Cole World

GM Scott Pioli stepping down

97 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

OTOH, he could become a mutual partner in AFC kind’ve like what we got with Les Snead going to the Rams but better. Depends on where Pioli goes but I don’t sense any bad blood at all.

Falcons are much better equipped to let him walk than when he first came on board.

The FO has a whole offseason to get what’s needed for the results desired next draft.

don't disagree - Pioli and Dimitroff have had a very chummy relationship as they were together in the beginning with Cleveland Browns, then Patriots and then Falcons - both were each other's bosses at different stints.

I'm sure if we need to trade w/ Jets going foward there will be open lines of communication just like with Dimitroff/Snead who have now made two trades with each other.   Snead's done a heckuva job with the Rams as well.   Great coaching hire as well with McVay.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

I do think that one of TD's major mistakes was not doing a good job of replacing his ***'t GMs when they left for GM jobs. late in the Smith regime.  Pioli was a great hire, hope TD has learned his lesson and finds a good replacement.

Have a good birth day. I will make a thread.

falconidae likes this

I’ve dreaded the day this would happen even though we all knew it was coming sooner or later. Our drafts got better once SP joined the FO. I hope TD can stay the course but I’m very afraid. TD has been ok in a lot of ways but IMHO SP made him look good. We shall see.....

26 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Ppl say he taught TD a lot but where the **** is our D-line?

2017 D Line was pretty **** good

Starters:  Vic-Poe-Jarrett-Takk 

Reserves: Crawford, Clayborn, Reed, Shelby, Upshaw

HouseofEuphoria likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Guess he really is getting a GM job

This must have been the Falcons story ESPN glossed over yesterday

Jets I assume?

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

2017 D Line was pretty **** good

Starters:  Vic-Poe-Jarrett-Takk 

Reserves: Crawford, Clayborn, Reed, Shelby, Upshaw

I just meant ppl act like Pioli “fixed” TD yet they still complain ab our dline and defense as a whole, really. I like Dimitroff and always have. We’ll be just fine without Pioli. Ppl just want to have their cake and eat it too. Lol I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted earlier comment. I’ll just take the L on this one lol 

Edited by MoFalconsFan56
Vandy and FalconsIn2012 like this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Be interesting to see how he and Gase mesh...

One things for certain, Gase’s eyes will be wide open.  This is still one of the funniest things ever.  You can’t tell me he isn’t high in this

Cole World, falconsd56 and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Yep. I think they let him be a bit more heavy handed this year. This definitely looks more like his type of draft. 

He literally turned the Falcons around from getting little to nothing from their drafts, to (4-5) starters from almost every draft, since his arrival before the 2014 draft.

Only time will tell how this turns-out for the Falcons. Unless the FO learned from him, it will not turn-out like Falcons Fans want.

Nobody knows how much of a role he actually played while in ATL everyone just has an idea in their head that if we had a good draft pick he’s pioli’s choice and if he sucks hes TD’s pick. Lol. I think Dimitroff’s drafts have more to do with what the HC wants more than what HIS assistant wants lol

vel likes this

14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

One things for certain, Gase’s eyes will be wide open.  This is still one of the funniest things ever.  You can’t tell me he isn’t high in this

He looks like V Putin’s crazed son in that video. 

2 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

He literally turned the Falcons around from getting little to nothing from their drafts, to (4-5) starters from almost every draft, since his arrival before the 2014 draft.

Only time will tell how this turns-out for the Falcons. Unless the FO learned from him, it will not turn-out like Falcons Fans want.

I disagree. I think a large part of it is the clear vision DQ has for players that fit what he wants to do. Neal, Debo, Campbell, that draft is DQ through and through. The guy can find talent, particularly defensive players, throughout the draft. I'm not worried. I'm just glad we got the one position group squared away that I don't think they are equipped to weather without Pioli. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

I disagree. I think a large part of it is the clear vision DQ has for players that fit what he wants to do. Neal, Debo, Campbell, that draft is DQ through and through. The guy can find talent, particularly defensive players, throughout the draft. I'm not worried. I'm just glad we got the one position group squared away that I don't think they are equipped to weather without Pioli. 

Exactly, notice how his style changed when the HC changed? Ppl will always glorify Pioli while TD plays the villain. For all we know Pioli was just here to play racquetball with Dimitroff. 

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Nah. It's been reported since yesterday they're hiring a guy from Philly.

The timing of Jets firing their GM and Pioli stepping down 24 hours later hints he is going there.  Guess we will know soon enough

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The timing of Jets firing their GM and Pioli stepping down 24 hours later hints he is going there.  Guess we will know soon enough

there has been absolutely no news of Pioli being linked there but this dude has been linked since the job came open.

Cole World and FalconsIn2012 like this

2 hours ago, vel said:

So you think the turn-a-round came in 2015, with the arrival of Quinn? 

I think it is one thing having a vision of the player fitting your scheme, and another finding that player with the talent to play in the NFL. That is where the scouting department earns its stripes, with the harder of the two distinctions. I say the Falcons Draft turned around in 2014, before Quinn arrived.

Let's hope Pioli will not be missed as much as I suspect he will be. But, it will take a couple of years to find out thank goodness.

arrogantBEAST likes this

Wait a minute. Is this really a big loss? This guy was supposed to be making our OL and DL scouting better from what I remember. Hasn't done either. Is he really stepping down or is not doing his job? DL sucks OL has been horrible. Last time the OL was good, Shanny was in town and we went to the Bowl. 

Good luck to him, wish him well. Thank you for your contributions to my favorite team.