gazoo

The Reason TD,DQ and Blank all said we had to get bigger on OL

499 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

But that’s on Matt.  He needs to believe in the next play and get rid of the ball to take care of himself

Which QB holds ball longer on same passing play on 3rd and 10  that is called?

Quaterback A- Drops back, edge pressure starts coming, steps up and delivers strike untouched for  a first down 12 yards downfield.

Quarterback B- has a defender with a full head of steam coming directly at him shooting A gap immediately after the snap, has to move laterally to stop from getting killed, avoids a drive killing sack, escapes pocket and makes a 12 yard completion out of a broken play.

4 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Regardless of how many times Matt got hit. We scored a lot. Everyone remembers a jet sweep on the goal line and hated it. Everyone remembers the failure to score from the 7 yard line. But then everyone conveniently forgets we were 64% scoring in the redzone. People forget we were 10th in scoring and that was with 6 different OGs , 2 RTs, and no pro bowl RB. Our Offense was very good at putting up points and keeping us in games.

The offense wasn't just good last year, it was good even when compared to previous years and NFL averages. It is important to understand how 2018 was a different year for scoring in the NFL. 3 teams scored over 500 pts in 2018. That hasn't happened before. It was such an aberration, we need to look at what a normal offensive scoring season looks like to put our offensive output into perspective.

2018 offensive scoring
KC 565,LAR 527,NO 504,NE 436 in order and then at 10th ATL with 414pts.

So for 2018, 415 points makes us ranked 10th. But in 2017 that same total (414) would have been good for 5th! In 2016 it would have been 7th. In 2014 and 2015 it would have been 8th. You see, we scored well. We've always scored well with a Matt Ryan team. Even with what this thread is calling bad OLines, we scored. Remember our guard problem, our RT problem, our missing pro bowl RB? Something doesn't add up.

That only tells half the story in 2018 because our defense gave up 423 points 8th worst in the league. In 2017 our D gave up 315 points, 8th best ranking. That should end the argument right there. For those of you playing at home, we went into the playoffs in '17 and won and then nearly won in PHI with an offense that was 15th but a defense that was 8th in scoring allowed. Balance! Our Defense performed.

Here is the point if you haven't caught on. Even with a garbage Oline we were 64% redzone scoring and 10th in total points. We lost 4 games by 6 points or less. We blew 4 4th quarter leads. The defense let this team down in a massive way. Yes the injuries hampered this team not only from a talent level but from a coaching level as well. Bad players stayed on the field too long such as Duke and Richards. There was little to no depth on the defense.  The defense though, even when Grady and Debo came back, still gave up a 200 yard rushing game and had 3 other games over 120 yards rushing avg.

To the OP, this offseason we are took our offense which is already doing well and we are now trying to red line the tachometer to squeeze more out of it. In my opinion we really should have just focused on the defense to bring balance to the team. DQ's hubris makes him think he can "fix" this defense with players coming off season ending injuries and no pass rush. KC and LA are the perfect examples of what happens in the playoffs when you try to go big offense and your defense fails you. KC gave up the 9th most points and LA 13th. There sits NE, with 26th least points given up and another championship.

Offense and guards and tackles were not the main issue. Sark was not the main issue. It was the defense. Did the guards need upgrading, YES. Funny how this offense still clicked along with Sark being so hated, 6 starting OGs, 2 starting RTs and missing our pro bowl RB. This offseason we brought in 4 new OL starters, 2 new RBs, a plethora of new TEs and a new WR. Meanwhile, The defense got zero new starters and only a prayer that the injured players recover and are ready and not tentative when playing.

standing_ovation.gif

FalconsIn2020 likes this

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Which QB holds ball longer on same passing play on 3rd and 10  that is called?

Quaterback A- Drops back, edge pressure starts coming, steps up and delivers strike untouched.

Quarterback B- has two defenders with a full head of steam coming directly at him immediately after the snap, has to move laterally to stop from getting killed, escapes pocket and makes a 12 yard completion out of a broken play?

lol

Even funnier that you actually buy into your own ####### that QB B is Matt Ryan.

Keep digging man, you are doing a great job.  Almost to China, you can do it!

34 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Regardless of how many times Matt got hit. We scored a lot. Everyone remembers a jet sweep on the goal line and hated it. Everyone remembers the failure to score from the 7 yard line. But then everyone conveniently forgets we were 64% scoring in the redzone. People forget we were 10th in scoring and that was with 6 different OGs , 2 RTs, and no pro bowl RB. Our Offense was very good at putting up points and keeping us in games.

The offense wasn't just good last year, it was good even when compared to previous years and NFL averages. It is important to understand how 2018 was a different year for scoring in the NFL. 3 teams scored over 500 pts in 2018. That hasn't happened before. It was such an aberration, we need to look at what a normal offensive scoring season looks like to put our offensive output into perspective.

2018 offensive scoring
KC 565,LAR 527,NO 504,NE 436 in order and then at 10th ATL with 414pts.

So for 2018, 415 points makes us ranked 10th. But in 2017 that same total (414) would have been good for 5th! In 2016 it would have been 7th. In 2014 and 2015 it would have been 8th. You see, we scored well. We've always scored well with a Matt Ryan team. Even with what this thread is calling bad OLines, we scored. Remember our guard problem, our RT problem, our missing pro bowl RB? Something doesn't add up.

That only tells half the story in 2018 because our defense gave up 423 points 8th worst in the league. In 2017 our D gave up 315 points, 8th best ranking. That should end the argument right there. For those of you playing at home, we went into the playoffs in '17 and won and then nearly won in PHI with an offense that was 15th but a defense that was 8th in scoring allowed. Balance! Our Defense performed.

Here is the point if you haven't caught on. Even with a garbage Oline we were 64% redzone scoring and 10th in total points. We lost 4 games by 6 points or less. We blew 4 4th quarter leads. The defense let this team down in a massive way. Yes the injuries hampered this team not only from a talent level but from a coaching level as well. Bad players stayed on the field too long such as Duke and Richards. There was little to no depth on the defense.  The defense though, even when Grady and Debo came back, still gave up a 200 yard rushing game and had 3 other games over 120 yards rushing avg.

To the OP, this offseason we are took our offense which is already doing well and we are now trying to red line the tachometer to squeeze more out of it. In my opinion we really should have just focused on the defense to bring balance to the team. DQ's hubris makes him think he can "fix" this defense with players coming off season ending injuries and no pass rush. KC and LA are the perfect examples of what happens in the playoffs when you try to go big offense and your defense fails you. KC gave up the 9th most points and LA 13th. There sits NE, with 26th least points given up and another championship.

Offense and guards and tackles were not the main issue. Sark was not the main issue. It was the defense. Did the guards need upgrading, YES. Funny how this offense still clicked along with Sark being so hated, 6 starting OGs, 2 starting RTs and missing our pro bowl RB. This offseason we brought in 4 new OL starters, 2 new RBs, a plethora of new TEs and a new WR. Meanwhile, The defense got zero new starters and only a prayer that the injured players recover and are ready and not tentative when playing.

This should have ended thread/ but for some crazy reason, I suspect it won’t. :ninja:

vel and athell like this

19 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I want to agree with this but I disagree to a degree. Like you pointed out, Matt is getting hit. A lot. That's not sustainable. He's aging. Adding guys like Carpenter and Brown don't fix that. Even though I was in Sambrailo's corner, he's too high risk to bet on with those two OGs. That was a very high risk OL at a position you don't need to take those kinds of risks. They didn't have much choice but to make the OL a strength finally. This also opens the door to pour future resources into the defense going forward. 

You point out the balance a solid defense brought this team. Look at that roster from 2017. Same group we have, plus some seasoning and key changes. The defense doesn't lack talent. It's underperformed, something I've harped on for two straight seasons. You have two first round picks at DE underperforming. You have a #1 corner who's seemed to gotten comfortable. What would you have done to the defense? The secondary was pretty much set in terms of starters (Tru, Oliver, Kazee, Rico, Neal). Same with the LBs (Debo, Campbell). Same with the DL (Vic, Takk, Grady, Crawford, Senat). 

And New England just showed that a pass rush is fine, but not a requirement to having a good defense. They were 30th in the league in sacks. Atlanta was 22nd. And they only had 3 more INTs than Atlanta, so it wasn't pressure leading to turnovers. It was coaching and players consistently doing their jobs correctly and staying healthy. Take Hightower, McCourty, Chung from that defense in the first three weeks then take Flowers for a few games. Totally different unit. The Falcons defense doesn't lack talent. They need to be utilized better and coached/schemed better. 

2018 offense was great at the start!....28.5 ppg over the first half of the season!

How did we end the season? 23.25 ppg over the final 8...without a consistent run game or pass protection.

Oh, that was with a 40 point output at home against the helpless Cardinals with Josh Rosen and then vs the VAUNTED Bucs Defense we closed the year with 34 points.

So, yeah...OL needed an overhaul.

Why look at the body of work without digging into the details?

That's just ignorant.

Posted (edited)

@runshoot

We got 2 starting Safeties coming back.

We got a new starting CB that was groomed to replace Alford.

We got a new starting 1T and are giving Senat his chance to improve year 2 before committing to Davison long term.

We got Foye to replace Duke; albeit forced to when Debo was hurt.

And, we brought some stop-gaps to the DL by tagging Grady, not rescinding VB, and getting the reliable AC back in the rotation.

The issues long-term on Defense are there, but the offense clearly had bottomed out 2nd half of last year. Same trouble of the OL rearing it's ugly head a 2nd season in a row. OC, run game failures, or what...the OL could not fail to have the fix it needed after trying to rely on a healthy Levitre and failing to replace Chester since 2016.

Matt and the pass game can only make the rest look good for so long. AND we lost our previously solid RT to a major regression in 2018...part of our downturn.

Now, was it overkill on fixing the OL? Yes. Was it necessary after 2 years of failing when you have an offense built team that is coming up short at doing basics like running the ball? Yes.

Franchise QB and assets are on the offense.

Defense getting players anyway. So, that's not true the D was ignored JUST because we focused on the OL primarily. It WAS a major issue. The DL gets the attention next offseason instead of drafting VB clone Brian Burns or even over-drafting in contrast for a 1T?

We would've had a crowd on DL or on the OL after this draft.

Either way; IMO we got a better situation going the route we did CONSIDERING how the draft fell.

Lindstrom (best OG) and McGary (4th OT) and a good OL overall will help the DL get tested weekly. On gameday, we might actually be ready this year with DQ pushing them. There is youth that simply needs to produce on the Defense.

Can't fix 2 major issues in one offseason completely. We went with a plan that rested on more resources for the new OC and DQ relying on himself taking over the D.

Give DQ an offseason with the player situations mentioned before. That's at least 6 new starters on D compared to points in 2018.

Alford, McClain, Duke, Reed...Oliver, Davison, Foye, Means

Those are measurable upgrades.

The first 3 were ABSOLUTELY garbage. You simply don't get worse performance than how badly those guys were. Reed simply didn't make enough plays for us anymore and Means starting to close the season proved he could at least supplant that role in the DE rotation.

also Richards/Neas/Kazee vs Neal/Rico

Kazee replaces Poole now, but we get Rico back instead of Kazee. We missed Rico terribly last year.

Neal is a nice upgrade from Neas; who was at least better than Richards but not to Keke's level.

Notice I didn't even mention the draft picks because they are investments into the future of the defense. The OL got the highest capital this offseason. Guess where next year is going? That's also why we aren't trading draft picks for 1 year fliers when the cap space we have necessitates we get rookie contracts to bridge gaps on vet players needing to be let go.

Complain then blame the VB situation or Grady being franchised. That's more invested into the DL relative to FA before the draft. :shrug:

Results are another conversation. We have enough talent on Defense to be a good unit. That's all our offense needs; since the goal was to fix our broken OL.

Levitre retired...RG a failure since Wes couldn't cement post-Chester his name there...RT RS met a wall early...

Maybe that keeps Free healthier and makes the offense overall better...something that was needed in that 5 game losing streak where we hit rock bottom.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
vel likes this

6 minutes ago, shock said:

**** we’re lucky Matt Ryan is made of rubber with as many hits he takes. Sheesh. 

Best believe we ain't going nowhere if Gumby ever got Gimpy.

FIX THE LINES!!! we screamed...until we did. :huh:

gazoo and FalconsIn2020 like this

13 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Results are another conversation. We have enough talent on Defense to be a good unit. That's all our offense needs; since the goal was to fix our broken OL.

Agreed. We have a ton of talent on offense to be electric again, but trotting out Jake, Carpenter, Mack, Brown, and Sambrailo was no guarantee they'd reach an elite level as a scoring offense. HeIl, it'd be more likely that unit would be getting destroyed by the end of the year and people questioning why they thought those guys were all starters in the first place. 

The defense has ample talent to be average at worst. That's what New Orleans was, carried by their run defense. It was good enough to get them to the SB. They don't have to be great. It just can't be gunning for worst in the league like Kansas City's was. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

I want to agree with this but I disagree to a degree. Like you pointed out, Matt is getting hit. A lot. That's not sustainable. He's aging. Adding guys like Carpenter and Brown don't fix that. Even though I was in Sambrailo's corner, he's too high risk to bet on with those two OGs. That was a very high risk OL at a position you don't need to take those kinds of risks. They didn't have much choice but to make the OL a strength finally. This also opens the door to pour future resources into the defense going forward. 

You point out the balance a solid defense brought this team. Look at that roster from 2017. Same group we have, plus some seasoning and key changes. The defense doesn't lack talent. It's underperformed, something I've harped on for two straight seasons. You have two first round picks at DE underperforming. You have a #1 corner who's seemed to gotten comfortable. What would you have done to the defense? The secondary was pretty much set in terms of starters (Tru, Oliver, Kazee, Rico, Neal). Same with the LBs (Debo, Campbell). Same with the DL (Vic, Takk, Grady, Crawford, Senat). 

And New England just showed that a pass rush is fine, but not a requirement to having a good defense. They were 30th in the league in sacks. Atlanta was 22nd. And they only had 3 more INTs than Atlanta, so it wasn't pressure leading to turnovers. It was coaching and players consistently doing their jobs correctly and staying healthy. Take Hightower, McCourty, Chung from that defense in the first three weeks then take Flowers for a few games. Totally different unit. The Falcons defense doesn't lack talent. They need to be utilized better and coached/schemed better. 

LOL @vel, if I posted that trash you are responding to, I must have been drunk!!! That don’t even sound like me.

Where did you find that quote?

Ergo Proxy, Flying Falcon and vel like this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

LOL @vel, if I posted that trash you are responding to, I must have been drunk!!! That don’t even sound like me.

Where did you find that quote?

What?! I definitely quoted @runshoot not sure how you got quoted lmao

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

12 minutes ago, vel said:

What?! I definitely quoted @runshoot not sure how you got quoted lmao

LOL....you hacked me!

I don’t think it was a bad post at all, actually agree with much of it..... so it certainly was not trash (LOL, sorry Run/shoot :ninja:).....but it didn’t sound familiar and I sure don’t talk like that!

vel and Flying Falcon like this

16 hours ago, vel said:

I see this somewhat differently.

I think as far as getting beat by a defender getting past them in pass protection on occasion I agree no change.  This might account for maybe 5  passing snaps in 2019.

But what is happening the other 600 passing snaps where Brown doesn’t get beat for a sack?

When Ryan gets flushed out of a collapsing pocket and scrambles laterally to get away from the pressure, which happens at a far higher frequency than it does to Brees and Brady, as he is running away from defenders in pursuit, he takes a ton of hits outside the pocket.  

The NFL keeps no stat on an interior OL getting shoved back into a QBs feet in pass protection, flushing him out of the pocket. It also doesn’t assign QB “hits” to an OL if the hit took place outside the pocket as Ryan is scrambling.

It is my belief, based on a lot of visual evidence,  that Brown can anchor and hold a pocket much better than Levitre and a host of other OGs we’ve had. So while Brown might  get beat for an occasional sack, the other 600 passing snaps he is going to keep bull rushng DTs out of Ryan’s face, Ryan is going to be able to step up into a protective pocket more. This will lead to several less hits over a season.

We could see QB hits reduced from 106 in 2016, 108 in 2018, down to something far more in the range of 60 to 70. Also, the amount of time he holds the ball will drop. 

I also believe Lindstrom will be a better pass protector than any of the OGs we’ve had here since implementing the ZBS.  Better pass protector than Levitre, Chester, and all the rest. 

One thing only you and a few others on this thread were able to understand in my post is the insidious impact interior pressure/pocket collapsing has on a pocket QB has on Ryan. It’s far worse than edge pressure with a pocket to step up into like Brees and Brady typically have to deal with . It leads to a lot more hits on our QB. 

Our bigger, stronger, more powerful, more aggressive, meaner 2019  OL should be able to move defenses off the ball when needed and anchor in pass protection better. We haven’t seen that in quite some time. 

2 hours ago, vel said:

Agreed. We have a ton of talent on offense to be electric again, but trotting out Jake, Carpenter, Mack, Brown, and Sambrailo was no guarantee they'd reach an elite level as a scoring offense. HeIl, it'd be more likely that unit would be getting destroyed by the end of the year and people questioning why they thought those guys were all starters in the first place. 

The defense has ample talent to be average at worst. That's what New Orleans was, carried by their run defense. It was good enough to get them to the SB. They don't have to be great. It just can't be gunning for worst in the league like Kansas City's was. 

If our offense is dynamic again, the defense simply needs to be opportunistic.  

A +10 TO margin means we will have a great season

Vandy likes this

14 hours ago, Vandy said:

LOL....you hacked me!

I don’t think it was a bad post at all, actually agree with much of it..... so it certainly was not trash (LOL, sorry Run/shoot :ninja:).....but it didn’t sound familiar and I sure don’t talk like that!

aw man I dont want to be trash :(:(

Flying Falcon and Vandy like this

13 hours ago, gazoo said:

I see this somewhat differently.

I think as far as getting beat by a defender getting past them in pass protection on occasion I agree no change.  This might account for maybe 5  passing snaps in 2019.

But what is happening the other 600 passing snaps where Brown doesn’t get beat for a sack?

When Ryan gets flushed out of a collapsing pocket and scrambles laterally to get away from the pressure, which happens at a far higher frequency than it does to Brees and Brady, as he is running away from defenders in pursuit, he takes a ton of hits outside the pocket.  

The NFL keeps no stat on an interior OL getting shoved back into a QBs feet in pass protection, flushing him out of the pocket. It also doesn’t assign QB “hits” to an OL if the hit took place outside the pocket as Ryan is scrambling.

It is my belief, based on a lot of visual evidence,  that Brown can anchor and hold a pocket much better than Levitre and a host of other OGs we’ve had. So while Brown might  get beat for an occasional sack, the other 600 passing snaps he is going to keep bull rushng DTs out of Ryan’s face, Ryan is going to be able to step up into a protective pocket more. This will lead to several less hits over a season.

We could see QB hits reduced from 106 in 2016, 108 in 2018, down to something far more in the range of 60 to 70. Also, the amount of time he holds the ball will drop. 

I also believe Lindstrom will be a better pass protector than any of the OGs we’ve had here since implementing the ZBS.  Better pass protector than Levitre, Chester, and all the rest. 

One thing only you and a few others on this thread were able to understand in my post is the insidious impact interior pressure/pocket collapsing has on a pocket QB has on Ryan. It’s far worse than edge pressure with a pocket to step up into like Brees and Brady typically have to deal with . It leads to a lot more hits on our QB. 

Our bigger, stronger, more powerful, more aggressive, meaner 2019  OL should be able to move defenses off the ball when needed and anchor in pass protection better. We haven’t seen that in quite some time. 

I'm not saying Brown and Carpenter don't help. My point was that going into 2019 with Brown, Carpenter, and Sambrailo starting doesn't fix that. That's a high risk OL with a high potential of inconsistency. That's why adding Lindstrom and McGary makes everything look much better. I agree by and large the improved OL was more important than adding more defensive talent if it's just going to underperform. 

gazoo likes this

On 5/15/2019 at 6:16 PM, gazoo said:

While it is true our 2016 OL was very good, It was also in fact one of the worst (statistically)  in the NFL at protecting the QB. Ryan was getting mauled just as much in 2016 as he was in 2018. 

The 2018 offensive line actually improved 2 positions in the standings in sacks allowed from 2016. There ARE some legitimate explanations for some of the 2016 numbers that weren’t on the OL, but the inability of the interior of the OL to hold a pocket in passing situations was getting Ryan killed. Pressures are not all equal, if defenses can get pressure up the middle it’s much harder on a pocket QB than if it comes off the edges and the QB can step into a clean pocket to quickly dump ball off without getting hit.

In 2016, due to Shanny’s excellent ability to gamemplan and attack defenses, a phenomenal QB when under pressure with a quick release, the outstanding and versatile skill position players, we were able to score tons of points quickly despite the underlying weakness of the interior OL. This allowed us to jump up on teams, not have to play from deep holes where defenses knew we had to pass and tee off on us, it kept defenses on their heels most of the time.

But the weakness was still there, and it centered on the interior. Here is some of the proof:

In 2016 regular season Ryan was sacked 37 times and hit 106 times. In 2018 when we all admit our OL was horrible and Ryan was getting the snot beat out of him, Ryan was sacked 42 times and hit 108.  

Ryan was hit only 2 times less in 2016 than 2018.

In 2016, only 5 OLs gave up more QB hits than the Falcons, and only 10 OLs gave up more sacks.

In 2018, only 5 OLs gave up more hits and 12 OLs gave up more sacks. 

Lets  take a look at what other pocket QBs endured the same years

Ryan

2016 - 37 sacks/106 Hits

2018 42 sacks/108 hits

Brees

2016- 27 sacks/70 hits

2017- 20 sacks / 58 hits

2018- 20 sacks/52 hits

Brady  

2016-24 sacks/73 hits

2018- 21 sacks/ 68 hits

Big Ben

2016- 21 sacks/56 hits

2018- 24 sacks/72 hits

The offensive lines of all these other pocket QBs were far better at holding a pocket and keeping defenders off their QB than our 2016 OL was.  We’ve all seen, with our own eyes,  these other top QBs most years enjoy nice comfortable pockets to step up into when pressure is coming off edges. The Falcons interior of our OL was getting pushed around in situational football, unable to hold a pocket on 3rd and long, unable to take over a game by blowing defenses back off the ball at point of attack, feckless in short yardage. I was tired of so often not being able to get a tough 3rd and 1 on the ground or getting stuffed so often in goalline situations. 

Sure, we threw a lot of deep balls in 2016, but so did Drew Brees. Brees actually had more 20+ completions in 2016 and 2017 than Ryan in 2016, but was hit 50 times less in 2017 and 54 times less in 2016.  But even more insidious was Brees and Brady almost always had a strong pocket to step up into and dump ball off when pressure was coming off the edges. With Ryan, the pressure often came from his interior OL collapsing and him having to move laterally to escape, being chased by defenders as he ran around the field with the ball looking for a receiver downfield. This led to way more hits and sacks. The collapsing interior pocket also created gaps for blitzers and stunts to get through and lay the hammer on a defenseless but tough and nails Ryan as he was throwing the ball.

These other pocket QBs aren’t taking anywhere near the pounding Ryan has been playing behind the 2016 and 2018 OLs.  In 2016 Our OGs were both older (33 years old and 31 years old) both 303lbs and RT Shraeder was only 300lbs. We replaced them with a 340lb OG, a 321lb OG, and drafted a 327lb RT and an Uber talented 308Lb OG who excels in pass protection.  I don’t see this 2019 OL getting run over by bull rushing DTs as much, robbing Ryan of a pocket to pass from.

Ryan has been getting absolutely killed and TD, DQ and Blank all realized they had to fix the inherent problem of having smallish, more mobile but lighter and less powerful OL. Sure, the zone blocking allows our backs to break long runs if they hit second level, but also makes it difficult to pound out a tough yard on 1st and goal at the 1, or consistently hold a good clean pocket in obvious passing situations like the other pocket QBs enjoy.

Great post,, thanks,,  The one thing on this chart that sticks out..  Last year Ryan was hit 42 times and Brady only 21 times ,,  Ryan was hit twice as much as Brady,,  This is why we went with the OL with our first 2 picks.. Wise and this move will help this team more than any other thing we have done this off season ,, Other than getting rid of Sark ...That is going to help us more than any move we havemade. 

gazoo likes this

49 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Ole Lamar lol. Him and konz were just blah

And to your earlier point, Both guys were > 6’5” and weighed north of 320...I bet Lamar after a midnight KFC run weighed close to 350...

youngbloodz likes this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

And to your earlier point, Both guys were > 6’5” and weighed north of 320...I bet Lamar after a midnight KFC run weighed close to 350...

But you need to remember this truth, "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest Link !!" 

gazoo likes this

3 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

But you need to remember this truth, "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest Link !!" 

Point is, There were a lot of weak links in that 2013-14 OL chain . Which proves a bigger chain isn’t necessarily a better chain. 

14 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Point is, There were a lot of weak links in that 2013-14 OL chain . Which proves a bigger chain isn’t necessarily a better chain. 

True,, But my point would be,,  Now, our OL will be bigger and better.. Our first two picks in this draft was  in the First Round of one of the Strongest drafts in History ...  Add that to our best 3 OL which IMO are some of the best OL that the Falcons have ever had.... and we have I'd say the best OL ever as a whole in the history of this team.  Big Statement , But show me one better than what we have now? From one end to the other ?? No way can anybody find a Falcon OL that has  more talent than this OL this year.. and one of the many reasons why I think we will be there at the end of the season... As long as Ryan stays healthy. Plus to have our Running Game improved greatly with the addition of Ollison at 6-1, 232lbs, Another piece to this puzzle that finishes up a great need to make this team a great team.