Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beef

Who ya want at 8 & 10?

I'm re-reviewing all the stats and film on all the guys surrounding our 2 picks.

SF Cam Reddish

PF Brandon Clarke

C Jaxson Hayes

C Bol Bol

PF/SF Sekou Doumbouya

PG/SG Coby White

SG Tyler Herro

C Bruno Fernando

C Goga Bitadze

SG Romeo Langford

PF Grant Williams

SG Nickiel Alexander-Walker

PF PJ Washington

PF Rui Hachimura

SF Nasir Little

SG Kevin Porter, Jr.

C Jontay Porter

SF Matisse Thybulle

2 of these guys are likely going to be Hawks, unless we make some kind of trade, obviously.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Bol Bol and Coby White.  Maybe Jaxson Hayes instead of Bol Bol if Schlenk is turned off by Bol's injury history.  And maybe Tyler Herro instead of Coby White if Schlenk wants a better defender who can also shoot and create plays.

White is a perfect fit and probably the biggest no-brainer.  A combo PG/SG gives us a very dynamic situation of covering the 1 and 2 with Trae, Huerter, and White in any combination of the 2 of the 3.  However, Herro might actually be quicker than White and a better shooter, PLUS a better defender.  Herro isn't really a combo PG, though, so that's the big difference.  Basically, if Schlenk isn't looking for another PG, Herro is probably the better selection then.

Bol is surprisingly agile with good handles and a very good perimeter shooter on top of being an incredible defensive presence around the rim... and frankly anywhere on the floor because of his insane length and surprisingly good quickness.  He checks every box that Schlenk looks for, including 3pt shooting ability.  His only concern, which is a big one, is that he's suffered a couple injuries and missed a fair amount of playing time as a result (his father had a pretty bad NBA injury history too).  BUT, if he stays healthy, he has a ceiling of Elite potential with a very high floor too.  He's a complete package.  If not for the injury concerns, he'd be a top-3 pick.

Hayes does not check all the Schlenk boxes.  He is an average passer, below average perimeter shooter, below average FT shooter, average rebounder, and can't shoot the 3.  He is, however, an incredible defender, and can throw down a ton of dunks.  He commands the rim on the offensive side.  Oddly, he's not a prolific rebounder, which is strange.  I'm not a big fan of Hayes.  He's simply not a good fit on this team offensively.  Defensively, however, we could use him A LOT.

Personally, I'd rather take a flier on Bol at 10 since we have Len as the primary C already, and Len has stepped his game up tremendously.  Bol, if he stays healthy, could be elite within 3-4 years, however.  Like seriously a top-2 or 3 C in the league.  He is that good and has that much potential.

I don't like Brandon Clarke (great defender, can't score) or Cam Reddish (zero awareness) or Romeo Langford (not even sure why he's in top-20) or either of the Porters, nor Fernando or Bitadze (they're just not near as good as Bol or Hayes) at all.  Doumboya and Washington look pretty good, and could be options at the 3 and 4 coming off the bench for a couple years, and maybe could blossom into fulltime 3's.  But honestly, I don't see much more than T. Prince in them, but who knows.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Matisse Thybulle are both incredible defenders at the 2, especially Thybulle.  NAW is also an above average scorer, too.  They are possible options to come off the bench behind Huerter when we need more defense.  Maybe they could be groomed into better scorer's too.

TL,DR:  I like Coby White and Bol Bol for 8 & 10.  Second choices, Tyler Herro and Jaxson Hayes.

I like the Porters.

Kevin I love on the court but hate off of it. He has the biggest boom or bust potential to me because he can really explode offensively and plays hard. But his issues are a major red flag

Johntay, I think he has the most modern big man game in the draft. He rebounds well, defends, can block shots, but he can also shoot and pass exceptionally well at all levels of the floor. His injury is what will make him fall but I think he has the goods when healthy to be a center sized version of Draymond Green exept he wont be able to guard smaller players.

I really like Coby White for us for those same reasons you mentioned.

Between Bruno and Jaxson I just like Bruno better. He is more of a polished athlete and seems mobile enough to switch on defense.

Bol Bol Ive never been sold on. I try to ignore the height and just focus on his actual game first and foremost. He is a good prospect but imo overhyped

Cam Reddish and Sekou are very similar players to me right now. I was hard on Cam all year but there is no denying he has all the skills and physical tools needed to be a star. I look at his highlights and tell myself that he would fit nicely playing alongside a ball dominant creator in Trae versus other teams that would depend on him to be the leading playmaker, so I think that has to factor in to our decision making process when evaluating him. 

Sekou is a bit of an unknown but is very talented with tons of potential.

I'd be happy with Coby White, Cam Reddish, Sekou, and either Bruno or Hayes with 8 and 10. I'd love to take J. Porter if he falls to the mid 20's and we trade up for him

Jaxon Hayes and Cam Reddish...   Hayes would be the interior defender the Hawks need and Reddish would be another catch and shoot option on the wing

28 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Jaxon Hayes and Cam Reddish...   Hayes would be the interior defender the Hawks need and Reddish would be another catch and shoot option on the wing

You want a 35% catch and shoot option that has zero floor awareness and is an average defender?

Reddish is the lowest floor/lowest ceiling guy with a top-10 projection in this entire draft.

No thanks.

7 hours ago, Beef said:

You want a 35% catch and shoot option that has zero floor awareness and is an average defender?

Reddish is the lowest floor/lowest ceiling guy with a top-10 projection in this entire draft.

No thanks.

Nearly all one and done prospects are unfinished products as shooters and defenders. I see it every year, people knock guys for these two things just for them to go to the league and develop both traits by their primes.

The best, nba-ready shooters and defenders in college tend to be older upperclassmen with zero upside. So it’s a catch 22.

Reddish projects well defensively from a physical stand point, has the wingspan and athleticism, and has a beautiful shooting stroke to start with. He will eventually become a good pro, just not the superstar he was considered to be out if high school. But looking at his HIGH lights it’s hard to imagine him turning out to be a bust. The talent is evident in the kid, he literally just has to be more aggressive. That’s it. 

6 hours ago, jidady said:

Jontay Porter just tore the same ACL again in March and is out for the year. I want no part of a dude who tears a ligament twice in two years.

Which is why I wouldn’t invest a high pick on him. But it’s worth a later pick to take a guy who, when healthy,  can be a legit player. Denver is about to capitalize  on his brother who sat out a year to get healthy. Johntay may end up doing the same thing. It’s the kind of patience that 4 years from now people look back and say, where did this guy come from, and why did so many teams pass up on him. Sometimes its worth the wait

1 minute ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Which is why I wouldn’t invest a high pick on him. But it’s worth a later pick to take a guy who, when healthy,  can be a legit player. Denver is about to capitalize  on his brother who sat out a year to get healthy. Johntay may end up doing the same thing. It’s the kind of patience that 4 years from now people look back and say, where did this guy come from, and why did so many teams pass up on him. Sometimes its worth the wait

And that's totally fine for a later pick like happened with Harry Giles. I would never do it with a top 10 pick, though, even in a thin draft. The only exception would be someone like Embiid, a surefire stud, not a potential legit player.

No to Clarke. I like him, a lot actually, as a college player but not as a lottery pick. Small wingspan and height with no jumpshot who would basically be a roll-man from the SF position. 

He’s a darn high energy type of guy who has awesome timing on his rim protection, and his defense is something we could use. I just don’t think his ceiling is too high, and I view him as more of a ‘final piece’ to an already established team as opposed to being a franchise cornerstone. I think he’ll be a much appreciated pick whereever he goes; just isn’t what Atlanta needs from a Top 10 pick. 

1 hour ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

WHAAAAAAA???! Guys who sustain injuries like that usually gain a good bit of weight quick from not being able to work out and such, not LOSE that much weight...

Yeah, Bol Bol should scare the ish outta everyone. 

He already had zero weight to him and zero strength, and apparently he lost MORE muscle mass. 

Even if he stays healthy(which is a long shot) it seems very doubtful that he would even be able to bulk up at all. He's going to get absolutely abused by big men. 

What’s with the Hayes Love-  should’ve took Mitchell Robinson last year in the second round but that’s just me why waste a top 10 pick on a guy who won’t start for at least two years if at all 

Trade up- Barret or Culver/ Bruno at 17

Stay Put- Reddish Goga Kevin Porter Jr Carson Edwards 

At 8 give me any of the 3 in Culver, Hunter, or Reddish whichever one falls to us.  At 10 im taking Bol Bol for sure if he is there and if he is gone then im taking Sekou, Clarke, and Hayes in that order i think.  Although im interested in trying to come out of the draft with 2 of that 1st group.  Seeing if i can trade 10 and 17 for like 5, 6, or 7 if culver or hunter fall to those spots.  Then take whichever falls there and then take Reddish at 8.