Braves calling up Austin Riley

Unknøwn

1 hour ago, JDFIII said:

I am excited to see him get 300 abs this year. Our core is beginning to get here, buckle up. Could be bumpy, but, very promising future. Where do you think he hits in the lineup?

I'm betting his 7 or 8 at the beginning. I think he eventually ends up at 5 behind Donaldson.

Acuna, Swanson, Freeman, Donaldson, Riley, Albies, Markakis, McCann/Flowers. That's a **** of a lineup. 

1 hour ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

With this probably not ending Inciarte's season, this likely won't be a permanent call up for Riley, but I do hope he absolutely destroys the ball up here. 

If hes really impressive I could see them moving Joyce and keeping Riley. I'd hate to see Joyce go but if Riley just goes off you cant send him back. Duvall would be waiting at AAA if they really needed another pure OF for some reason.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

If hes really impressive I could see them moving Joyce and keeping Riley. I'd hate to see Joyce go but if Riley just goes off you cant send him back. Duvall would be waiting at AAA if they really needed another pure OF for some reason.

The problem with that is that he won't get regular at bats that way - and I bet that is what management would prefer. 

51 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

The problem with that is that he won't get regular at bats that way - and I bet that is what management would prefer. 

I would agree with that but I'm sure we'll get a look at him in LF. If he proves to be a capable defender I could see him getting pretty regular ABs. That's a big if right now since his experience there is minimal. Would slide Ender into defensive replacement and 4th OF if it happened that way.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

If Riley keeps hitting like he did in the minors then it would be difficult to take him out of the lineup (much less send him back to the minors) once Inciarte comes off the DL. I don't think Inciarte has enough service time to reject a demotion to the minors, so it's possible that Inciarte could join Duvall at Gwinnett.

8 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

If Riley keeps hitting like he did in the minors then it would be difficult to take him out of the lineup (much less send him back to the minors) once Inciarte comes off the DL. I don't think Inciarte has enough service time to reject a demotion to the minors, so it's possible that Inciarte could join Duvall at Gwinnett.

I dont see that happening. His defense is too valuable as a strategic replacement late in games. Hes also making almost $6M. That's a big check for a AAA guy.

29 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I dont see that happening. His defense is too valuable as a strategic replacement late in games. Hes also making almost $6M. That's a big check for a AAA guy.

We'll trade Inciarte for pitching if it comes to that.

3 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I think Ender will end up on the bench. Ender isn't a starting player. He's never been a good enough hitter to be a starting player. His best role is suited for pinch-runner and late game defensive replacement.

25 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think Ender will end up on the bench. Ender isn't a starting player. He's never been a good enough hitter to be a starting player. His best role is suited for pinch-runner and late game defensive replacement.

If he hits like he does in the second half he certainly a good enough hitter to be an every day starting player.

He just needs to find tbat hapoy middle between the raking second half Ender and the struggling first half Ender

12 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Riley will be in uniform for game two vs the Cards. Ender is going to the IL with a strained lower back. Ender was forced to leave early last night when he felt discomfort in his back. Hes getting further evaluation. 

This seems like a lovely time to point out that Keith Law and others felt that we overdrafted Riley, whom they viewed as a better pitching prospect. Back then, people doubted whether Riley would ever have the bat speed to catch up to fastballs.

47 minutes ago, jidady said:

This seems like a lovely time to point out that Keith Law and others felt that we overdrafted Riley, whom they viewed as a better pitching prospect. Back then, people doubted whether Riley would ever have the bat speed to catch up to fastballs.

They also questioned if he would ever play decent enough defense to be an everyday player.

4 hours ago, jidady said:

Pertinent time to say that Keith Law and his opinions are highly overrated.

If Acuna goes down right now, who do we play in CF? Lein? That is my biggest concern currently. I love having Riley up, and I want him to stay. I am not sure how the team construction can work with that right now. We have to make a trade at some point to keep his bat in the lineup.