Will losing Andy Levitre hurt our offensive line?

I'm still curious to see if they will really START Lindstrom and McGary on the right side.

I see a better pass blocker at LG in Lindstrom and a better run blocker for RG in Brown.

What am I missing? Needing a better pass blocker to help the rookie RT or Ty???

:huh:

I feel like RG is the easiest spot on the OL. Run block expert and RT gets help from TEs or chips from the back if he needs it. RG needs to help us be that run oriented and play action team.

LG needs to sure up the interior pocket and let Mack help the RIGHT side, IMO. Levitre was a BOSS pass blocker; although the PFF tweet gave him love as a run blocker his best attribute, IMO...was clearly his pass blocking. He just did the run blocker aspect really well for a ZBS. To me, Lindstrom can come in an be Levitre by end of the season at minimum. I think Andy should be his floor.

Depends on who out of the 3 OGs starts...could wind up with the Storm at either spot, IMO. That's really what I'm getting at. 

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

It seems some on this thread are misinterpreting honest, detailed analysis into different players strengths and weaknesses as they relate to our OG position, and player hating. 

Levitre was a very good high quality LG for us when healthy. No one is disputing that.  Levitre, Carpenter and Brown each have strengths and weaknesses.  The question was whether Levitres replacements will be an overall improvement or a setback to our offense from 2016. In order to discuss that, you have to break down each players strengths and weaknesses and apply them to situationally football.

I’m honestly puzzled this is triggering people.  

I think it’s a great question, will the 2019 OL be better than the 2016 OL which was so far the best one Ryan played behind. We have to break down each player from position from 2016 to 2019 to discuss.

I understand, I just find it odd that your argument for why our OLine could improve revolves around our new players having strengths that our scheme explicitly tries to mitigate the need for.

Assuming you're correct about them being stronger, that may help on the minority of plays where we aren't running zone or working off moving pockets or playaction, but the majority of our offense revolves around plays that require more athleticism than strength. That's how the rest of our OLine is set up: if we start running more power plays that will hurt those players' performances. 

I'm not saying these players won't be good, but I'm not sure your argument works as well as you think it does if you follow it to its conclusion.

12 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I'm still curious to see if they will really START Lindstrom and McGary on the right side.

I see a better pass blocker at LG in Lindstrom and a better run blocker for RG in Brown.

What am I missing? Needing a better pass blocker to help the rookie RT or Ty???

:huh:

I feel like RG is the easiest spot on the OL. Run block expert and RT gets help from TEs or chips from the back if he needs it. RG needs to help us be that run oriented and play action team.

LG needs to sure up the interior pocket and let Mack help the RIGHT side, IMO. Levitre was a BOSS pass blocker; although the PFF tweet gave him love as a run blocker his best attribute, IMO...was clearly his pass blocking. He just did the run blocker aspect really well for a ZBS. To me, Lindstrom can come in an be Levitre by end of the season at minimum. I think Andy should be his floor.

Depends on who out of the 3 OGs starts...could wind up with the Storm at either spot, IMO. That's really what I'm getting at. 

2-Year Grades of Falcons' Guards
Brandon Fusco - 67.2
Wes Schweitzer - 63.9
Jamon Brown - 60.1
James Carpenter - 57.9

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

2-Year Grades of Falcons' Guards
Brandon Fusco - 67.2
Wes Schweitzer - 63.9
Jamon Brown - 60.1
James Carpenter - 57.9

1: Fusco didn't really play for us much. Wes has taken a while to stick.

2: I'd rather see grades within a unit not random guys from different lines. On top of that, give me the eye test. However, if you rely on grades primarily then no wonder we draft the best OG in the draft? ;)

Therefore, maybe the answer is The Storm starting one spot and Wes/Brown/Carp at the remaining spot.

It'll be fun to have both Brown and Carp backing up according to the grades tho... :tiphat:

Nah, Wes is gonna be a backup. :ninja: :lol:

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Carp and Brown backups ROFL

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

1: Fusco didn't really play for us much. Wes has taken a while to stick.

2: I'd rather see grades within a unit not random guys from different lines. On top of that, give me the eye test. However, if you rely on grades primarily then no wonder we draft the best OG in the draft? ;)

Therefore, maybe the answer is The Storm starting one spot and Wes/Brown/Carp at the remaining spot.

It'll be fun to have both Brown and Wes backing up according to the grades tho... :tiphat:

Nah, Wes is gonna be a backup. :ninja: :lol:

Touché 

I actually find it quite funny how people can isolate a good or a bad guy in a group as for the most part it’s how the group is working as a whole that dictates how good or bad an individual really is.

I suspect highlights and PFF are at play here.

Media especially will point a guys fault but won’t point out the things going on around him that may cause this fault.

Just like in 2016 the board isolated Chester in this group but again when it really mattered who tripped up for the Falcons I’ll give you a clue it wasn’t the supposed weakness in Chester.

If anyone here believes the then 33 year old highly diminished strength of the 303lbs Chester or the the 303lb  6’2” 31 year old Levitre in 2016, on 3rd and 15,  over a full season could anchor and hold a pass protection pocket against some of the more powerful bull rushing DTs , or be able to blow defenders off the LOS in 3rd and goal at the 1 yard line, just as well as the 26 year old 6’4”,  340lb Jamon Brown can, I have some swampland in Florida I’d like to sell you at a real bargain!

Whether you want to admit it or not, these are two lingering problems this team has had since implementing the zone blocking scheme. We’ve been subpar running the ball in short yardage situations and down near goalline,  and been terribly inconsistent holding a good pocket for Ryan to step up into in passing situations and TD and Blank have not just admitted this, but they signed bigger OL to remedy it.

You won’t be seeing the 2019 OL getting pushed around, manhandled  and blown off the ball in certain game situations as in previous years. We now will be able to win the LOS battle more often than not. We’ve gotten younger, nastier, bigger and stronger. THANK GOD

55 minutes ago, gazoo said:

If anyone here believes the then 33 year old highly diminished strength of the 303lbs Chester or the the 303lb  6’2” 31 year old Levitre in 2016, on 3rd and 15,  over a full season could anchor and hold a pass protection pocket against some of the more powerful bull rushing DTs , or be able to blow defenders off the LOS in 3rd and goal at the 1 yard line, just as well as the 26 year old 6’4”,  340lb Jamon Brown can, I have some swampland in Florida I’d like to sell you at a real bargain!

Whether you want to admit it or not, these are two lingering problems this team has had since implementing the zone blocking scheme. We’ve been subpar running the ball in short yardage situations and down near goalline,  and been terribly inconsistent holding a good pocket for Ryan to step up into in passing situations and TD and Blank have not just admitted this, but they signed bigger OL to remedy it.

You won’t be seeing the 2019 OL getting pushed around, manhandled  and blown off the ball as in previous years. We now will be able to win the LOS battle more often than not. We’ve gotten younger, nastier, bigger and stronger. THANK GOD

Well said, throughout the thread, I might add. We've needed to get bigger and stronger on the OL and it's been very obvious. This is vital, because if you can't win the LOS on offense it doesn't matter what scheme you're trying to run. The trenches transcend scheme and always will.