Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcons007

Aints fans on Cominsky(Pre-draft) & Cominsky Interview

45 posts in this topic

Swamp Rats comparing his combine numbers with Aaron Donald. I hope he makes the Aints QB life miserable for years to come. 

https://saintsreport.com/threads/2019-nfl-draft-dt-john-cominsky-vs-aaron-donald.406095/

Senior Bowl Interview: 

--- I would like to be DT and Special team player to start. 

--- There were more people watching Senior bowl practice than biggest games in Charleston.

--- I look up to JJ Watt and I consider myself similar build. 

Another Pre draft interview. 

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/1/10/18156870/2019-nfl-draft-interview-john-cominsky-prospect-ready-to-blow-up-the-senior-bowl

Some snippets. 

JM: How much of a successful pass rushing rep is accomplished before the snap?

JC: I would say about 70 to 80 percent. What I’ve learned in my four years at Charleston is that pass rushing is like a chess match. When we’re running one-on-ones in practice, you have to use what he’s giving you. You have to use that to your advantage. If I come with a nasty outside move, that offensive tackle is thinking he just got beat outside and now he’s overcompenating. Well now, I can win inside on the next rep. It’s about using reverse psychology. Next time, I’m gonna act like I’m going outside again but now I’m staying outside this time. It’s one giant mind game. 

When you start dominating him and it gets late in a game, you know what an offensive linemen is thinking by his stance. If I show that I’m gonna go power and I wanna rush through his face, I’m gonna give him a jab step and make him lunge and then swipe his arms away. It’s during that pre-snap alignment when the minds game occur. It’s the ultimate chess match between a defensive linemen and an offensive linemen. When I win, I’d say 75% of the time is because I had him pre-snap.

JM: I love talking to pass rushers. Nothing is more exciting to me than watching someone rush the quarterback. Speaking of developing a more diverse pass rush arsenal, how do you counter if your initial move is stopped?

JC: I always have a second move in mind. Most of the time, I win on my second move. Usually my initial move is some kind of power move, maybe a long-arm move. If the offensive tackle handles it and they don’t over-step me, or if they come back with enough power to stop me in my tracks, I usually have that second move ready to go. I usually work an inside-outside move and vice versa. If my initial move is a long-arm on the outside shoulder, my counter move is gonna be on the inside arm. If I go inside and I go for a power-rip on the inside, maybe I have that arm ready to be ripped out and then work back to his outside shoulder. 

I like to work outside to inside. I always have a second move in mind. If the second move doesn’t work, you just have to stay violent and stay active with your hands and keep trying to get to the quarterback. After that, second nature takes over. You eventually get those hands off you. I always find a path to the ball. You definitely have a first and second move ready to go, and sometimes even a third move. After that, it’s just about doing whatever you can to get his hands off you and get to the quarterback.

31 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Swamp Rats comparing his combine numbers with Aaron Donald. I hope he makes the Aints QB life miserable for years to come. 

https://saintsreport.com/threads/2019-nfl-draft-dt-john-cominsky-vs-aaron-donald.406095/

Senior Bowl Interview: 

--- There were more people watching Senior bowl practice than biggest games in Charleston.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/1/10/18156870/2019-nfl-draft-interview-john-cominsky-prospect-ready-to-blow-up-the-senior-bowl

Some snippets. 

We got us a good one boys 

34 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Senior Bowl Interview: 

Some snippets. 

Maybe he can teach Beasley something....

7 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

Maybe he can teach Beasley something....

He is raw project but sounds like a smart kid. Biggest unknown is competition he faced in D2. Other than that he looks good on paper. 

TheFatboi and Ergo Proxy like this

Based on how he's talking, you'd think his tape would be more impressive.

It's not his fault though, he has to say absurd things like comparing himself to J.J. Watt because people keep sticking microphones in his face and asking absurd questions. So the he had to come off overly confident to increase his chances of being drafted higher than his production suggests.

Still, it's reassuring that he clearly understands the theory behind his new position, and will have the best environment possible to learn and earn snaps on gameday.

With his athletic ability he can be as good as he wants to be.

10 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Man it sounds like we could have a special talent in JM....he’s prolly a yr or two away.

Only 5 months away... :mmmhmm:

Atl Falcon likes this

People are gonna be super disappointed when this kid doesn't live up to the lofty status that has been heaped upon him. I hope for the best, but let's not kid ourselves or get too excited. There will be endless whining about how much he sucks.

11 minutes ago, Jesus said:

People are gonna be super disappointed when this kid doesn't live up to the lofty status that has been heaped upon him. I hope for the best, but let's not kid ourselves or get too excited. There will be endless whining about how much he sucks.

I really hope that people aren't expecting much till year 3 for this very reason. He was almost a 5th round pick. Expecting him to even be a solid part of the rotation this year is pretty optimistic.

Jesus likes this

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I really hope that people aren't expecting much till year 3 for this very reason. He was almost a 5th round pick. Expecting him to even be a solid part of the rotation this year is pretty optimistic.

Right. There are folks who, if he doesn't show up and get 15 sacks this year, will think he is the biggest bust ever and the coaching staff should all be fired. Honestly I don't care if they get worked up like that, but it will make this place unbearable.

slick0ne, falcons007 and Vandy like this

18 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

31 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I will be happy if he could be another Kroy, he has high ceiling, which may or may not work out. He has physical tools and attitude, but needs to work on skill.

Vandy likes this

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Careful, I wasn’t even near this critical or derogatory about Cominsky and the Homer Brigade lambasted me for 5 pages in the other thread.  I merely called him a huge project and told people to slow their roll when setting absurd expectations and making crazy comparisons to HOF’ers, and you’d have thought I murdered these guy’s family they got so bent about it.

I like the pick and really really love the kid’s attitude and drive. He’s got tremendous potential. But he’s in for a rude awakening when he hits NFL speed and tries to apply his talents and knowledge to NFL OL’s who are ALL stronger and faster by a factor of 2+ than anything he’s come close to going up against.

If he ends up being an instant gem, or even just above average by year 2-3, I’ll be pleasantly surprised and ecstatic.  If not, then I won’t be disappointed because I understood from the onset he was just a 4th round DII incredible athlete we took a flier on that didn’t translate.

Edited by Beef
Jesus likes this

15 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Right. There are folks who, if he doesn't show up and get 15 sacks this year, will think he is the biggest bust ever and the coaching staff should all be fired. Honestly I don't care if they get worked up like that, but it will make this place unbearable.

I don’t think any one is expecting him to get 15 sacks. 4th rounder is hardly a bust. That’s the round you want to take raw guys with high ceiling and higher risk of wasting a draft pick.

Jesus likes this