FalconsIn2012

What’s The Most Important Positional Unit

142 posts in this topic

Question for the board. Assuming your team has a good quarterback, what is the most important unit to dump resources into?

In today’s NFL where nickel is played 70% of the time, my call is the secondary. It’s hard to believe that the New England Patriots have 11 players in their secondary making over $1 million.   That’s staggering

Not a specific unit, but cornerbacks! Cornerbacks are one of the top positional value and getting a great one can tremendously help a team. On your example pats, who in their secondary is getting paid?...the corners! The pats can survive w/o having a great pass rush but they make up with great corners; they pay their corner, every other position on D usually just gets rotated to the next man up.

6 minutes ago, benxiong said:

Not a specific unit, but cornerbacks! Cornerbacks are one of the top positional value and getting a great one can tremendously help a team. On your example pats, who in their secondary is getting paid?...the corners! The pats can survive w/o having a great pass rush but they make up with great corners; they pay their corner, every other position on D usually just gets rotated to the next man up.

They have one highly paid corner and one highly paid safety.

benxiong likes this

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

Am I the only one that laughed at this choice of topic name? Most important unit?

lol

Jesus man grow up

JK

52 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Question for the board. Assuming your team has a good quarterback, what is the most important unit to dump resources into?

In today’s NFL where nickel is played 70% of the time, my call is the secondary. It’s hard to believe that the New England Patriots have 11 players in their secondary making over $1 million.   That’s staggering

Coming into this draft I thought OL and CB were our biggest needs. Dimi went BPA last year. Went need this year. Two OLs and two CBs. We will see if he hit on this one. Arguably left some BPAs on the board. Let's wait and evaluate this draft after the 2021 season. He may be gone by then. Hopefully. If 2019 was a hit I'll have his back though.

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Coming into this draft I thought OL and CB were our biggest needs. Dimi went BPA last year. Went need this year. Two OLs and two CBs. We will see if he hit on this one. Arguably left some BPAs on the board. Let's wait and evaluate this draft after the 2021 season. He may be gone by then. Hopefully. If 2019 was a hit I'll have his back though.

No, I mean in general.  Which unit on a football team should get the most resources

1) QB

2) Cornerbacks

3) Pass Rushers

4) Offensive Tackles

5) Wide Receivers

Obviously if you have an elite safety like Earl Thomas in his prime, that can switch it up some, but even elite guards and running backs don’t mean that much from a win/loss stand point...they just can’t be a liability.

benxiong likes this

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Defenseive Line

Yep.

However, I will say that if Hageman can step in and be an immediate impact, Senat and Takk take another step forward, and Quinn can work some coaching magic with Beasley, I think the frontline will be a lot better than most think. 

Not expecting much from Cominsky this season, but he might be a diamond in the rough that can be a real help starting next year with some coaching.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite
duckhoa likes this

21 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

No, I mean in general.  Which unit on a football team should get the most resources

OL and CB units could still be a weakness:

• OL - two or three low rated journeymen or rooks starting
  • CB - average LCB, sophomore RCB and first time nickel

All primed to get their ases handed to em. League gotta be lickin their chops.

Flying Falcon and egoprime II like this

Positional UNIT, would have to be OLine easily.

The first thig you do if you have a franchise QB is protect him with a line that can pass block and control the run game to keep the opposing defense honest. You do that and you check several boxes in terms of winning football. 

It’s easily OLine. I mean we all remember the tragic career of David Carr. 

As for the other position groups I don’t know that it matters too much as long as you make sure that group is elite. 

Except for maybe RB. History suggests having a team lead the league in rushing is a great way to not win a championship. 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

What BPA did we ignore?

36 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

OL and CB units could still be a weakness:

• OL - two or three low rated journeymen or rooks starting
  • CB - average LCB, sophomore RCB and first time nickel

All primed to get their ases handed to em. League gotta be lickin their chops.

Colts had two rookies paired with what you called a journeyman and did just fine.

50 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Our first two picks were not your typical TD-type picks, or even Dan Quinn's.   The rest of the draft was more in line with their drafting philosophy:  developmental-measurables types longer on potential than immediate results (well, except for Ollison…).

I do think TD will definitely be looking for another experienced CB.

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

Am I the only one that laughed at this choice of topic name? Most important unit?

lol

Depends on the position.