Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

NBA Draft 2019: Hawks would reportedly pass on Ja Morant at No. 2 overall, may target Jarrett Culver

37 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

None of those options work in the NBA. If he sits out for a season, he could easily wind up with the same team next year (or worse) and all he accomplished would be losing a year of service and millions of dollars. I'm not saying he wouldn't do that but it makes no logical sense. I can see the Pels calling his bluff.

Agreed and ESPN definitely using this as click bait for sure!  I can’t see Zion going back to Duke.

JayOzOne likes this

46 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

It would even be funnier if he did and NOP got the 1st pick again next year :lol:.

This is ESPN pushing a narrative! They all had it lined up for Zion to NYK or LAL.

ESPN straight attention whoring lol! 

jayu70 likes this

I legitimately forgot that he hasn’t been drafted by New Orleans yet lol It’s so guaranteed that I didn’t even think about the fact he can pull his name out from the draft all together lol 

Wow, I wonder if he’d consider it and do this all over again next year 

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

None of those options work in the NBA. If he sits out for a season, he could easily wind up with the same team next year (or worse) and all he accomplished would be losing a year of service and millions of dollars. I'm not saying he wouldn't do that but it makes no logical sense. I can see the Pels calling his bluff.

For the record, it's not him. It's others suggesting what he -could- do. He just hasn't an agent, which is true of about a third of the players right now.

JayOzOne likes this

"Sources: Grizz make it known they'd pick Morant"

Boy, they must be sure that Zion is turning pro. Otherwise, they just told New Orleans or anyone willing to trade up to #1 what their plans are.

12 hours ago, jidady said:

For the record, it's not him. It's others suggesting what he -could- do. He just hasn't an agent, which is true of about a third of the players right now.

Yeah, I was actually referring to the media speculation than the young man's intentions. Just more chatter to fill out their talk shows because they can't find something substantive to discuss.

Stepdad: Zion's excited to play for Pelicans

Zion Williamson's stepfather says the Duke star is cool with playing for the New Orleans Pelicans if, as expected, they take him with the first pick in June's NBA draft.

"We're excited [about coming to New Orleans]," Lee Anderson told the "Off the Bench" radio show on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge on Thursday. "We're excited about that."

Anderson answered questions about his stepson's intentions after speculation that Williamson might not want to go to New Orleans, a franchise in flux after star Anthony Davis requested a trade last season.

Although Williamson has not signed with an agent or worked out a shoe deal and could theoretically return for a second year at Duke, the 18-year-old has not publicly even hinted at spurning the draft. In fact, he has said that while he loves Duke, he feels he has to take the next step and leave.

"And you said about returning to Duke ... there has been a lot of speculation, but that is nothing that we have even considered," Anderson said.

Williamson and his family have been in contact with the Pelicans and are planning the next steps with the team.

"I spoke with Coach [Alvin] Gentry the other night [Tuesday] and we met with [vice president of basketball operations] Mr. Griffin, David Griffin, and then I spoke with him again last night [Wednesday]," Anderson said. "We had a great conversation and we're excited about the prospects of coming down there and getting settled and looking for a place to stay and all of these good things."

The Knicks, Cavaliers and Hawks had the best chances to win the NBA draft lottery Tuesday at 14 percent each. But the Pelicans turned their 6 percent chance into the top pick. Many saw Williamson and the Big Apple as a natural fit.

"One thing that Zion has always been taught, you accept the things you can't change, you change the things that you can change, and this is one of the things that he had nothing to do with," Anderson said. "It's the process of the NBA."

Amid the tumult around Davis, the Pelicans went 33-49 last season and missed the playoffs. They were coming off a 48-34 campaign and a loss in the Western Conference semifinals, so high hopes went down the drain. And the Davis saga has still not been resolved. But New Orleans now has the prospect of adding the college player of the year to entice him to stay.

Anderson was asked if Williamson's decision not to sign with an agent or ink a shoe deal meant that the family was leaving open the possibility of a return to school.

"We just feel that there's no real rush to do this right now," he told the radio show. "You don't get many opportunities in life to have the leverage and the opportunity to control your own narrative, so therefore we feel like we are in position right now to do that, and we just want to make sure when we do whatever it is that we do, it's the right decision. ... We just want to make sure we do it right."

Williamson appears to be close to his stepfather, posting a Father's Day message on Instagram last June thanking Anderson for being "there for me since I was 4, teaching me the game I love and showing me how to be a man."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26761144/stepdad-zion-excited-play-pelicans

jayu70, blkbigdog35 and jidady like this

On 5/14/2019 at 7:50 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If we land in the two spot i'd take Ja. Even with Tre on the roster. Together they would be a force the league would struggle to defend. Plus we have a need for a back up PG. We could keep a beast PG on the floor the entire game. Plus double dip em for 5-10 minutes a game and really cause some problems. The Hawks probably wouldn't take Ja and would either trade down, or take somebody like Barrett, Hunter or Culver if they stayed in the two spot. I wouldn't.

OKC makes it work with Westbrook and Schroeder starting together at times. Morant obviously should be a starting point guard somewhere but just for conversation sake,  you could pair Morant with Young with both STARTING with Morant being the shooting guard and sliding Huerter over to the 3.  It would work BETTER than what OKC has because Young is obviously a waaaaay better shooter than what OKC has.  Morant would attack the rim like Westbrook and Schroeder and with his passing ability could kick out to Young or the wings...

Edited by slickgadawg
FalconFanSince1970 likes this

4 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

OKC makes it work with Westbrook and Schroeder starting together at times. Morant obviously should be a starting point guard somewhere but just for conversation sake,  you could pair Morant with Young with both STARTING with Morant being the shooting guard and sliding Huerter over to the 3.  It would work BETTER than what OKC has because Young is obviously a waaaaay better shooter than what OKC has.  Morant would attack the rim like Westbrook and Schroeder and with his passing ability could kick out to Young or the wings...

I think Huerter is best at SG, it'll make us on the small side at 1, 2 and 3.

The other concern for me is taking the ball out of Trae's hands too much especially since he hasn't shown much ability playing off ball in his 1st season.

I hope this is something Trae adds to his game this Summer, moving without the ball.

slickgadawg likes this

16 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I think Huerter is best at SG, it'll make us on the small side at 1, 2 and 3.

The other concern for me is taking the ball out of Trae's hands too much especially since he hasn't shown much ability playing off ball in his 1st season.

I hope this is something Trae adds to his game this Summer, moving without the ball.

Prince and Huerter are the same size.  Taller than Vince Carter. You would be surprised at how tall that dude is.  Playing Huerter at the 3 is NOOO problem.  He is a 2 guard because he is that good but can play the 3.  You have a good point about taking the ball out of Trae's hands but Morant is soo good that you draft him to trade him and if you don't get enough in return then you make it work on your roster...

Image result for vince carter and kevin huerter

Edited by slickgadawg

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

Prince and Huerter are the same size.  Taller than Vince Carter. You would be surprised at how big that dude is.  Pl aying Huerter at the 3 is NOOO problem.  He is a 2 guard because he is that good but can play the 3.  You have a good point about taking the ball out of Trae's hands but Morant is soo good that if you draft him to trade him and if you don't get enough in return then you make it work on your roster...

Image result for vince carter and kevin huerter

Kuerter:6'-7" 190lbs

Prince: 6'-8" 220lbs

Then you consider Kevin's  less than ideal wingspan which was a knock on him and why he fell in draft.

Yes he can play the 3 but he'll get beat up.

Morant is going to the Grizz though.

Yeah, Memphis is drafting Morant, so it's not a conversation anyway. On top of being a stud, he played college ball 150 miles from Memphis. It's a dream fit for them in terms of marketing and on-court performance. I understand why they just came out and said it. He'll sell tickets right from the start.

If we move up, the highest we can get is #3...and even that is extremely unlikely. The perception is that the talent pool drops after Barrett. I doubt the Knicks would move out of that spot.

Since the Lakers wouldn't want two more kids with LeBron, we're not even in the conversation until #5. The only way that changes is if the Lakers or Knicks trade their pick in a package for a superstar. At that point, the #3 or #4 might come back into play.

The only caveat to all of this is what happened in 2017 when the team picking #1 overall didn't want the surefire #1 overall pick...and they turned out to be right about it.