gazoo

The Reason TD,DQ and Blank all said we had to get bigger on OL

499 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Not to be contrary, Vel.  But wouldn’t you agree that both Brown & Carpenter, despite their size, are below average run blockers?  Neither graded over 55 in run blocking last year

And Brown isn’t any better in pass pro.  He committed a concerning eight penalties during the 2018 campaign. “He allowed his quarterbacks to be pressured a whopping 19 times, despite the fact that he started just half the season. 12 of those pressures resulted in quarterback hurries and he allowed the quarterback to be hit 4 times. He also allowed three sacks. Pro Football Focus gave Brown a grade of just 53.5 as a pass blocker. He didn’t fare much better in the run game, grading just 54.1. Overall he was given a grade of only 50.7 out of a possible 99.9. I would consider that a D- performance.”

When I look at things Like that I try to see the whole picture. Like who was the center they played next to. I can guarantee playing next to a guy like Mack improves a guards play to a degree of not just from a communication POV. 

FalconsIn2020 and athell like this

itt we have cracked the code that several nfl execs and scouts have failed to see.  We just take the largest humans, put them on the oline, and watch them immediately turn into all pros for the next 15 years.

Size = / = ability.  At all.  Not even close.  It's a lazy and blatantly incorrect narrative.

These dudes haven't played a snap yet and people already anointing them as some stud nfl players because of their height and weight.  Silliness.

9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

When I look at things Like that I try to see the whole picture. Like who was the center they played next to. I can guarantee playing next to a guy like Mack improves a guards play to a degree of not just from a communication POV. 

It’s a valid point and I agree with it.  It’s tough to grade individual parts of a whole unit.  But after 3 years for Brown, isn’t it fair to say if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...well.

Carpenter on the other hand has had really solid seasons on the NFL level...so I see him as more likely at LG with Lindstrom at RG and Brown backing up

TheFatboi and Vandy like this

3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s a valid point and I agree with it.  It’s tough to grade individual parts of a whole unit.  But after 3 years for Brown, isn’t it fair to say if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...well.

Carpenter on the other hand has had really solid seasons on the NFL level...so I see him as more likely at LG with Lindstrom at RG and Brown backing up

Not exclusively. There’s been plenty of guys that came on later in their career by going to a team that was well built. Carpenter was drafted by Seattle but their line was doo doo for a while. Then the jets whose team has been a dump for a while. Now the falcons who’ve been one of the better teams since 2008. We’ll know if he’s a Duck soon enough. 

Vandy and FalconsIn2020 like this

10 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

In lieu of drafting Lindstrom, the brown signing made little sense. I know this is a hindsite bias rear-view mirror approach, but it’s also why I believe draft did not fall the way TD/Quinn hoped (I think they wanted Wilkins). 

Brown = Wes at much greater cost. 

athell, FalconsIn2020 and TheFatboi like this

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Not exclusively. There’s been plenty of guys that came on later in their career by going to a team that was well built. Carpenter was drafted by Seattle but their line was doo doo for a while. Then the jets whose team has been a dump for a while. Now the falcons who’ve been one of the better teams since 2008. We’ll know if he’s a Duck soon enough. 

Carpenter was a 1st round pick if I remember right.  And I love his mean style of play.  

And you’re right about brown.  Many OL’men have been crap until out of nowhere they weren’t crap, and make the Pro Bowl.

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

In lieu of drafting Lindstrom, the brown signing made little sense. I know this is a hindsite bias rear-view mirror approach, but it’s also why I believe draft did not fall the way TD/Quinn hoped (I think they wanted Wilkins). 

I think they did everything they did because they don’t want another 2018 in terms of if we have a few key injuries we’re done. They really went after depth this year. Even if over paying for some of it we won’t get caught with our pants down this year. 

FalconsIn2020 and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Carpenter was a 1st round pick if I remember right.  And I love his mean style of play.  

And you’re right about brown.  Many OL’men have been crap until out of nowhere they weren’t crap, and make the Pro Bowl.

Yea carp was a 1st rounder. I think he’ll start at LG and Lindstrom and Brown will battle for the RG job. 

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

In lieu of drafting Lindstrom, the brown signing made little sense. I know this is a hindsite bias rear-view mirror view, but also is why I believe draft did not fall the way TD/Quinn hoped (I think they wanted Wilkins). 

$6,000,000 a year that could have gone to a Danny Shelton and  depth in the secondary

athell and Vandy like this

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Not sure that is fair to Ham, but valid point about the cost.

Vandy likes this

Just now, TheFatboi said:

Yea carp was a 1st rounder. I think he’ll start at LG and Lindstrom and Brown will battle for the RG job. 

I'd be stunned if Lindstrom wasn't starting day 1.  Shocked.

FalconsIn2020, Vandy and TheFatboi like this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

$6,000,000 a year that could have gone to a Danny Shelton and  depth in the secondary

We have secondary depth tho. And added 2 more rookie corners to it in the draft. 

athell likes this

Just now, athell said:

Not sure that is fair to Ham, but valid point about the cost.

I know I’m in minority, but I’ve never thought Wes was as bad as board makes him out to be. 

Lornoth and TheFatboi like this

1 minute ago, athell said:

I’m sure he will but it will still be a battle. I don’t want it just handed to him. Or McGary. 

athell likes this

He will have to win the job..but he should bear out Brown

athell likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We have a much cheaper Danny Shelton already.  Shelton would have been redundant.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Just now, Vandy said:

I know I’m in minority, but I’ve never thought Wes was as bad as board makes him out to be. 

He’s not. Which makes it even better depth wise on the line. And wes could end up the future center as well. 

FalconsIn2020 and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

He isn't terrible.  He isn't good tho.  He's ok.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He will have to win the job..but he should bear out Brown

Would hope so...

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

We have secondary depth tho. And added 2 more rookie corners to it in the draft. 

I really just wanted a veteran backup at the SS position.  I know we added a few guys, but if Neal goes down its a problem.  Kazee can replace Rico....Sheffield can replace Kazee.  Don’t see a suitable Keke replacement

2 minutes ago, athell said:

We have a much cheaper Danny Shelton already.  Shelton would have been redundant.

Davison is ok and for the cost it’s a steal.  Shelton is a much better player IMO though.

athell likes this

Davison is ok.  Shelton is a much better player IMO though.

Ty guy gonna surprise some people this year...

I really just wanted a veteran backup at the SS position.  I know we added a few guys, but if Neal goes down its a problem.  Kazee can replace Rico....Sheffield can replace Kazee.  Don’t see a suitable Keke replacement

Wilcox and neasman are the SS’s. Both vets. Wilcox being the senior. I feel much better than last year if Neal hoes down. I have faith in Wilcox and neasman after the way he played late in the season. 

He isn't terrible.  He isn't good tho.  He's ok.

Agree.

As was Chester & Fusco. As is Brown. 

athell likes this