Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Osiruz

Jets trade Lee for a bag of chips

70 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Exactly. 1st round bust means the talent is there for a reclamation project for one of the former best DCs in the league. I love trading 6ths for talented busts 

Well that was my point in my post. Why was Lee a "failure"? Seriously if the dude has the talent, then something else happened. I just wish there was a way to know and Im guessing only a Jet could tell us. Lazy, dumb, entitled, apathy?

8 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Well that was my point in my post. Why was Lee a "failure"? Seriously if the dude has the talent, then something else happened. I just wish there was a way to know and Im guessing only a Jet could tell us. Lazy, dumb, entitled, apathy?

It depends on the player. Could be the system, poor coaching, injuries, off the field stuff. I don’t know what happened with Lee. I just like speedy LBs not named Duke 

Knight of God likes this

33 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Devondre Campbell might walk next season and Darron Lee has almost identical numbers to him while costing the Chiefs less. The move would have made a lot of sense

then logic says both would get a similar contract offer, right? So with that you're only going to keep 1. If both are similar in production what's the point in making the trade? What I see is the interest in the name alone. If he's no better than what you have outside of Debo as a 3 down guy, it makes no sense to trade for him at all

Osiruz likes this

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Darron Lee

- coming off suspension for PEDS

- one year left on contract 

- huge draft bust

- Huge salary

- cannot defend against the run

- poor tackler

Why is that worth our 6th rounder?

The UDFA we just got from UAB after going undrafted is probably better than Darron Lee.

He's actually an ok player, and the UAB player (Tre Crawford) is a pass rushing LEO not a LBer. We tossed a 6th last year for Richards...IJS.

Yo_Lover, Knight of God and Vandy like this

6 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

He's actually an ok player, and the UAB player (Tre Crawford) is a pass rushing LEO not a LBer. We tossed a 6th last year for Richards...IJS.

If he’s not a starter, you don’t give up a 6th rounder for a 1yr rental.

More than likely, if we made that trade Lee is a backup that only sees major snaps if someone gets hurt.

If we didn’t have Foye then maybe I could see it.

Osiruz likes this

And now it's reported that Adam Gase didn't want the Jets to give Le'Veon Bell a big contract, so there's some tension there. The Jets are a crapstorm.

No wonder the Pats are basically on vacation when they play the AFC East 

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite
Osiruz likes this

On 5/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, ya_boi_j said:

I see no reason why the Falcons should have traded for Lee. Foye showed promise and is a worker so improvement is expected. Debo is Debo. Campbell is a solid LB. Trading for Lee only would have hindered Foye's development. Glad they didn't make a move for him only to let him walk next season.

Yeah, standing pat with this defense makes a ton of sense.

While trading a low pick to see what Lee has to offer team which at worse is compete with Riley would have made a little more sense to those of us who want to see defense actually get better. 

27 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

then logic says both would get a similar contract offer, right? So with that you're only going to keep 1. If both are similar in production what's the point in making the trade? What I see is the interest in the name alone. If he's no better than what you have outside of Debo as a 3 down guy, it makes no sense to trade for him at all

The interest is having BOTH on the roster for 1 season. That'd make our LB core that much better for at least 1 season and give us an upclose look at both guys. And who knows, maybe Darron Lee outperforms De'Vondre in our scheme. It seems tailor made for his run-hit style of play and coverage skills. IMO, Darron Lee is a great WLB candidate for our scheme and De'vondre is a great SLB candidate. That'd give us 3 good options for all three position. 3 LBs that can cover the middle of the field when we go base defense and we already have the DBs (provided everyone is healthy) to do that in nickle. It would have made a lot of sense for upgrading our base defense.

It would also upgrade our depth at a position we don't have starting quality depth. Foye is ok, but if De'vondre or Debo go down again it would be great to have a LB that has experience starting and playing at a good level. 

Edited by MD-FalconFan13
NeonDeion and Vandy like this

14 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

The interest is having BOTH on the roster for 1 season. That'd make our LB core that much better for at least 1 season and give us an upclose look at both guys. And who knows, maybe Darron Lee outperforms De'Vondre in our scheme. It seems tailor made for his run-hit style of play and coverage skills. IMO, Darron Lee is a great WLB candidate for our scheme and De'vondre is a great SLB candidate. That'd give us 3 good options for all three position. 3 LBs that can cover the middle of the field when we go base defense and we already have the DBs (provided everyone is healthy) to do that in nickle. It would have made a lot of sense for upgrading our base defense.

It would also upgrade our depth at a position we don't have starting quality depth. Foye is ok, but if De'vondre or Debo go down again it would be great to have a LB that has experience starting and playing at a good level. 

So you're completely fine with putting a damper on Foye's development on this defense? It's one thing to have depth, it's another thing to make a trade for a starter when a starter isn't needed at the moment and will be a 1 year rental.

10 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

So you're completely fine with putting a damper on Foye's development on this defense? It's one thing to have depth, it's another thing to make a trade for a starter when a starter isn't needed at the moment and will be a 1 year rental.

Foye is a back up SLB/MLB. I don't think he has the tools to play WLB and certainly not better tools than Lee. If Foye plays that probably pushes Campbell to WLB where he's good but not as good as I believe he can be at SLB

I'm more interested in winning than developing talent. Julio is 30 and Matt is 34. Our window isn't going to be open much longer. We need to focus on putting the best players on the field not trying to develop 6th rounders into compotent players. 

Edited by MD-FalconFan13
NeonDeion and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Foye is a back up SLB/MLB. I don't think he has the tools to play WLB and certainly not better tools than Lee. If Foye plays that probably pushes Campbell to WLB where he's good but not as good as I believe he can be at SLB

I'm more interested in winning than developing talent. Julio is 30 and Matt is 34. Our window isn't going to be open much longer. We need to focus on putting the best players on the field not trying to develop 6th rounders into compotent players. 

That's the whole reason to develop players. You can win while developing. Not gonna make comparisons to other teams because I think that's the stupidest thing ever but you developing players certainly doesn't halt winning. Foye improved greatly towards the end of the year and there is no proof as of now that he should be replaced. They can certainly win with that LB core. The Dline is the biggest question mark in the front 7

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Devondre Campbell might walk next season and Darron Lee has almost identical numbers to him while costing the Chiefs less. The move would have made a lot of sense

Lee is in no shape or form a Sam Lb.... 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

That's the whole reason to develop players. You can win while developing. Not gonna make comparisons to other teams because I think that's the stupidest thing ever but you developing players certainly doesn't halt winning. Foye improved greatly towards the end of the year and there is no proof as of now that he should be replaced. They can certainly win with that LB core. The Dline is the biggest question mark in the front 7

Not to mention...Darron Lee is a pretty bad player. It's only because he was a 1st round pick that people are actually still drooling over him

ya_boi_j likes this

4 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Naw.  It wouldn't take that.  I would replace Riley with a 5rd round kicker turned into a linebacker...:lol:

Matt Bosher?

4 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Nice try. Not a bust. Led the league in sacks. Underwhelming for sure and his last year here unless he flips a switch, but not a bust. 

you done had too many concussions primetime.  first you said he isn't a bust.  then you said  " unless he flips a switch".  

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Not to mention...Darron Lee is a pretty bad player. It's only because he was a 1st round pick that people are actually still drooling over him

That's why I said in another post that people just want him because of his name alone. If someone is going to tell me he's no better than Campbell then why should that convince me that it would have been worth the effort

vel likes this

5 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Darron Lee 3 years. 240 career tackles,  4 sacks, 3 INTs, #14 rated MLB based on pff rating, speedy coverage LB

Duke Riley 2 years. 90 career tackles, 0 sacks, 0 INTs,  #88 rated MLB based on pff rating, complete waste of a 3rd rounder 

Idk. Why would we want to upgrade our LB core for cheap? Even if he doesn't start he's only 800k more expensive than Riley but far more productive and has experience starting. He's better than anyone we have other than Debo and De'vondre

Arguments like this are unfair. Who was Lee going to be benched in favor of? He has opportunities to play and accumulate those stats. Duke was always the third LB at best and never going to play more than 50% of snaps. Not saying I'd take Duke over Lee or vice versa, but if Duke had the same amount of snaps, he'd probably "show" better as a LB in terms of stats. 

10 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I think Foye potentially is more than you are giving him credit being, but why not bring in competition or worst case upgrade > Riley. 

Plus no sure thing Campbell stays next year either. Truth to tell, he didn’t play that well last year anyway.

NeonDeion and vel like this