Cole World

GM Scott Pioli stepping down

97 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, red falcon said:

There is still a lot of knowledge front office wise. As others have said TD struggles with offensive line. We loaded up this year perfect timing  

Link?

From the outside looking in TD was the one who has influence over TD who will come out squeaky clean again. TD is slick as oil. That is not a bad thing nor am criticizing TD. I'm just saying with AB treating TD as a son the ball stays in his control. We've seen them come and go. TD can get it done. Thanks Scott for a job well dine

g-dawg likes this

21 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

I like what Ryan alluded too back when Shanny was here, there was an aggressiveness a calling of plays regardless of down and distance. That can be replicated but coaches can be stubborn azzes sometimes.

Shanny is among the few innovators in NFL coaching ranks. Like any other job, some people are good at what they do, some are just slightly above mediocrity and others just plain out suck. Fortunately I think Koetter has plenty of tactical ability and we should be fine, but Shanahan will remain a favorite of mine despite the nightmare ending.

Edit: And to the subject at hand, clearly Pioli worked great with TD and Q. He's definitely going to be missed.

Big loss to the Falcons. Good luck to him if he takes over the Jets. That franchise has been a joke for it's entire existence.

Saw this posted by McClure on ESPN

Scott Pioli's full quote on stepping down from Falcons: "After careful consideration and ongoing dialogue with Thomas over the past year I have decided to step away from my position as the Assistant General Manager of the Atlanta Falcons to pursue other potential opportunities. I want to thank both Arthur and Thomas for bringing my family and I here in 2014. When I accepted this position more than five years ago, we all believed this would likely be a two or three-year working relationship. I came in to work closely with Thomas on personnel structure, processes and decisions. I loved the concept, was confident I could provide value and have enjoyed the challenge. Now, after more than five years with the Falcons, I am ready for a change. I want to thank all of my co-workers at Flowery Branch as it has truly been an honor to be a part of this organization and I am thankful to have been a part of this football team and the Falcons family."

Just now, Flyin' In DC said:

Saw this posted by McClure on ESPN

Scott Pioli's full quote on stepping down from Falcons: "After careful consideration and ongoing dialogue with Thomas over the past year I have decided to step away from my position as the Assistant General Manager of the Atlanta Falcons to pursue other potential opportunities. I want to thank both Arthur and Thomas for bringing my family and I here in 2014. When I accepted this position more than five years ago, we all believed this would likely be a two or three-year working relationship. I came in to work closely with Thomas on personnel structure, processes and decisions. I loved the concept, was confident I could provide value and have enjoyed the challenge. Now, after more than five years with the Falcons, I am ready for a change. I want to thank all of my co-workers at Flowery Branch as it has truly been an honor to be a part of this organization and I am thankful to have been a part of this football team and the Falcons family."

All of a sudden? Hmmmm....... Out of the blue.

25 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Probably?  I’d sacrifice my little toe if Shanny stayed as OC until Ryan retires

I second that. I will sacrifice your little toe for Shanny to come back.

JDaveG, dardan and FalconsIn2012 like this

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

I like what Ryan alluded too back when Shanny was here, there was an aggressiveness a calling of plays regardless of down and distance. That can be replicated but coaches can be stubborn azzes sometimes.

Calling a game is an art. You can have all the proper intentions in the world but if you don't have that instinct and feel for the game that only the very few exceptional OCs possess, you're not gonna get the same results. Sark came in trying to run the same offense Shanny had and it was a complete dud. He decided to try his own thing instead of copying Shanny in his second season and it was a big improvement but still nothing comparable. Truth is he just didn't have the top-notch talent to get it done the way the great ones do. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

I just hope when Pioli gets the next GM gig (Jets or other) that he doesn't take a bunch of scouts/lieutenants with him.   Dimitroff (like any GM) is better at his job when he has better people under him.   Don't want to go back to 2009 - 2012 when our drafting was gawd-awful.

The other thing that sucks is Pioli, being in charge of college scouting, already has the Falcons scouting board that he will take with him 350 days out so we may be fighting Pioli for some of the same players next year - maybe.

The teams drafting got much better when he got here. I remember I used to tune out of the draft after the first two rounds because the Falcons rarely made solid picks beyond that point. Ever since the team drafted Freeman and Allen, that wasn’t the case anymore. Fingers crossed the solid drafting doesn’t fall off a cliff. 

Flying Falcon likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I just hope when Pioli gets the next GM gig (Jets or other) that he doesn't take a bunch of scouts/lieutenants with him.   Dimitroff (like any GM) is better at his job when he has better people under him.   Don't want to go back to 2009 - 2012 when our drafting was gawd-awful.

The other thing that sucks is Pioli, being in charge of college scouting, already has the Falcons scouting board that he will take with him 350 days out so we may be fighting Pioli for some of the same players next year - maybe.

2 minutes ago, ZoneOne01 said:

The teams drafting got much better when he got here. I remember I used to tune out of the draft after the first two rounds because the Falcons rarely made solid picks beyond that point. Ever since the team drafted Freeman and Allen, that wasn’t the case anymore. Fingers crossed the solid drafting doesn’t fall off a cliff. 

TD back at the wheel.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

While TD has had a number of whiffs during that time, I think the HC should also share at least half the blame. I personally don't think it will go back to being that bad becasue we have DQ instead of Smitty now. I will stilll be grateful to Smitty for what he did, especially after the whole Petrino fiasco, but DQ is hands down a better coach.

g-dawg and red falcon like this

Just now, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

While TD has had a number of whiffs during that time, I think the HC should also share at least half the blame. I personally don't think it will go back to being that bad becasue we have DQ instead of Smitty now. I will stilll be grateful to Smitty for what he did, especially after the whole Petrino fiasco, but DQ is hands down a better coach.

yeah we are in better shape overall - also added Phil Emery (former Bears GM) and Ruston Webster(former Titans GM) after we added Pioli.   Those two plus Dimitroff plus Quinn and we still have a good corps at the top of college scouting/pro player personnel.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

OTOH, he could become a mutual partner in AFC kind’ve like what we got with Les Snead going to the Rams but better. Depends on where Pioli goes but I don’t sense any bad blood at all.

Falcons are much better equipped to let him walk than when he first came on board.

The FO has a whole offseason to get what’s needed for the results desired next draft.

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

May not have to worry too much about that. The players he scouted for us fit well with DQ's philsophy. So even if he has ideas of the type of players we may be targeting, those same players might not fit the system of the NY HC.

At least that's my theory.

1 minute ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

May not have to worry too much about that. The players he scouted for us fit well with DQ's philsophy. So even if he has ideas of the type of players we may be targeting, those same players might not fit the system of the NY HC.

At least that's my theory.

that is very true - also Jets personnel needs won't be the same as ours - Jets have Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams so they won't be needing to draft any Defensive Tackles in 2020 :D

**** that is fierce!