Jump to content

Lawn talk


Recommended Posts

Anyone have issues with there lawn?

I live near Western NY. 

I use nothing but this product and I never worry about weeds or anything else. I've got the greenest lawn in my neighborhood every year. 

$18 bucks a bag. I use 4 bags a year. 

But I'm always looking to make my lawn look even better. 

Ideas? Anything you swear by? 

 

milorganite-granular-fertilizer-100048741-64_1000-1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Falcon Man, when I did have a home in Georgia (sold to brother in 2012. I live in Maryland now in a "fake" Brownstone, no yard), we would aerate the yard in the fall, I forgot if I put down fertilizer when that was done...........................and believe this or not, we would burn that yard in the spring!  Proper precautions were taken of course, but I always had the prettiest, greenest yard in the neighborhood (if you want to call it that.  We had 5 acres (not all yard), and where we built in Alpharetta (well, postal route) at the time was kind of rural (then), but boy did that change)!  Don't know if they will let you burn where you live, but it worked wonders for us!

 

Edit:  I "DO" have a yard in Maryland, but the front is handled by the HOA, and the patch of grass in the rear, I cut with a Fiskars reel mower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bknowles said:

Is that a weed and feed or just fertilizer?

 

I use a generic fertilizer that I get from a small farm store but it’s a 19-19-19 and it works pretty well but I need to find something to take care of the weeds.

I’m in North GA

It's just a fertilizer. High in nitrogen. 

But I swear by it. My neighbors use a lawn service. I tell them you just need to have a healthy lawn and the grass over grows the weeds. I see seas of yellow (dandelions) all over my neighborhood! I literally had 3 last week that I murdered lol. 

I'm bound to get a few when those things spread their seed everywhere lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

21 hours ago, bknowles said:

Is that a weed and feed or just fertilizer?

 

I use a generic fertilizer that I get from a small farm store but it’s a 19-19-19 and it works pretty well but I need to find something to take care of the weeds.

I’m in North GA

It's just a fertilizer. High in nitrogen. 

But I swear by it. My neighbors use a lawn service. I tell them you just need to have a healthy lawn and the grass over grows the weeds. I see seas of yellow (dandelions) all over my neighborhood! I literally had 3 last week that I murdered lol. 

I'm bound to get a few when those things spread their seed everywhere lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Falcon Man™ said:

Yes sir. All I've done to it is change the oil (annually) sharpen the blades (twice a year), and change the battery (once). 

I use non-ethanol gas and it starts every time (except when the battery went dead lol). 

I traded my Husqvarna zero turn mower for an ARGO 8x8 about 4 years ago. I've regretted it ever since. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I traded my Husqvarna zero turn mower for an ARGO 8x8 about 4 years ago. I've regretted it ever since. 

Husqvarna produces great products. 

I bought a push lawn mower with their name on it brand new for $350. Wasn't self driven. 

Honda motor, double bearings in the wheels. Just a great product. 

I wasn't prepared to spend the money on a 1/3 acre of grass, but using that push mower took me 2 hours to mow. Now I mow for about 40 minutes. 

Then, FML I spend another half hour trimming around the pool and all my F-ing trees!!! 

My Cub Cadet has served me well for the last 5 years.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Falcon Man™ said:

A bench grinder (bought a delta off Craigslist for $20) is awesome for sharpening blades! 

Switch out your current blades to a set of gator blades and thank a brother later after you use them...............

Oh, I have a side hobby of restoring/fixing Cub Cadet movers.  Got two originals for free.  One was an easy fix, the other, I replaced the engine with a Harbor Freight Predator engine.  Gave both away.  I have another one that I am piddling on now, and I have a Cub Cadet 3235 (that I purchased brand new at the dealer years ago) stored at my mothers house back in Georgia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

Switch out your current blades to a set of gator blades and thank a brother later after you use them...............

Oh, I have a side hobby of restoring/fixing Cub Cadet movers.  Got two originals for free.  One was an easy fix, the other, I replaced the engine with a Harbor Freight Predator engine.  Gave both away.  I have another one that I am piddling on now, and I have a Cub Cadet 3235 (that I purchased brand new at the dealer years ago) stored at my mothers house back in Georgia.

I will Google those blades. 

What are your thoughts on Cub Cadets? 

I'll sell the bish and get a better product... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...