E. T.

Article on Donaldson

19 posts in this topic

Now that article I believe was put out before the game lastnight, but its just another perspective from another sports writer.

That guy is full or it. Josh Donaldson's contract is not the reason the Braves didn't add any bullpen pieces. It's such a load of crap that folks keep saying that.

As of this morning, Donaldson is on pace to hit .258/.376/.477 with 23 home runs and put up a 3.2 fWAR season. That's pretty good.

Falconsfan567 likes this

It certainly is a topic a lot of people have been discussing. Whether it is valid or not is above my pay grade, but it is an interesting perspective.

I agree with Dirty Bird, makes me very interested in seeing what Austin Riley has to bring!

3 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

What in the actual **** was that? I didn’t read past the headline. 

Reads like someone that posts here wrote it.

10 hours ago, K26dp said:

As of this morning, Donaldson is on pace to hit .258/.376/.477 with 23 home runs and put up a 3.2 fWAR season. That's pretty good.

7 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

What in the actual **** was that? I didn’t read past the headline. 

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Reads like someone that posts here wrote it.

I think you guys missed the point if you read it. The writer wasn't taking a shot at Donaldson, he actually loves Donaldson, he was taking a shot at Anthopoulos. 

And, I didn't write this ish….I swear.

1 hour ago, E. T. said:

I think you guys missed the point if you read it. The writer wasn't taking a shot at Donaldson, he actually loves Donaldson, he was taking a shot at Anthopoulos. 

And, I didn't write this ish….I swear.

It still is terrible. He's saying that Josh Donaldson's contract is the reason the Braves didn't sign any bullpen pieces. That's not even remotely in any way true. Braves payroll even with Donaldson on the books is $20M lower than it was last year. $20M is a lot of money to sign bullpen pitchers. He was directly blaming Donaldson's contract on the bullpen being ****. That's just wrong. It's wrong because it's the same narrative that floats around here.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

And if Riley had been there Opening day and was hitting .210 they'd say rushing him was a mistake. 

Exactly!!

And if Riley had been there Opening day and was hitting .210 they'd say rushing him was a mistake. 

Agreed. But the writer talks about Riley not getting the opportunity for some exposure at this level due to the Donaldson signing.

Personally, I feel Riley should have had some exposure last season. If Riley held his own and smashed it, we probably never would have seen Donaldson in a Braves uniform.

Just now, E. T. said:

Agreed. But the writer talks about Riley not getting the opportunity for some exposure at this level due to the Donaldson signing.

Personally, I feel Riley should have had some exposure last season. If Riley held his own and smashed it, we probably never would have seen Donaldson in a Braves uniform.

Riley might have had he not struggled as much as he did last year to adjust to Triple-A pitching.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It still is terrible. He's saying that Josh Donaldson's contract is the reason the Braves didn't sign any bullpen pieces. That's not even remotely in any way true. Braves payroll even with Donaldson on the books is $20M lower than it was last year. $20M is a lot of money to sign bullpen pitchers. He was directly blaming Donaldson's contract on the bullpen being ****. That's just wrong. It's wrong because it's the same narrative that floats around here.

This is where his critique of AA comes in to play. Donaldson is just a mere enigma when you factor everything.

Funny how that works huh?

Falconsfan567 likes this

More than anything, the article demonstrates how much Liberty has brainwashed fans. They cut corners this year, it's destroyed 20% of the season for what could have been an exceptional team, and this pinhead's blaming a dude who is doing his job at a high level. It was never an either/or on Donaldson and the bullpen. We were just cheap and thereby negligent on the latter front. And the worst part is that it was readily apparent during Spring Training yet we still sat on our hands. 

10 hours ago, jidady said:

More than anything, the article demonstrates how much Liberty has brainwashed fans. They cut corners this year, it's destroyed 20% of the season for what could have been an exceptional team, and this pinhead's blaming a dude who is doing his job at a high level. It was never an either/or on Donaldson and the bullpen. We were just cheap and thereby negligent on the latter front. And the worst part is that it was readily apparent during Spring Training yet we still sat on our hands. 

BINGO! Totally agree! There were some points I agreed with in the article concerning Riley...it is what it is. But the main kingpin here is Liberty! And he left that aspect out of the entire article! 

I'm not defending the writer, its his words not mine. I posted this simply for some perspective from everyone.

The entire organization has their hands tied as long as Liberty is calling the shots, and this how I've felt for a long time now. Can't wait until the day we get a true owner! 

Riley was never going to be blocked by Donaldson. I've only been saying for 2 years that Riley was capable of playing OF. That's why I never was against the Donaldson signing. 

And as other have said, the Donaldson's signing isn't the reason the bullpen stinks. Just like Harper's signing isn't the reason the Phillies bullpen stinks, or Corbin's signing is the reason the Nationals bullpen stinks. It stinks because expected contributors are either hurt or have  underperformed.

Falconsfan567 and TheTrue7 like this