AF89

Atlanta United Summer thread (2019)

107 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2019 at 4:29 PM, AF89 said:

annnd just like that we gave away a 90+ minute miracle by Josef.<_<

Back line has been absolute trash since the intl break. I love all Parky has done for us but this game flipped after Pogba's injury. He played a part in all three goals allowed. (Tho the last is 75% on Robinson who got caught ball watching) It's time to retire bud.

Here we go again,  down.goes Shea and it's Parky whose gets the emergency call not 6 mins in. Seattle immediately targets that side

I feel like the quality of play has gone down since Tata left. I get there's been several players in and out of the rotation, but they've looked so bad at times that I can hardly stand to watch (which is saying something coming from watching UEFA soccer). Pity goes down far too easily and takes himself out of games. Gressel still irritates me. Remedi is unimpressive. Parkhurst has clearly lost a step. The only consistent bright spots for me are Nagbe, LGP (except for that horrible pass attempt), and Escobar (shouldn't have been carded).

17 minutes ago, No.11 said:

I feel like the quality of play has gone down since Tata left. I get there's been several players in and out of the rotation, but they've looked so bad at times that I can hardly stand to watch (which is saying something coming from watching UEFA soccer). Pity goes down far too easily and takes himself out of games. Gressel still irritates me. Remedi is unimpressive. Parkhurst has clearly lost a step. The only consistent bright spots for me are Nagbe, LGP (except for that horrible pass attempt), and Escobar (shouldn't have been carded).

LGP has been the biggest liability of our main cast of starters since the international break imo. Was kinda starring to think Robinson and Pogba had something cooking before the freak injury. 

Hydman should be replacing Gressel immediately

If that Escobar card doesn't get rescinded our back line..is..in...trouble Wednesday.  What a terrible card for a guy that clearly got to the ball first and Roldan just recklessly throws his body into the area and somehow Escobar gets the call cause the other guy got the worst of it...mls refs gonna mls ref tho. That'll teach Escobar to ....do his job (purple). Knowing MLS they'll just retcon it so the card was for arguing thr call <_<

Thought Pity looked good today. Still well well well short of what we thought we were getting but it was better.

Sucks that the team is boring AND conceding goals. I could live with the blandness if it were actually producing results like a month ago.

Thank god the East is so weak. We're still in the drivers seat for a higher seed.

I'd b curious to see who thinks we should now prioritize Open Cup and Campriones Cup and who thinks we need to concentrate even more on regular season.

I'm sorta in the former camp but these side shows absolutely probably will cost us playoff positioning. 

We're something like a combined 8-1-4 (W/L/D) against the remaining Open Cup teams but that's me spit balling it. I know for a fact the only loss was Minnesota in 2017 when basically our entire team was off in World Cup qualifying

Whelp with all the injuries this is gonna be a defense put together with a rubber band and chewing gum. Not a single fullback avaliable on the roster. Hold on to your butts

Well we wiped out that goal differential hole we dug in Chicago.  Never know when that might factor in

2 hours ago, AF89 said:

Whelp with all the injuries this is gonna be a defense put together with a rubber band and chewing gum. Not a single fullback avaliable on the roster. Hold on to your butts

Ironically our injury lineup really turned into a tactical advantage as suddenly you got Gressel on the wing and Houston down a man pretty much gave up on exploiting the wide areas and he pretty much got as many open crosses as he wanted 

Scoring 5 goals is always impressive. Will check the condensed game to see how it went down.

2 hours ago, No.11 said:

Scoring 5 goals is always impressive. Will check the condensed game to see how it went down.

The long short of it is, Elis got a red card that while technically correct (he did make contact with the ref) was a wee bit ridiculous and Houston's manager did about as awful job of rotating to cover the man disadvantage as one could possibly do. The player selection from them was weird from the get go and then they waited till we scored to then put on an extra defensive midfielder. 

But we'll take it. Turns out all we needed was half  our team out on suspension or injury to really find a combination that clicked :ninja:

16 hours ago, AF89 said:

The long short of it is, Elis got a red card that while technically correct (he did make contact with the ref) was a wee bit ridiculous and Houston's manager did about as awful job of rotating to cover the man disadvantage as one could possibly do. The player selection from them was weird from the get go and then they waited till we scored to then put on an extra defensive midfielder. 

But we'll take it. Turns out all we needed was half  our team out on suspension or injury to really find a combination that clicked :ninja:

Yeah, although getting in a refs face is never gonna end well. That's like a cardinal sin. I didn't think it was ridiculous at all. Can't let players do that to you.

As for other noteworthy things, Hyndman is good. He clearly looks like someone that's played in top flight European Soccer. The movement with and without the ball, the touches, he gets it. Hyndman needs more playing time, because he plays and sees things develop faster and we need more of that.

Not expecting to be able to go into LA and get three points so this was a huge game for us to take care of.

What a ridiculous PK call and failure to use VAR on probably 2 or 3 of thier 4 goals. (At least that PK for sure)

Obviously MLS felt they owed LAFC after last week and we drew the short straw

Pity and Barco look good together. Robinson continues to impress--his game on the ball has improved a lot and he's pretty much locked down his position. We'll be that much more dangerous when LGP gets back from suspension, because Robinson, Escobar, LGP, and Pogba all can push the ball forward and are excellent on-ball defenders, which means we can play a high line.

Josef out tonight for the US Open semifinals

Really not looking forward to our first loss to them