Tim Mazetti

“looking for a big back for years, but the search has not always been fruitful.” TD

97 posts in this topic

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/5/13/18617920/qadree-ollison-good-guy-and-big-back-has-an-early-leg-up-on-the-competition

Qadree Ollison, good guy and big back, has an early leg up on the competition

Things don’t look great for Brian Hill.

By Dave Choate May 13, 2019, 12:40pm EDT

There have now been multiple profiles written by local media about Qadree Ollison, and they’ve served to reveal that the Falcons drafted a man with grace and wisdom to spare. There are few of us, I’d wager, who could live through his brother being murdered, be a rock for his family, and still find the focus and energy to be a **** of a football player. I’ve come away from learning more about Ollison with a deep appreciation for who he is as a person, especially after Jeff Schultz at The Athletic’s piece.

 

 

 

The Falcons have committed, as much as is possible, to adding high-character players into the locker room. That approach hasn’t always worked out and it hasn’t always translated on the field, but it’s a cultural and organizational decision that’s difficult to argue with. Ollison is the latest (and perhaps most powerful) example of a team liking what a player brings to to the roster and prizing the mettle and decency of the man, too.

Buried deep in this profile (which you need to read, along with Vaughn McClure’s piece on Ollison) is an on-the-field reason to feel good about Ollison’s fortunes in Atlanta. In summary:

Qadree Ollison is 6-foot-1 and 232 pounds, strong and athletic. Both of his parents played college basketball. Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said he has been “looking for a big back for years, but the search has not always been fruitful.”

There’s a lot to unpack in that very casual statement from Dimitroff. The Falcons have a big back they took in the fifth round a couple of years back in Brian Hill, who was poached off the practice squad by the Bengals before returning and getting some late season run in 2018. Hill is not as large or in charge as Ollison, but he has power and some blocking acumen, so Dimitroff’s statement is a very bad sign for his chances of making the roster as anything but a fullback. The Falcons have largely tried to unearth bigger backs outside of the draft in recent years otherwise, with Terron Ward serving as the de facto option for about three seasons before the team unceremoniously moved on.

Ollison served as a personal protector on punt returns at Pitt, showed power and surprised speed in college, and has drawn inevitable comparison to Michael Turner. The Falcons are clearly thrilled they snagged him, so I think you can put this one down in pen: Ollison will be the #3 back in this offense at worst when the season opens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

 

Ollison served as a personal protector on punt returns at Pitt, showed power and surprised speed in college, and has drawn inevitable comparison to Michael Turner. The Falcons are clearly thrilled they snagged him, so I think you can put this one down in pen: Ollison will be the #2 back in this offense at worst when the season opens.

FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing is really been said about Ito, other than he will be ready, but they have been gushing about how Freeman is coming along and how his off-season is going. Makes me wonder if they really know anything about Ito yet. No worries though, Free should be way ahead of him, he's had longer to heal and get back to full work outs. Wouldn't surprise me if they bring Ito along slower and it's Freeman/Ollison to start the season.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Ito/Ollison 2020

I would be cool with this... Keep in mind there is job Freeman. If he can’t redeem himself I’m cool letting him go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish that Brian Hill had panned out.  He had size, strength, and speed.  Too bad he did not have the talent.  

Ready to move on from Hill, and looking forward to seeing what Ollison can do.  

 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Its Ito's team in 2019, you heard it here first.

Yeah, Ito is a really promising back who shouldn't be overlooked.

CaliFalcons likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Brooks James and Ollison.

/

I think TBJ will sneak up on a lot of people. I am most excited about Ollison though as we have lacked a goal line back that can punch it in since MT. That is very big for us since we've had redzone issues as of late. Imagine the PA off that and throws we can have to JJ, AH, and CR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Let's see him in action before anointing him the #2 back when the season starts. Cause Ito will have something to say about that

I'm seeing him as more of a short yardage specialist than one of the top 2 rotational guys. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as the short yardage choice right away. I'd like to think we will play well enough on both sides of the ball that he can spend a quarter or so thumping ahead for first downs while breaking the will of our opponents and taking the licks Freeman and #2 would be absorbing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I'm seeing him as more of a short yardage specialist than one of the top 2 rotational guys. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as the short yardage choice right away. I'd like to think we will play well enough on both sides of the ball that he can spend a quarter or so thumping ahead for first downs while breaking the will of our opponents and taking the licks Freeman and #2 would be absorbing. 

I agree because being the #2 back means you can be trusted in blitz pickup. So I want to see how he reacts to that first. I could see him as the #2 back later on in the season though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

I think TBJ will sneak up on a lot of people. I am most excited about Ollison though as we have lacked a goal line back that can punch it in since MT. That is very big for us since we've had redzone issues as of late. Imagine the PA off that and throws we can have to JJ, AH, and CR.

Ollison was on my very short list. I’m very excited about him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Ito/Ollison 2020

Ito is better than some think. I don't think it will be easy to unseat him as the #2 RB.

That being said, if Ollison can produce anywhere near 2008 - 2009 Micheal Turner, we will finally have that nasty "push the pile" bully we've been sorely missing for decade.

Off topic, I'm excited to see what TBJ did to warrant the FO to offer him a contract before actual TC even starts. We might have found some real diamonds in the rough this year lads! Hope it shakes out okay.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, duckhoa said:

I wish that Brian Hill had panned out.  He had size, strength, and speed.  Too bad he did not have the talent.  

Ready to move on from Hill, and looking forward to seeing what Ollison can do.  

 

     Hill is not gone yet.. So we don't know right now.. But with all the talent we have at every position,, I know the best men win.... So be it... That's what we want.. Hill can be a good big back for a team in this league. But the ceiling is set so high for this team  this year.. Hill may not make this team,, but I think he could make another team.  Blank is on a mission this year ,, all out everything on this year.. You know what.. I think it's going to work.. I've always wondered why he didn't do what he is doing this year before.. As I have said in other post already,, Blank is putting in all his chips this year.. I think it's going to work.. Never Ever seen a Falcon team with this much talent in every position on this team like it is now. 

  I made a post about two months ago that I think we will win it all this year,, IF RYAN STAYS HEALTHY.

duckhoa and egoprime II like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

FIFY

They mean the #1 back when Freeman goes down due to a concussion, knee injury, groin injury, stubbs his toe or just sits out wanting another contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

They mean the #1 back when Freeman goes down due to a concussion, knee injury, groin injury, stubbs his toe or just sits out wanting another contract.

You still haven’t accepted that bet I offered. Feel how you feel. Idgaf. But I’m a FIRM believer in the energy you put into the universe comes back so will you PLEASE stop putting injury energy into the gotd@mn universe!!!! To ANY effin player. How bout putting some positive energy into the universe?? Maybe it’ll get us over the hump. We have so many negative fans that your negative comments come into fruition every freakin season. Get positive like NE’s fans. Or NO’s. Maybe our fortune will change. It’s almost like you wish for freeman to get hurt. SHEESH!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, duckhoa said:

I wish that Brian Hill had panned out.  He had size, strength, and speed.  Too bad he did not have the talent.  

Ready to move on from Hill, and looking forward to seeing what Ollison can do.  

 

Hill can still pan out as a FB. I never liked him when we drafted him. He didn’t have it to me when I watched his highlights. And everything I thought came to light as a pro. And it was because the switch to a ZBS has him discombobulated. 

Vandy, Osiruz, PokerSteve and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

You still haven’t accepted that bet I offered. Feel how you feel. Idgaf. But I’m a FIRM believer in the energy you put into the universe comes back so will you PLEASE stop putting injury energy into the gotd@mn universe!!!! To ANY effin player. How bout putting some positive energy into the universe?? Maybe it’ll get us over the hump. We have so many negative fans that your negative comments come into fruition every freakin season. Get positive like NE’s fans. Or NO’s. Maybe our fortune will change. 

Sigh....we try, but can’t teach the unteachable. 

TheFatboi and falcons007 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now