Will losing Andy Levitre hurt our offensive line?

Nah. Think the FO already foresaw something like this happening and that's one of the reasons they went out and signed Carpenter and Brown which IMO is a pretty good upgrade.

Plus i believe both Linestorm and McGary will get PLENTY of game time, and if they can start to come on even a little midway through the season (hopeful) I can see us having a really good line barring injury.

He wasn't under contract any longer after last season & on top of it his shoulder is toast.

Pretty sure he's not retiring because he wants to, but rather because his shoulder is so bad he's being forced into retirement.

With that in mind, he would not have even been an option as depth.

So unless you have a time machine to 3 years ago when he was still healthy enough to play, losing him should not have much effect at all on this team moving forward.

He's retired so he is not an option.

Given no one wanted to sign him, if the team thought he could play, they could have got him very cheap as a back up. Obviously they thought bringing in Brown and Carpenter made more sense.

I think between those two and Lindstrom, we won't be thinking at some stage "I wish Levitre was still here".

As others have discussed...Pretty much 2017 and 2018 years saw our offense bottom out each time after he got hurt.

So, we've already lost him 2 years in a row and it hurt our OL.

Therefore, this is why we got 3 OGs since we had to let him walk.

Hopefully, this will ensure both his departure at LG and the RG situation post-Wes failure are fixed 100%; as Andy wasn't going to be re-signed and Fusco had that nasty ankle injury/got released after we secured enough OG talent.

Thankfully, we won't be factoring in Wes as a starter candidate again. :tiphat:

Edited by Ergo Proxy

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you think Andy Levitre retiring will hurt our offensive line? It would have been nice to get another year or 2 out of him as a backup while our new guys and free agents adjust. Perhaps he would have gotten cut anyways. Your thoughts?

Here is the thing with LG  Levitre. He was able to play at a high level for our zone blocking scheme, especially  in 2016 when we had  Shanny calling the plays. But he had limitations.

He had great vision, was smart, functional strength, could get out and block at second level, quick off the ball.  

But when defenses knew what we were going to do, in short yardage, goal line, and 3rd and long, Levitre was below average. He was only 6’2” , 303lbs which is smallish for a LG, had  marginal upper body strength, short arms, not a lot of pop, wasn’t going to push anyone around or blow them off the ball. 

Im really glad we signed a couple of much larger veteran  OGs, one of which will start at LG this year.  Carpenter is 6’5” and 321lbs, but Jamon Brown is more likely to start at LG and he is 6’4” and 340lbs.

On the other side in 2016, we had the 6’3” 303lb Chris Chester playing RG, but Chester was 33 years old and had lost a lot of his strength, which was only average even in his prime.  

In 2018, we have RG  Chris Lindstrom is 6’4” and 308lbs, but he is strong and has a ton of pop. He had the explosive strength to push defenders around at times, and to hold his ground. 

In short, at LG we may lose a little mobility and second level run blocking, but we gain in strength, short yardage and being able to hold a pocket against bull rushers. At RG we got a whole lot better, way better than 33 year old Chester.

The mans 2019 OL will probably be the best OL Ryan has ever had. Wildcard will be RT. 

4 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Yes Levitre was a good run blocker but you’ll be be surprised how well Brown and LIndstrom will be. 

Levitre was a top 10 Guard for 3 years.  Lindstrom may get there in a year or two...Brown would have to become a completely different player to reach top -10.  Not saying it won’t happen, but it seems unlikely

24 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Here is the thing with LG  Levitre. He was able to play at a high level for our zone blocking scheme, especially  in 2016 when we had  Shanny calling the plays. But he had limitations.

He had great vision, was smart, functional strength, could get out and block at second level, quick off the ball.  

But when defenses knew what we were going to do, in short yardage, goal line, and 3rd and long, he was below average. He was only 6’2” , 303lbs which is smallish for a LG, had  marginal upper body strength, short arms, not a lot of pop, wasn’t going to push anyone around or blow them off the ball. 

Im really glad we signed a couple of much larger veteran  OGs, one of which will start at LG this year.  Carpenter is 6’5” and 321lbs, but Jamon Brown is more likely to start at LG and he is 6’4” and 340lbs.

On the other side in 2016, we had the 6’3” 303lb Chris Chester playing RG, but Chester was 33 years old and had lost a lot of his strength, which was only average even in his prime.  

In 2018, we have RG  Chris Lindstrom is 6’4” and 308lbs, but he is strong and has a ton of pop. He had the explosive strength to push defenders around at times, and to hold his ground. 

In short, at LG we may lose a little mobility and second level run blocking, but we gain in strength, short yardage and being able to hold a pocket against bull rushers. At RG we got a whole lot better, way better than 33 year old Chester.

The mans 2019 OL will probably be the best OL Ryan has ever had. Wildcard will be RT. 

I don’t buy the narrative that Levitre struggled in short yardage situations.  I think it had more to do with Sark than anything else.  Here is a perfect example:

The Falcons ran the football while trailing 7-3 late in the second quarter on first-and-goal from the one-yard line against the Bills two weeks ago.

Yep, in a short-yardage situation, running back Devonta Freeman took a handoff from Matt Ryan and got in behind left guard Andy Levitre and center Alex Mack and scored a touchdown.

Later in the Bills game and early against the Dolphins last week, the Falcons made questionable calls similar situations. They passed on third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 against the Bills. On third-and-1 against the Dolphins, they called a toss sweep.

Failure to run in short-yardage situations was one of the lessons from their Super Bowl loss. Run the ball on third-and-1 and you’re champions. The Falcons still haven’t committed five games into the season.  

So, we asked Levitre and Mack if they wanted to run the ball in those short-yardage situations.

“It doesn’t matter to me,” Levitre said. “I trust the guys that we have on this team. I trust the coaching staff that whatever they are calling, they are putting us in the best position. We have the guys who can execute it. It doesn’t matter to me.”

But running from one-yard out worked early in the Buffalo game. Do it more, right?

“Yeah, that’s what everybody wants to see, but if you’re thinking it, that’s probably what the defense is thinking,” Levitre said. “It’s just about execution.”

Mack, before the bye week, didn’t want to delve into the sticky area of play-calling either.

“We almost ran it (late against Buffalo), there was a check if they come out in something that was advantageous to us or we could have run it,” Mack said. “I think the best thing to do is have confidence in your play caller and do what you’re told. That sounds so bad, but it’s not my job to question the call. 

“I’ve given that up way back in college. This is what they do. This is the chess game that coaches play. I let them do that. 

“It makes my job real easy to not second guess. You just get behind the play and do it the best that you can and focus on what’s important and not worry about anything else.”

Levitre basically wasn’t here for 2 years. We’ll be upgraded with whatever OGs we roll with than the sketchy backups that couldn’t hold a candle to Andy.

RG will be better and LG will eventually catch up. Andy was good at everything in our ZBS to pass protection. Not all pro but could’ve made PB for us in 2016.

I'm not an x-and-o guy when it comes to line play, but I know this much: our line is going to be much better than it has been for the past few years, and with our offensive weapons, that's probably going to make a huge difference.  I like the guy but have a hard time thinking his absence will have any effect.

What made Levitre good in run blocking was not his ability to blow defenders off the LOS, because he didn’t have that ability. It was his quickness off the ball and ability to get to the second level and make blocks using his excellent vision. 

He had very little pop off the ball, marginal upper body strength and but he was extremely effective the way Shanny was using him.