est.1981

"The Matt Ryan Rule" according to PFF

127 posts in this topic

I think Ryan's numbers will go down as we will be running a lot more than we have in the past few years. I do think Ryan will be able to be more efficient with the new O-Line (assuming they play up to their draft status)

22 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Well taking weapons, lines, injuries into consideration, I’m fine with people arguing the others. Wilson has had zero help. Nada 

Let’s play a game.  This is for everyone.  List which QB owns which stats since 2016.  These are considered the 5 best QB’s over that period.  Then tell me how Ryan would stack up

A.  14,000, 68%, 26 INT’s, 93 TD’s, 292 YPG

B.  13,200,  65%, 43 INT’s, 91 TD’s, 290 YPG

C.  10,500, 65%, 15 INT’s, 81 TD’s, 253 YPG

D.  13,400, 71%, 28 INT’s, 92 TD’s, 285 YPG

E.  12,500, 68%, 21 INT’s, 89 TD’s, 280 YPG

Vandy likes this

58 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

The Matt Ryan rule:

"If your QB only have wins, then go away. We cant talk to you." So true. Matt have no SB wins or trophies.

Rookie of the Year 2008

NFL MVP 2016

NFL Offensive Player of the Year 2016

Schwarzwald likes this

12 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I think Ryan's numbers will go down as we will be running a lot more than we have in the past few years. I do think Ryan will be able to be more efficient with the new O-Line (assuming they play up to their draft status)

What about Koetter’s past would give you this inclination?  And Ryan really can’t become more efficient.   He is the very definition of efficient

34 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

He is probably referring to 2013 pointing out he still produces with those issues. Roddy was hurt mostly all year, Julio was gone the last 11 games and our #1 WR was Harry Douglas for at least half the season. Line was god awful. Had the 32nd ranked running game. Only bright spot was Tony G.

Prior to the 2013 season, TD purged a lot of the holdovers from Reeves and McKay.   Our 2013 team only had, I think it was four?  players left from when McKay was GM here.   In other words 2013 featured a team almost totally built by TD and Smitty.

We all saw what happened from there....injuries hurt, but our talent was extremely poor on the lines, LB.....

6 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Prior to the 2013 season, TD purged a lot of the holdovers from Reeves and McKay.   Our 2013 team only had, I think it was four?  players left from when McKay was GM here.   In other words 2013 featured a team almost totally built by TD and Smitty.

We all saw what happened from there....injuries hurt, but our talent was extremely poor on the lines, LB.....

Talent was poor due to some pretty bad personnel decisions (draft and cap management) for 4 straight years 2009-2012. Love Julio, but that trade cost contributed to all of that. 

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

What about Koetter’s past would give you this inclination?  And Ryan really can’t become more efficient.   He is the very definition of efficient

More so because of Mularkey's involvement than Koetter. I know Koetter is the official OC but I still think Mularkey will have some say in the offense. I am not saying we will become a heavy run offense or anything I just think we will run more which will obviously lead to his numbers falling slightly.

Also, Theirs always room for efficiency improvements. 2016 was the peak and while he was darn good last year he was not on the 2016 level. He threw 74 more passes in 2018 than in 2016 while having 20 less yards in 2018 than 2016. Always room for improvement unless he was putting out 2016 stats every year lol. 

I would like to see Ryan with around 550-575 attempts. That's about 35 a game. Last year we only had 351 rushing attempts which was 3rd last. Take the 50-75 or so attempts away from the pass game and add to the run game and you have a middle of the pack rushing attempts squad which is about where we should be. Heck as good as Tom Brady is, The Patriots had the 3rd most rushing attempts in the league with 478. 

Again, Not saying we need to be run dominate but we need to have more commitment to the run game.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
Vandy and FalconsIn2012 like this

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

By their own standards though, it's hard to judge Matt vs. somebody like Dak, because Matt has always had at least two top tier offensive threats to play with.

Dak owns the superior line and is not the passer that Matt has become over time, but there are so many variables that make it hard to gauge a pretty good QB's value to their team in a vacuum vs a really good one.

Brees is considered top tier but the Saints have had pretty bad years even with him.

Only the Pats and the Steelers to a lesser extent seem to have a floor of being a Superbowl contender every single year.

That line could of been considered an offensive threat for sure. Dak couldn't do what Matt does even if he did have another weapon. Witten coming back included. 

Dakk is not close to the qb Matt Ryan is, periodtt lol 

32 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

So. 2016? :tiphat: 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Again, one could make a compelling non-homer argument matt’s Been as good or better than any of those 4 over past 3 seasons. 

I know this is gonna sound homer-ish, but I think the only thing Ben has over Matt is size and a slightly better deepball. Brady is in a consistent system and O-line with the greatest HC of all time. I think Matt and Brees are closer then some like to think. However by the numbers, Matt has been just as good as any of these guys and they all have had short comings (except maybe Brady), whether it's O-line play, not enough weapons, or coaching problems. As someone else said, a better standard at THIS point is probably someone like Luck. I really hate how underrated Matt is always seen as.

I'm gonna get flak for this, but no way is Wilson better than Ryan. They've both had protection problems for years, but Ryan has put up better numbers with no real run game either.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite
Vandy, Rhodaric, Geneaut and 2 others like this

57 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

I know this is gonna sound homer-ish, but I think the only thing Ben has over Matt is size and a slightly better deepball. Brady is in a consistent system and O-line with the greatest HC of all time. I think Matt and Brees are closer then some like to think. However by the numbers, Matt has been just as good as any of these guys and they all have had short comings (except maybe Brady), whether it's O-line play, not enough weapons, or coaching problems. As someone else said, a better standard at THIS point is probably someone like Luck. I really hate how underrated Matt is always seen as.

I'm gonna get flak for this, but no way is Wilson better than Ryan. They've both had protection problems for years, but Ryan has put up better numbers with no real run game either.

I agree Boomer. Unfortunately, until he gets that ring, he’ll always be disrespected by mainstream media. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Let’s play a game.  This is for everyone.  List which QB owns which stats since 2016.  These are considered the 5 best QB’s over that period.  Then tell me how Ryan would stack up

A.  14,000, 68%, 26 INT’s, 93 TD’s, 292 YPG

B.  13,200,  65%, 43 INT’s, 91 TD’s, 290 YPG

C.  10,500, 65%, 15 INT’s, 81 TD’s, 253 YPG

D.  13,400, 71%, 28 INT’s, 92 TD’s, 285 YPG

E.  12,500, 68%, 21 INT’s, 89 TD’s, 280 YPG

Since nobody is playing:

A. Ryan

B. Big Ben

C. A-Rod

D. Brees

E. Brady

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Mahomes. Wentz. Luck

1st year wonder - see kaepernick

Wentz did what last year?

Luck has to prove he can stay healthy 

the 3 above are great but it’s too early to make the call 

Schwarzwald likes this

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Mahomes. Wentz. Luck

Wentz and Luck are the best QBs at being injured. No doubt about it.

They make Michael Vick look like an iron man.

Mahomes has the makings of something special but needs to do it for more than 1 year. Baker Mayfield is another one that could be godly.

Vandy and Schwarzwald like this

3 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

More so because of Mularkey's involvement than Koetter. I know Koetter is the official OC but I still think Mularkey will have some say in the offense. I am not saying we will become a heavy run offense or anything I just think we will run more which will obviously lead to his numbers falling slightly.

Also, Theirs always room for efficiency improvements. 2016 was the peak and while he was darn good last year he was not on the 2016 level. He threw 74 more passes in 2018 than in 2016 while having 20 less yards in 2018 than 2016. Always room for improvement unless he was putting out 2016 stats every year lol. 

I would like to see Ryan with around 550-575 attempts. That's about 35 a game. Last year we only had 351 rushing attempts which was 3rd last. Take the 50-75 or so attempts away from the pass game and add to the run game and you have a middle of the pack rushing attempts squad which is about where we should be. Heck as good as Tom Brady is, The Patriots had the 3rd most rushing attempts in the league with 478. 

Again, Not saying we need to be run dominate but we need to have more commitment to the run game.

Good post.

Actually, running more effectively should make Ryan’s passing numbers even more impressive (the ones that really matter). 

1 hour ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Ryan has had bad lines, but Wilson has had historically bad lines. Wilson had no run game after Lynch. Wilson’s best receiver has been Doug Baldwin. Doug. Baldwin. 

I love Ryan. Wouldn’t trade him for any QB (even Brady since I think BB is required to get ring-level Brady). 

But to say Wilson wouldn’t put up similar numbers with Julio and our recent OL is insane. 

Vandy and FalconsIn2012 like this

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

Wentz and Luck are the best QBs at being injured. No doubt about it.

They make Michael Vick look like an iron man.

Mahomes has the makings of something special but needs to do it for more than 1 year. Baker Mayfield is another one that could be godly.

I’m thinking he was saying that tongue-in-cheek kidding, especially on wentz/luck. 

PriMeTiiMe likes this

Just now, NeonDeion said:

Ryan has had bad lines, but Wilson has had historically bad lines. Wilson had no run game after Lynch. Wilson’s best receiver has been Doug Baldwin. Doug. Baldwin. 

I love Ryan. Wouldn’t trade him for any QB (even Brady since I think BB is required to get ring-level Brady). 

But to say Wilson wouldn’t put up similar numbers with Julio and our recent OL is insane. 

100% agree. The Wilson that was carried by the Seahawks defense and run game in 2012-2014 is not the same Wilson playing today. 

NeonDeion likes this