thanat0s

I’m calling it. Zion to ATL!

260 posts in this topic

Just now, slickgadawg said:

I actually DO believe the GMs work together.  When David Stern blocked the Chris Paul trade to the Lakers from New Orleans, he went OFF on the Pelicans GM because the GM was doing something to the detriment of the league.  The NBA wants to keep 30 teams.  He knew that New Orleans without Paul was gonna sink.  Charles Barkley hinted that Toronto without Leonard next year might be in trouble.  Its a LEAGUE first,  franchise second.  I don't know why people can't get that.

League:  

a collection of people, countries, or groups that combine for a particular purpose, typically mutual protection or cooperation.

Yeah, good thing he blocked that trade so that Chris Paul is still in New Orleans...

Posted (edited)

On 5/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, Expert Poster said:

Yeah, good thing he blocked that trade so that Chris Paul is still in New Orleans...

Edited by slickgadawg

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Chris Paul was replaced.  Do you know that the NBA ALMOST went out of business in the 1970s?  Did you know that?  David Sterns SAVED that league.  What he did was insure EVERY market had a superstar to promote and that the superstar had some sort of connection to the demographic of the local market.  Magic Showtime went to hollywood.  Bird went to New England.  Barkley replaced Irving on the Atlantic Coast.  Nique was transferred back down south to Georgia and Utah got Stockton to replace him.  Orlando new franchise.  They get Hardaway and Shaq in back to back drafts.  I could go on and on with this.  Dunzic the foreign player replaces foreign player Dirk in Dallas.  Man, this is EASY to see how they market the league... Its NOT rigged, its a COOPERATION between teams...  Rigged is when OUTSIDERS play a game that others control...

You believe it's all a conspiracy. Cool. But just realize that you haven't proven anything. All you've shown is that you view league events through the prism of a conspiracy theory and you retrofit all moves to align with that theory. I'm sure you would have another conspiracy explanation if two other teams had won the lottery. 

Did you ever stop to consider that the TEAMS involved in trades like the Young-Doncic one wanted the trade for their own reasons? Mavs wanted Doncic but were picking too far down. Schenk valued Young over Doncic anyway and took advantage of Dallas's desire for a protege to Dirk by securing a future pick. 

And most of your historic examples make no sense. Magic was from Michigan. Larry Bird was from Indiana. Charles Barkley is from rural Alabama. 

19 hours ago, jidady said:

As this thread shows, I loved Trae more than most on Draft Day last year, but virtually nobody here wanted him straight up over Doncic at the time.

We've gotten lucky with Trae so far, and I hope that we continue to do so. But Luka's PER last year was 19.61. Trae was only at 17.02. The gap was closing down the stretch, but Luka still looks like the better (or, at least, more complete) player.

Metrics suggest that Trae's the worst defender in the NBA, at least among starters. Tristan Thompson and Taurean Prince are the only other players even in the conversation based on this season. Collins is terrible, too. We needed Culver or Hunter to fit our offensive system and carry the load on defense.

We didn't get lucky with Trae. What he did his rookie season was what he did in college, just at a higher level. 

Doncic was playing professionally for years by the time he was drafted. The fact that Trae closed the gap that fast given his inexperience (only played one year in college) speaks volumes of his basketball acumen and ability. Nevertheless, it shouldn't have come as a surprise or be seen as lucky. Schlenk knew dam well what Trae brought to the table--he is a bona fide playmaker who is a great shooter and even better passer. 

Doncic may have been the more polished player going into the draft, but when it's all said and done Trae will have proven to be every bit as special as Doncic. 

As for this draft, all we can do is continue to build for the future while leveraging assets to get and maintain spending flexibility. The cards were dealt and #8 and #10 is the hand we got. It is what it is. Yeah all of us were hoping and expecting a high enough pick to get one of our favorites, and it didn't happen. It sucks, but it doesn't change the overall strategy. Still plenty of moves that can still be made.

blkbigdog35, Beef and jayu70 like this

39 minutes ago, WOR said:

All these media/random fan types "OMG new Orleans??? He's gonna hate it! So disappointing as a city!" 

Bruh. He's from Spartanburg lol

It’s definitely going to be interesting for him there!!

1 hour ago, blkbigdog35 said:

It’s definitely going to be interesting for him there!!

All he's gotta say is 'I'll do what AD wasn't able to - win more than one playoff game'

blkbigdog35 likes this

2 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

All he's gotta say is 'I'll do what AD wasn't able to - win more than one playoff game'

:lol: