  The best on the ball and help defender by a mile and he isn’t considered a top 15 prospect.

Defense is half the freaking game.  I’d take him at 20 if we could move up..  Don’t really care if he can score.   He could minimize some of Trae’s shortcomings on D

Today’s NBA is definitely all about scoring 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

9 hours ago, Tomahawk Choppa said:

Anyone heard of Tacko Fall? Just saw an article on him and dude is huge. 

Draft prospect Tacko Fall is the headliner this year. The 23-year-old center from UCF posted the highest marks ever for wingspan (8 feet, 2.25 inches), standing reach (10 feet, 2.5 inches) and height with shoes (7 feet, 7 inches). Prior to Fall, the previous mark for longest wingspan was held by Orlando Magic center Mo Bamba, who was measured at 7-foot-10 in 2018 and was selected No. 6 overall in the 2018 Draft.

He'll most likely go undrafted.

His best skill is his height.

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s pretty sad that a Ron Artest-eaque defender is valued so little in the NBA.  The best on the ball and help defender by a mile and he isn’t considered a top 15 prospect.

Defense is half the freaking game.  I’d take him at 20 if we could move up..  Don’t really care if he can score.   He could minimize some of Trae’s shortcomings on D

I like defense too, but if his offense is Bembry-esque, that's why his value is low.

21 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I like defense too, but if his offense is Bembry-esque, that's why his value is low.

He shoots 50% from the field and around 38% from 3 (going off memory).  He won’t snipe from NBA 3 point range, but he makes us a better overall team

If not, let’s just draft the two best shooters from 3 to give Tray quality outlets when his speed & handle breaks down a defense.  

Still think outside of Zion, Culver was our guy.  He could be in play at 5 and we could move to get him

11 hours ago, Tomahawk Choppa said:

Anyone heard of Tacko Fall? Just saw an article on him and dude is huge. 

Draft prospect Tacko Fall is the headliner this year. The 23-year-old center from UCF posted the highest marks ever for wingspan (8 feet, 2.25 inches), standing reach (10 feet, 2.5 inches) and height with shoes (7 feet, 7 inches). Prior to Fall, the previous mark for longest wingspan was held by Orlando Magic center Mo Bamba, who was measured at 7-foot-10 in 2018 and was selected No. 6 overall in the 2018 Draft.

Well someone certainly didn't watch march madness lol

4 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Had no idea on his FT percentage, but ****. If he is there at 1 of our 2nds, then honestly why not. Maybe we can get someone to work with him to improve his skill.

There's a reason the NBA doesn't just get 50 random 7 foot 5+ guys from around the globe to play center lol. 

Fall will get massacred in the NBA. See Boban Marjonovic. Except worse lol. 

2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

His offense isn't even bad. Which is what I don't get. 

He just doesn't shoot 3s. That's literally it. And it's not like he just "can't" shoot, ever. Romeo Langford is a brick machine and he's still seen as a lottery worthy offensive guy. Clarke went from a shot put/Lonzo shot where he was turrible to a normal stroke with good results within a year. You could probably work that into a 35% 3pt shooter 

He's uber elite around the rim. He shoots 70% FT. He's not some black hole offensively. 

If it wasn't for Zion, Brandon Clarke would have put up a top 5 statistical season over the past few decades. I believe he was better than AD at Kentucky. I'll try to find the tweet. 

Ain't nobody talks about Draymond Green being a craptastic jump shooter. 

But if you give me Draymond minus the elite facilitation skills, Ima take it. 

Beef likes this

Honestly thinking about it Clarke's offensive game reminds me of rookie John collins/Wake Forest Collins. They even both him whittle arms lol

Lot of high effort/insane motor baskets. Put backs. Dumpoffs. Post offense. Mid range jumpers. Good FT% for a big man. People forget John couldn't shoot 3s when he was drafted. 

Also. We shouldn't focus on the dumb NBATV SF graphic. Most of those old school guys just see 6'8"? SF. He can play all 3 front court spots. 

Give me some combo front court of Little/Cam, Clarke, John, Omari, Dedmon, and Len. You could do SO much with that. There's a combination in there for every match up. 

Not to mention you can throw Clarke on Kawhi, Giannis, Lebron, KD, etc etc. That's just icing. 

I don't know.  I'm just not a big fan of Little and I absolutely can't stand the thought of Reddish.  I watch Reddish and he just exudes lack of floor awareness.  He's just not an intelligent basketball player.  He is late reaction to everything.  He has no idea where anyone is, so he doesn't ever pass the ball.  He either chucks up bad shots or tries to drive the lane with zero thought about dishing it to an open player if he's crowded and banging around trying to get to the rim.

If we end up picking Reddish, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

If we want Clarke, we may have to take him at #8.  I don't know what Washington will do at 9, but they may grab him if he's there, so I wouldn't take the chance.

Personally, I still like Coby White.  A combo-guard who can play the point or 2, who can score and facilitate... I just really like the thought of any combination of 2 of Trae, Huerter, and White being in there at any given time.

Coby will still be there at pick 10.  I say package pick 8 with our 2nd round picks and see if we can move up to 6 or even 5 to try and get Hunter.  If Cleveland or Phoenix are willing to do something.

Do we know if either of those teams is looking for more assets?

1 hour ago, WOR said:

Little/Reddish, Clark, Thybulle, Claxton. 

Send it. 

NO

Claxton needs to take his *** back to school for another year!

(I'm a UGA fan)

36 minutes ago, Beef said:

I don't know.  I'm just not a big fan of Little and I absolutely can't stand the thought of Reddish.  I watch Reddish and he just exudes lack of floor awareness.  He's just not an intelligent basketball player.  He is late reaction to everything.  He has no idea where anyone is, so he doesn't ever pass the ball.  He either chucks up bad shots or tries to drive the lane with zero thought about dishing it to an open player if he's crowded and banging around trying to get to the rim.

If we end up picking Reddish, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

If we want Clarke, we may have to take him at #8.  I don't know what Washington will do at 9, but they may grab him if he's there, so I wouldn't take the chance.

Personally, I still like Coby White.  A combo-guard who can play the point or 2, who can score and facilitate... I just really like the thought of any combination of 2 of Trae, Huerter, and White being in there at any given time.

Coby will still be there at pick 10.  I say package pick 8 with our 2nd round picks and see if we can move up to 6 or even 5 to try and get Hunter.  If Cleveland or Phoenix are willing to do something.

Do we know if either of those teams is looking for more assets?

1. Coby "most definitely" won't be there at 10. He's the second PG in this draft. Every team ahead of us, save the cavs, really need a PG. Every mock I've seen has him going no later than 7 to the bulls. Unfortunately, it seems like that ship has sailed. At this point, even if he was available I'd be auctioning him off to the highest bidder if it was me. Coby plus a bunch for Wendell Carter Jr? :wiggle:

2. Cam is a lot easier to swallow if you just think of him as an elite 3 and D player. His defense isn't a problem. In fact, it's quite great. He's 6'9", long as ****, decent feet, and can guard positions 1-4. That alone is immensely valuable. I agree his offense is poop. BUT I will give him a slight break for being at Duke. As a Duke fan it pains me to say this, but since they went the one and done route their schemes have been absolute dog ****. It's almost like they're being *told* to play street ball garbage. Sure. Prime Thabo Sefolosha isn't the greatest lotto pick in the world, but in this draft you could do much worse I guess. Nonetheless most of the talk has him going ahead of us anyway. 

3. I think you might be right with Clarke at 8. Which I'm perfectly fine with. Take him at 8 and figure out the rest of it. You've still got 4 picks with Little, Thybulle, and Grant Williams around where you'll be picking. 

4. Added bonus lol. I think I might be higher on Reddish than I am on Barret. Dude seems like a cross between Melo and Wiggins. Baaaarrrrfffff. At least Cam isn't a selfish player and can be uber elite defensively. 

27 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

NO

Claxton needs to take his *** back to school for another year!

(I'm a UGA fan)

Lol so am I. But the talent and skills are definitely there. He's certainly a project and a few years away. Unfortunately for UGA, no matter where he's drafted I think he will get a 4 year garaunteed deal, almost guaranteeing he sticks in the draft. Would love to see him with Ant Man though. 

But he just feeeeels like a Schlenk pick lol. We still haven't drafted a center under Schlenk. "Pass, dribble, shoot" and all that which is Claxton to a T. Plus Schlenk worked at UGA for a stint so he might have even more of an insider look. 

18 minutes ago, WOR said:

Lol so am I. But the talent and skills are definitely there. He's certainly a project and a few years away. Unfortunately for UGA, no matter where he's drafted I think he will get a 4 year garaunteed deal, almost guaranteeing he sticks in the draft. Would love to see him with Ant Man though. 

But he just feeeeels like a Schlenk pick lol. We still haven't drafted a center under Schlenk. "Pass, dribble, shoot" and all that which is Claxton to a T. Plus Schlenk worked at UGA for a stint so he might have even more of an insider look

Wow! I had no idea..

He needs to come back though.. another year to EAT at least.. LOL

9 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Wow! I had no idea..

He needs to come back though.. another year to EAT at least.. LOL

He was the director of basketball ops at uga for all of one year lol

TheTrue7 likes this

3 hours ago, WOR said:

Well someone certainly didn't watch march madness lol

I didn't lol. I haven't watched college basketball in a few years. That's why I really don't know much about these guys coming out. Which leads me to ask: How would you compare this year's class to last years? Better or worse?

1 hour ago, WOR said:

@jayu70

Ah here's the stat I was looking for. 

The caveat with this stat is that the people who created it acknowledge its flaws. It favors upperclassmen and older players too much. And that's Clarke.

@WORThis kid's game sort of reminds me of Draymond Green's game.  What do you think?

Grant Williams NBA Draft Scouting Report

Position

Height

Weight

From

PF  6-7 236  Tennessee

Born

Wingspan

Standing Reach

Vertical

11/30/98 6-10 1/2 NA  NA
Williams is a powerful post player who also has a lot of finesse in his game. He's an excellent passer and play-maker who plays smart, tough basketball.
Draymond, P.J. Tucker

Projection: mid to late first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft

Ten players who might be available to Hawks with two first-round draft picks

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/ten-players-who-might-available-hawks-with-two-first-round-draft-picks/Q4x8rd0o8OY7DUWKKzsDiI/

Jarrett Culver, Texas Tech

The shooting guard may not be available with the Hawks first pick but if he falls, Culver would seem a fit as a two-way player. He could go as high as No. 4 or 5 according to some but stranger things have happened in the draft.

Coby White, North Carolina

Yes, the Hawks have their point guard. However, Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk said earlier this month he would consider another point guard because the position is so valuable in the NBA. Depth at the position would not be a bad thing for the Hawks either.

Cam Reddish, Duke

The small forward has been projected to the Hawks by many. He would give the team another of the long, athletic wing player who can shoot mid-range and handle the ball. An improvement in his 3-point shot would be a priority.

Jaxson Hayes, Texas

The Hawks have a need at center with only Alex Len signed next season. He has length to be a defensive presence inside as a rim protector. He has the ability to play in the pick-and-roll game with his athleticism.

Nassir Little, North Carolina

The small forward projects as another athletic wing who can get to the rim, finish and play defense. He might be a bit of a reach at No. 8 or 10, but there is significant potential that could fit the Hawks.

Romeo Langford, Indiana

The shooting guard does not project quite as high as the Hawks’ picks. He is talented, quick and athletic. He is a slasher who will need to develop a consist jump shot but he has the ability to dribble and pass.

Sekou Doumbouya, France

The small forward is intriguing and could be worth a gamble at No. 10. He is athletic with defensive skills and could translate into a two-way forward. He has ball skills in transition. 

Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga

The Hawks already have a small-ball power forward, but he is steady and can score around the rim. He may be a reach to go as high to the Hawks. However, he could be one of the trade down and get another asset possibilities.

Bol Bol, Oregon

He is another possibility with a need at center. He has the size to be an inside presence and can make an outside shot. There are injury concerns. He can get to the rim on his own or in the pick-and-roll game.

Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga

The power forward has experience after three years in college (one at Gonzaga) and is a good defender and can rebound. He would be an energy player known to play bigger than his size.