FalconsIn2012

What’s The Most Important Positional Unit

142 posts in this topic

Depends on scheme you run. 

Generally secondary and pass rushers can get you to a good D. 

Interior OL can enable a lot on O (create pocket, run Game, etc)

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Question for the board. Assuming your team has a good quarterback, what is the most important unit to dump resources into?

In today’s NFL where nickel is played 70% of the time, my call is the secondary. It’s hard to believe that the New England Patriots have 11 players in their secondary making over $1 million.   That’s staggering

Trenches. A Tie between DL and OL. 

Tim Mazetti and PokerSteve like this

I would have to say the defensive line.  If like you said we have a decent QB, he can mask "some" of the negatives of his blockers.  You can take a fire breathing defensive line anywhere in any condition and you want them harassing the opposing team's offense.  Great D line play improves the play of everyone behind them, LB's to Safety.

9 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Defenseive Line

Outside of QB, Defensive line.

D line stops the run and pressures the passer, making everyone else better (IE LBs, CBs, Safeties).

13 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

They have one highly paid corner and one highly paid safety.

Yeah, their secondary is getting $50,000,000, but it’s spread over 14 guys.  All 11 earning over 1 million have a specific skillset BB must like and he will use them situationally depending on the matchup.  Some wil lol play one week and sit the next 

If CB's are the 2nd most important position group (unit) after QB, then the Falcons have a lot to worry about with a washed-up, overpaid veteran on one side and an inexperienced, uncertain youngster on the other side?

I agree that CB's are important but they are of minimal impact on run plays as opposed to other defensive positions that have significance on all downs (safety, middle linebacker).  Likewise, the main offensive line led by the center usually plays all downs.  

1-QB

2-MLB

3-C (depending on offense might be a G or T instead)

4-SS or FS (depending on defense)

Why is this even a question?

The only possible argument that can be made is whether it's OL or DL. If your answer is anything else, you're wrong.

Between OL & DL, I'd say OL. They can control the clock, and thus the pace of the game, and thereby protect the D as a whole.

I normally hate to be that dismissive other other opinions, but this seems pretty obvious.

Falconsfan567 likes this

3 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

The only possible argument that can be made is whether it's OL or DL. If your answer is anything else, you're wrong.

Between OL & DL, I'd say OL. They can control the clock, and thus the pace of the game, and thereby protect the D as a whole.

I normally hate to be that dismissive other other opinions, but this seems pretty obvious.

There's actually a good bit of debate and research around it right now.  I'm a DL guy myself.

But with the new passing offenses, there is legit debate on DL vs secondary.  The theory is a QB can get the ball out quickly against a good DL.  But he can't do that if his guys are being covered well.

I've always leaned toward the DL side of the argument but have seen some compelling stuff showing if you don't have your secondary down, the quick release QB's will eat you up.

rugger8 and FalconsIn2012 like this

22 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

There's actually a good bit of debate and research around it right now.  I'm a DL guy myself.

But with the new passing offenses, there is legit debate on DL vs secondary.  The theory is a QB can get the ball out quickly against a good DL.  But he can't do that if his guys are being covered well.

I've always leaned toward the DL side of the argument but have seen some compelling stuff showing if you don't have your secondary down, the quick release QB's will eat you up.

I'm in the camp of the closer to where the ball is snapped, the more important the position.

2 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

I'm in the camp of the closer to where the ball is snapped, the more important the position.

I have been too, and still am by bent.

I was yelling to pay to get the best OG's and DT's 10 years ago because they were radically undervalued.  You could have top OG's and DT's for the price of below average OT's and DE's.  That's equalized now.

Was just saying the info seems like it's not as clear as it used to be.  I still love me a game wrecking DT though.

rugger8 likes this

It has to be one of the two lines. You can sort of scheme around a deficit at other positions, but if your lines suck they just suck. 

On another note, DT's are getting super short-changed in this thread. You'd think Falcon fans of all people would know what happens when you have bad DT's. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

37 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

But if he has time to sit in the pocket no defense can cover forever. If the OLine is better than the DLine it moots everything else

Falconsfan567 likes this

54 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

Then why do the Pats spend more on their secondary than their OL & DL combined the last 3 years

Bucky Brooks with NFL.com says:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503855/article/ranking-each-positions-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner

Cameron DaSilva with Fox Sports says:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-position-importance-ranking-value-every-player-053117

Both agree that DE is #2, behind the QB, then LT/OT is #3, with CB/LCB at #4, and WR #5. They have differing opinions on #6.

Our font office seems convinced that OL is the most important unit.....and I agree with them.