WOR

General Draft Thread

1,235 posts in this topic

Figured we could use one catch all. 

I'm planning on digging deep into some prospects over the next few days/week and I might add some prospect specific threads here and there. 

But other than that, a catch all thread would be nice 

15 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

So they are listing him as a 3?  That’s interesting but I don’t see him that way.

The next time NBATV knows anything about a prospect will be the first time lol

Drew4719, blkbigdog35 and jayu70 like this

I'd like to see if we can package our 2nd round picks up and get high enough in the first to grab Matisse Thybulle.  Dude is a defensive dynamo.

Would be an interesting defensive-based draft to end up with something like Clarke, Hayes, and Thybulle.  Pretty much the 3 best defensive players in the entire draft.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

8 minutes ago, WOR said:

The next time NBATV knows anything about a prospect will be the first time lol

:lol:ikr

21 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

So they are listing him as a 3?  That’s interesting but I don’t see him that way.

My issue with Clarke is that I don't know where he'd fit with us.  I simply do not want Collins playing the 5.  He's killin it at the 4 offensively, and he's not a good enough defender to be a 5.  So that would mean our 1st round top pick is coming off the bench to behind Collins?  I'm just not sure Schlenk wants that for either of these picks.

Clarke is a really good defender, which is odd for someone with his below average length, but he's not a good perimeter or 3pt shooter.  Although maybe he could develop that, which would make him a very valuable 3 at his size and slashing capabilities.

I don't know.  I really think Schlenk wants either a combo guard (like Coby White), and/or a true shooting 3, and/or a true defensive 5 with a perimeter shot in his arsenal.

blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

Goga Bitadze NBA Draft Scouting Report

Position

Height

Weight

From

PF C  6-11  250  Georgia

Born

Wingspan

Standing Reach

Vertical

7/20/99 7-2 NA  NA

Goga is a fierce competitor who's a force to be reckoned with in the paint. He's aggressive on the boards and not afraid to throw his body around. He's got a strong base, good overall strength and seems to really know the game at a high level.

He's in the mold of a Steven Adams in the way he impacts the game without needing the ball in his hands, but unlike Adams, Goga shows some crafty handles and a nice looking outside shot.

Comparison

• Steven Adams with handles
  • Willy Hernangomez

Projection: late lottery to mid first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft

Brandon Clarke NBA Draft Scouting Report

Position

Height

Weight

From

PF C  6-8  215  Gonzaga
(Canada)

Born

Wingspan

Standing Reach

Vertical

9/19/96 NA NA  NA

Clarke transferred to Gonzaga after two years at San Jose State and he picked up right where he left off: rebounding, dunking the ball and blocking shots. Clarke is a unique athlete who can jump as well as any big man and has great timing as well. He plays with a lot of power and can hold is own in the paint dispite not having great height.

He's not going to give you 20pts a night but he does what he does well. In this era of small-ball line ups Clarke is a prototypical small-ball 5.

Comparisons
  • Kenyon Martin
  • A rich man's Jordan Bell 
  • Larry Nance Jr.
Projection: mid first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft

Everyone I've listened to HATES the Jordan bell comparison. 

Bell is a Moron. Clarke is one of the smartest prospects in years. 

DeAndre Hunter NBA Draft Scouting Report

Position

Height

Weight

From

SF  6-7  222  Virginia

Born

Wingspan

Standing Reach

Vertical

12/1/97 7-0 NA  NA

Overview
Hunter.pngHunter is a high level defender with an NBA frame and upside on the offensive end. He excels at
slashing to the basket and can also hit the three point shot. He's old for his class but he still has a lot of upside to develop in to. His versatility, defense, team-first play and ability to hit the corner three could make him a lottery pick in June.

Strengths
  • Plays a complete game, impacts both ends of the floor and gives great effort
  • A versatile defender with great size on the perimeter and enough size/strength to hold his own in the post
  • Slashing ability and off the ball movement
  • Can score through contact
  • Can score in the post and from mid range
  • An efficient shooter with 3 point range and a shot that projects well to the next level
  • Rebounds at a high level and has good instincts and a nose for the ball
  • Plays above the rim
  • Has the overall versatility that is highly valued in today's NBA
Weaknesses
  • Not the most creative offensive player - straight-line driver, catch and shoot player
  • Will have to improve his ball handling at the next level
  • Doesn't have the quickest release on his shot
Comparisons
  • if Rondae Hollis-Jefferson had a sweet three point shot
  • Mikal Bridges with better strength
Projection: top 10 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft

48 minutes ago, Beef said:

I'd like to see if we can package our 2nd round picks up and get high enough in the first to grab Matisse Thybulle.  Dude is a defensive dynamo.

Would be an interesting defensive-based draft to end up with something like Clarke, Hayes, and Thybulle.  Pretty much the 3 best defensive players in the entire draft.

Trade idea to get another pick to take Thybulle:

Trade with Jazz - they are interested in getting Conley from the Grizzlies but they need to clear salary.

Favors ($16.7 mil/1yr) and Pick #23 to Atlanta for pick #44.

Hawks get an early 20s pick - #23.

Where is Thybulle slated to be picked?

Beef likes this

Matisse Thybulle NBA Draft Scouting Report

Position

Height

Weight

From

SG SF  6-6  195  Washington

Born

Wingspan

Standing Reach

Vertical

3/4/97 7-0 NA  NA

Thybulle is the best defensive player in the draft and it's not even close. He's a lock-down defender who changes the game on that end of the floor. His on the ball defense is world-class and his help defense is truly special. He could get a look in the first round despite not having a polished offensive game.

Comparisons
  • a shorter Andre Roberson
  • Raja Bell
Projection: mid first to early second round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft

I think Little is an interesting upside prospect who simply was in a bad spot at NC

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
Elite physical profile for a modern combo forward. Explosive leaper off two feet. Long strides to the rim.
Hard-nosed defender who can check up to four positions, allowing him to play some small-ball 4. Plays with energy. Will affect the game on the offensive and defensive glass. Late-rising prospect known for his toughness and intangibles. 
Improved perimeter shooter with great elevation on his jumper. Shot 38 percent from 3 in 60 games, according to Krossover data. Good footwork creating space with step-backs. Physical straight-line driver.

Improvement areas
Limited feel for the game. Not an instinctive decision-maker. 
Handle still developing. Better offensively as a small-ball power forward than a wing. Finesse around the rim still improving. Wants to load off two feet. Does he have enough offensive skill to warrant a No. 1 selection? 
Still a streaky shooter, especially when contested.

2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Trade with Jazz - they are interested in getting Conley from the Grizzlies but they need to clear salary.

Would the Jazz really throw away Favors though? 

I get they need the money, but he's not a negative player/contract like say, Jeremy Lin was. 

Feel like you could dump him for just a cheap pick and not have to ship off #23. 

2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Back end of the first

27 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I think Little is an interesting upside prospect who simply was in a bad spot at NC

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
Elite physical profile for a modern combo forward. Explosive leaper off two feet. Long strides to the rim.
Hard-nosed defender who can check up to four positions, allowing him to play some small-ball 4. Plays with energy. Will affect the game on the offensive and defensive glass. Late-rising prospect known for his toughness and intangibles. 
Improved perimeter shooter with great elevation on his jumper. Shot 38 percent from 3 in 60 games, according to Krossover data. Good footwork creating space with step-backs. Physical straight-line driver.

Improvement areas
Limited feel for the game. Not an instinctive decision-maker. 
Handle still developing. Better offensively as a small-ball power forward than a wing. Finesse around the rim still improving. Wants to load off two feet. Does he have enough offensive skill to warrant a No. 1 selection? 
Still a streaky shooter, especially when contested.

Cough Jaylen Brown cough 

Amir Hinton (DII) is being compared to D.Wade. Looks like someone I would trade up to the low to mid 20's to grab. Natural scorer.

15 minutes ago, WOR said:

Cough Jaylen Brown cough 

Little could be a steal in the mid to late teens.  Lloyd would give him the development he needs to help him flourish.

54 minutes ago, bigjmw84 said:

Little could be a steal in the mid to late teens.  Lloyd would give him the development he needs to help him flourish.

Some mocks have him to us at 8.  I’d take him at 10 though.

McDonalds MVP & Jordan Invitational MVP.  Here is him vs Zion....love his two way potential.  Needs to add some weight

Anyone heard of Tacko Fall? Just saw an article on him and dude is huge. 

Draft prospect Tacko Fall is the headliner this year. The 23-year-old center from UCF posted the highest marks ever for wingspan (8 feet, 2.25 inches), standing reach (10 feet, 2.5 inches) and height with shoes (7 feet, 7 inches). Prior to Fall, the previous mark for longest wingspan was held by Orlando Magic center Mo Bamba, who was measured at 7-foot-10 in 2018 and was selected No. 6 overall in the 2018 Draft.

4 hours ago, Tomahawk Choppa said:

Anyone heard of Tacko Fall? Just saw an article on him and dude is huge. 

Draft prospect Tacko Fall is the headliner this year. The 23-year-old center from UCF posted the highest marks ever for wingspan (8 feet, 2.25 inches), standing reach (10 feet, 2.5 inches) and height with shoes (7 feet, 7 inches). Prior to Fall, the previous mark for longest wingspan was held by Orlando Magic center Mo Bamba, who was measured at 7-foot-10 in 2018 and was selected No. 6 overall in the 2018 Draft.

I've heard of him and NOOOOO!

He is big, but he has so little skill. He gets by solely by his size. Maybe in the 2nd, but not in the first. 

22 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I've heard of him and NOOOOO!

He is big, but he has so little skill. He gets by solely by his size. Maybe in the 2nd, but not in the first. 

Oh, I know he's not a 1st rounder by any means. I thought maybe with one of our seconds. His FT percentage is horrible though. It's gone down every year he's been in college. 

15 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Matisse Thybulle NBA Draft Scouting Report

Position

Height

Weight

From

SG SF  6-6  195  Washington

Born

Wingspan

Standing Reach

Vertical

3/4/97 7-0 NA  NA

Thybulle is the best defensive player in the draft and it's not even close. He's a lock-down defender who changes the game on that end of the floor. His on the ball defense is world-class and his help defense is truly special. He could get a look in the first round despite not having a polished offensive game.

Comparisons
  • a shorter Andre Roberson
  • Raja Bell
Projection: mid first to early second round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft

It’s pretty sad that a Ron Artest-eaque defender is valued so little in the NBA.  The best on the ball and help defender by a mile and he isn’t considered a top 15 prospect.

Defense is half the freaking game.  I’d take him at 20 if we could move up..  Don’t really care if he can score.   He could minimize some of Trae’s shortcomings on D

tactician and blkbigdog35 like this

1 hour ago, Tomahawk Choppa said:

Oh, I know he's not a 1st rounder by any means. I thought maybe with one of our seconds. His FT percentage is horrible though. It's gone down every year he's been in college. 

Had no idea on his FT percentage, but ****. If he is there at 1 of our 2nds, then honestly why not. Maybe we can get someone to work with him to improve his skill.