AF89

Atlanta United Summer thread (2019)

107 posts in this topic

We actually look fun again and with games in hand we might be back to the top before we know it.

only complaints tonight is we're looking pretty poorly playing from the back early in this game and Pity still looks like trash once you get pass the 75th min so I dunno if he's still working back in his legs or what. (Otherwise he might have actually been the man of the match)

But otherwise we just smacked around one of the hottest teams in the league

off the top of my head Seattle might be the only team we've never beat after slaughtering SKC sunday and Toronto tonight. (And cincy I guess)

Told yall it might start looking better once we got fresh legs and played on good grass ^_^

Won 4 of our last 5, 3rd clean sheet in a row

I forgot to mention but we traded for Justin Meram (Iraq) who was supposed to be a significant piece when Orlando aquired him last year but never quite fit in.  Should be very useful depth till Barco gets back from U-20 duty

(he's an naturalized American citizen so no international spot needed)

Looking forward to my September trip now. Titans, @Texans, @Cardinals and the SJ ATLUTD game. 

Get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

A win is a win and I'll take one anyway we get it, but man there are some glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed.

1) Remedi. This guy continues to be a liability in the defense and almost single-handedly ended the streak of clean sheets with an utterly boneheaded mistake. He's far too lackadaisical in possession and too often seems to lack situational awareness.

2) We need to be sharper in possession. Too many times I see players being indecisive, standing around, not anticipating openings, or just taking bad angles or bad touches. It needs to be faster and crisper. The only players I see consistently making good, quick decisions with the ball is Nagbe, Parkhurst, and LGP. Robinson played a good game though.

3) We need more creativity and better finishes in the final third. Villalba provides much of it as he's aggressive and will run forward when given space (which is what players in his position are supposed to do). Some of his passes and finishes leave a lot to be desired, but I like his aggressiveness and we need more of that. 

By contrast, Gressel is too rigid. This is his third season in MLS. He's starting to frustrate me with his lack of aggression and creativity. Unless you give him a mile of space, he won't make a move to run forward with the ball and he's pretty much always 1 on 1 with a defender. I'm talking basic in and out cuts that Villalba was abusing his defender with all game and they are easy and effective in giving yourself room to shoot or pass the ball. Gressel won't do it, and it frustrates me because it kills the offense and makes it easier to defend his side of the field. Either he starts to develop that part of his game or he needs to be replaced with someone that has.

Looks like we're going to be doing some resting in Vancouver.  I'd honestly be ok with a draw (a 0-0 I guess so we can still get the shutout record)

Meram and Pogba look ****ing fantastic in a small sample size. 

Pogba putting his zone on lock down,

No.11 likes this

Up to third in the East. When we going to start giving FdB credit? I'm loving how we're actually putting in good rotations

Tata never won 5 in a row. :ninja:

6 hours ago, AF89 said:

Up to third in the East. When we going to start giving FdB credit? I'm loving how we're actually putting in good rotations

Tata never won 5 in a row. :ninja:

We never had this good of a defense with Tata. Credit FdB for adapting and getting the defense better. We'll win more games because of that. 

9 hours ago, No.11 said:

We never had this good of a defense with Tata. Credit FdB for adapting and getting the defense better. We'll win more games because of that. 

This is gonna make peoole wince but I'm sorta reminded of those (good) stretches Man U went thru with Mourinho where they'd get the lead and just ride out win streaks controlling the middle of the pitch.

With that in mind, we need to make this long term sustainable by converting more of our chances in front of goal (I believe our expected goal average is still pretty solid but we're just not burying it)

The depth is coming together tho. Even that kid we got from Watford is getting consistent minutes.

No.11 likes this

16 hours ago, AF89 said:

This is gonna make peoole wince but I'm sorta reminded of those (good) stretches Man U went thru with Mourinho where they'd get the lead and just ride out win streaks controlling the middle of the pitch.

With that in mind, we need to make this long term sustainable by converting more of our chances in front of goal (I believe our expected goal average is still pretty solid but we're just not burying it)

The depth is coming together tho. Even that kid we got from Watford is getting consistent minutes.

Who did we get from Watford? 

Yeah, the finishing definitely needs to be better, but I don't mind that being the last box to tick off. I'd like to see more of Meram just to see what he really gives us.

But we do have some impressive depth. Even Brek Shea is starting to come around.

7 hours ago, No.11 said:

Who did we get from Watford? 

Pereira

I believe he was named something like thier top young player in 2016. Not sure how he ended up our way instead but he's solid depth behind Remedi

New York rested most of its starters last weekend, didn't play a midweek game and don't have to travel.

so they'll be waaaay more rested today

An early goal for Atl will probably go along way

Pretty harsh red. Most refs would have just given a yellow unless it was inside the box.

Gonna have to get more creative to score now. NYRB are pretty much playing not to lose at this point.

Double digit corners and not a one even remotely threatening

Feel like if we played another 90 minutes they'd still be more likely to score than we would

I hope Josef destroys a trashcan

What a freaking joke. Don't blame Villalba. That dude was being a real a-hole. Hope this wakes up something in the team.

Another Guzan mistake.

First time watching them for a month or so, and another disappointing performance.

Just now, Domed Outter said:

Another Guzan mistake.

First time watching them for a month or so, and another disappointing performance.

That wasn't Guzan's fault. If anything Robinson was out of position and let the guy get a clean header.

Just now, No.11 said:

That wasn't Guzan's fault. If anything Robinson was out of position and let the guy get a clean header.

Yeah that was on Robinson

Just now, No.11 said:

I'd be covering the nod across the box from that type of cross, just seemed it took Guzan a split second too long to work out where the ball was going.