Solar and Wind

Wokezone

Trump says wind mills cause cancer. :doh:  Years ago I grew up in a home using a solar system. Plenty of hot water when the sun shines. Two or three days of cloud cover and you have no hot water. Maybe modern systems have a backup heater under those conditions which would be helpful. 

On 5/15/2019 at 8:12 AM, WhenFalconsWin said:

You grew up in a home using solar??? You're older than dirt, they didn't even have fossil fuel when you were growing up Dinosaur Bob...they hadn't died yet to have fossils :lol:

My parents were ahead of the game or else couldn't afford higher electric bills. :shrug: I can remember it wasn't very sophisticated. It's internal plumbing was galvanized pipe and covered with nothing but plate glass. But it worked like a champ. We had a small manual lite water heater for the cloudy days as backup.

21 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

What did your dad do for a living? My dad grew up using an out house for 10 kids...imagine that?

He owned a 3 man window repair company in Miami Beach. South Fla salty air froze up window cranks on old casement windows. He used 'marvel mystery oil' and in a few minutes the cranks worked like new. It's still on store shelves today and works wonders on all sorts of lubrication issues. Except . . . .  well, you know where I was going with this.   :ninja:

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I never was a fan of casement windows. My lake house has them and I plan on changing them out for double pane vinyl screened sliders, like my house has in Fairfax.

p.s. yes, I went around oiling all of them, they work much better now.

I researched Marvel Mystery Oil and it's recommended to add to fuel systems and crankcases for long term super lubrication.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, Big_Dog said:

I researched Marvel Mystery Oil and it's recommended to add to fuel systems and crankcases for long term super lubrication.

My dad swears by the stuff flor cleaning cylinders when rebuilding engines. 

3 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I installed solar  a few months after closing. Legit. But, I'm in AZ where it's sunny 98% of the time...

I wish the government would do tax incentives to promote solar on homes or even solar roofs like Tesla's solar roof.  We've subsidized oil enough imo we can share those subsidies out to homeowners willing to alleviate strain on the grid and produce clean energy on their home.

8 hours ago, T-Falcon said:

I wish the government would do tax incentives to promote solar on homes or even solar roofs like Tesla's solar roof.  We've subsidized oil enough imo we can share those subsidies out to homeowners willing to alleviate strain on the grid and produce clean energy on their home.

They do. I got $1k from the state and about $7k from the feds.

Just now, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

They do. I got $1k from the state and about $7k from the feds.

Nice I didnt know that. Looks like I'll have to check on that. Just purchased a new home. My insulation is maxed out to require less energy to heat and cool. A solar/ wind hybrid might be a good investment to lower my energy needs even more.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:28 PM, T-Falcon said:

Does anyone run either of these 2 systems in your home and if so what are your thoughts? Im pretty pro clean energy and the fact that they could reduce my electric bill is only more of a bonus.

Not me, but I know a guy back home in Georgia that has solar panels on his house AND his yard is big enough that he has a  geothermal heat pump installed..........in his back yard!!!