vel

Back where his NFL career started and faded, Ra’Shede Hageman will grapple with — and try to atone for — his past

95 posts in this topic

Wow. And we thought him trying to buy weed on IG was bad...that's literally nothing compared to everything he went through as a kid. Let's hope he does break the bloodline and is serious about the change.

ahawkins, atlbaby, NWFALCON and 6 others like this

9 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

Wow. And we thought him trying to buy weed on IG was bad...that's literally nothing compared to everything he went through as a kid. Let's hope he does break the bloodline and is serious about the change.

I am glad falcons are providing him additional help. It should have happened earlier when he was drafted.

ATLskinjob and ahawkins like this

Mann....Vel....that literally gave me goose bumps reading that article....thanks.

I was very excited to see our new OL at work.....but I am now more excited to see our DL at work.  

Ours days of getting bullied on the lines seems to now be behind us.  

Go Hageman.

17 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Wow.  Hopefully, having the story out in the open (all the childhood memories of being left at crack houses, beaten, multiple foster homes) can be healing.  Rooting for him to turn it around and go out in a good place.

Very true....How can you not be pulling for this young man? 

I am beginning to think the Falcons bringing Hagemen back is a much bigger deal than they are letting on. Have always liked and rooted for this guy, and when he wanted to be he was unstoppable.

Notice how the Falcons did not go after a DT in the draft. It is beginning to look like they were targeting Lindtsrom with the 10th pick, not Wilkins? 

It is a wait and see, but beginning to get a little excited about having Ra'Shede back!

ahawkins, Tim Mazetti and duckhoa like this

“It made him realize he’s going to be held responsible for the things he does,” Roberts says. “From that point on, he was a completely different person. More dedicated. More focused.”

The problem at the time of his DWI might have been that things seemed to be actually going well. Given where Hageman came from, that can be uncomfortable.

“I don’t want to be comfortable, if that makes sense,” he says. “I was too comfortable the first time I was in the league and I kind of went on autopilot. I wasn’t focusing on my craft, thinking it would just happen.”

Rise up!

ahawkins, Tim Mazetti and atlbaby like this

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

Long read, but well worth it. I can't help but root for the kid and really hope he earns a spot on the 53. He made a mistake but he didn't deserve to have his entire future taken away from him - I'm glad he got that 2nd chance. More than that I'm glad he earnt it by turning his life around. 

Without having read this story, the fact that Quinn and the Falcons had signed him told me Shede had not only paid the price for his sins, but had also learned the lessons needed to turn his life around.

My parents were lower-middle class. My mother worked at a day care center changing diapers so my brother and I could have decent clothes to wear to school. My brother and I never knew our family wasn't "well off" because we had everything that seemed important ~ and we were right. We had our parents and they were devoted to my brother and I.

To read this story of him and his brother going through their childhood with an addicted mother, no father, foster home after foster home was heart-breaking. How could you come out of a childhood like that without serious issues? But he didn't just give up and quit on his dream or himself. Instead he joined the church and accepted responsibility for all that has happened in the past few years.

This man has earned his chance at redemption. And I applaud Blank, Quinn and TD for giving Hageman another chance. There's not a doubt in my mind he will make the most of it. I've been in his corner since I found out he was back and as I already said before, I can hardly wait to watch him get after QB's this season and beyond. Welcome back, Shede! Rise Up!!

Great read, thanks for posting. Hope this man has learned his ways, not just for the falcons but for himself 

ahawkins likes this

I'm really pulling for him. I still remember him sacking Rodgers by grabbing his foot in the NFC championship game. If he can truly play to his full potential; having him line up with Jarrett will be nasty.

Tim Mazetti, No.11, duckhoa and 3 others like this

1 minute ago, V-Town Falcon said:

I'm really pulling for him. I still remember him sacking Rodgers by grabbing his foot in the NFC championship game. If he can truly play to his full potential; having him line up with Jarrett will be nasty.

I hope he's studied while he was out. More power and speed will be great but, if the guy has put a few moves together....He might just be a game wrecker. 

PokerSteve and ahawkins like this

Im happy he found christ. He is a follower of jesus christ now. When you put him first. He will bless you.

That what stood out to me the most. 

He has a changed ❤.

If he is dedicated to football and god. He will be ok. He is going to have a great season.

ahawkins and Tim Mazetti like this

I have always been impressed with Hageman's physical traits.  

How many DTs his size have an almost 3 foot vertical jump?

Now we get a highly motivated Hageman back for under a million.....starting to feel like this is our year.  

Can not wait to see him jack up and run over OL again.  

Posted (edited)

Wow...  This was the best article I've read involving the Falcons this year easily...

Rico is a man of his word and the type of friend everyone needs in their life.  He never forgot how Hageman motivated him to push himself from the practice squad to becoming a starter on a team that went to a Superbowl.  Just found it great that he tried to lift Hageman when he was down and was the first person to meet him when he came in to workout for us.  Dude is a real one and a leader, proud he's on this team...

Back to Hageman though...   Dude has had it rough as ****.  Born with crack in his system, taken away from his addict mother during a raid and going through 12 foster homes b4 the age of 10... He was bound to hit some rough spots going through that type of tramua.

He has made plenty of mistakes in his life, but to finally see the light and learn to take responsibility for his actions is one of the biggest things a man can learn.  Some people can go through life and never learn from their mistakes.  He seems more motivated than ever to play this game that he loves.  That was his main issue when playing for us.  He would toss a guard like a rag doll one play then become disinterested the next 2.  He seems like he has a lot to prove and wants to show the brass that they didn't make a mistake giving him a second chance. 

Props to Blank, TD and Quinn for giving him this opportunity.  I think they know how special he can be.  Imagine a 6'6" 320 pound motivated man with something to prove lining up in front of you...  Lingstrom will get tested every second he faces him in practice.  Iron sharpens iron...  I'm Hageman's biggest fan after reading this and hope I can cheer him on for many Sundays to come!

Thank you Vel for sharing this bro.

Edited by gHost83

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, duckhoa said:

I have always been impressed with Hageman's physical traits.  

How many DTs his size have an almost 3 foot vertical jump?

Now we get a highly motivated Hageman back for under a million.....starting to feel like this is our year.  

Can not wait to see him jack up and run over OL again.  

Yeah man he is an absolute physical freak. 

I know that this not has very much to do with your skills as a defensive tackle, but I just googled how much the best DT (Aaron Donald) in the league benches, and it's 500. It's crazy that Shede can bench 520. 

Again, I know that doesn't make him a good player, but man. If he can get his motivation right, and it sounds like he has, this dude has literally every measurable in his favor. I think his work ethic is getting to the right place due to his dose of reality. Buddy is realizing that he doesn't want to be a salesman and that his place is to be blowing up opposing offensive lines.

Edited by ATLskinjob
falcons007, duckhoa and PokerSteve like this

He's always been a beast. He was just lazy when he got here. If he knows this is his last shot hes going to leave everything on the field.

I’m not even concerned about his physical tools, or even his conditioning for that matter. 

He can be worked into “game shape”.

I just hope he has 100% heart and motivation this time around. That’s what I believe was missing before.

From the looks of things, it appears he may have found it. If so, he could be a true comeback player candidate.

I’m definitely rooting for him.

It will be fun to see how Training Camp plays out this year.

Great time to be a Falcon fan!

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

“It made him realize he’s going to be held responsible for the things he does,” Roberts says. “From that point on, he was a completely different person. More dedicated. More focused.”

The problem at the time of his DWI might have been that things seemed to be actually going well. Given where Hageman came from, that can be uncomfortable.

“I don’t want to be comfortable, if that makes sense,” he says. “I was too comfortable the first time I was in the league and I kind of went on autopilot. I wasn’t focusing on my craft, thinking it would just happen.”

14 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Yall have to remember ... When he got cut.. He was playing his best ball.... 

This was a deep article tho.. He is only 28.. Hopefully he gets it right

With Shede being more focused I feel he’ll become a beast.

Cole World likes this