thanat0s

I’m calling it. Zion to ATL!

260 posts in this topic

The Charlotte Hornets should feel confident that Jaxson Hayes' rim running, finishing and shot blocking will carry over based on his tremendous efficiency, 6'11" size and standout athleticism. 

At 18 years old, Hayes shot 72.8 percent this season, ranking in the 96th percentile as a cutter, 95th percentile as a roll man, 95th percentile in transition and 90th percentile on post-ups. 

He made zero jump shots and totaled nine assists all season. He isn't a new-school big who'll put the ball on the floor. Instead, Charlotte will take Hayes for his ability to make an impact by running, jumping and reacting.

Man Hayes is Clint Capella 2.0 lol
g-dawg likes this

I think Goga Bitadze is gonna throw a monkey wrench into this draft. 

Schlenk has scouted him just btw. 

He's essentially Jokic... If Jokic wasn't an elite passer. Not in anyway saying he's gonna be as good. Jokics passing is half of what makes him elite. 

Someone's gonna go all goo goo eyes on him. 

24 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Just searching for some highlights on Sekou and the kid is nice.

1. That dudes got some big *** hands. 

2. Loved those finishes. Seems to have good touch around the rim. Lots of different angles on those layups. 

3. His 3 point release is slow. Not sure I believe in that just yet. But if he could even shoot "a little" he will be fine. 

4. This dudes gonna be a hawk lol. That bounce pass to the cutter down the lane. Schlenk gonna fall in love lol. 

3 minutes ago, WOR said:

1. That dudes got some big *** hands. 

2. Loved those finishes. Seems to have good touch around the rim. Lots of different angles on those layups. 

3. His 3 point release is slow. Not sure I believe in that just yet. But if he could even shoot "a little" he will be fine. 

4. This dudes gonna be a hawk lol. That bounce pass to the cutter down the lane. Schlenk gonna fall in love lol. 

Yeah the kid is definitely nice! Not sure if he comes in and start though.

2 minutes ago, Nereek said:

To make things worse.

s656k38qk9y21.jpg

Wait is that what the next ping pong ball would have been or is that where Zion wanted to go? 

Found this quote from someone on an internet forum who is a fan of another team.

"I gotta admit, I liked the idea of Zion going to the Hawks. A Zion Williamson-Trae Young duo would've been fun as **** to watch. As far as teams getting a "tough break" in this lottery, Atlanta probably got the worst."

Yep, Atlanta sports in a nutshell! 

blkbigdog35, No.11 and Drew4719 like this

Just now, mqg96 said:

Wait is that what the next ping pong ball would have been or is that where Zion wanted to go? 

I think he wanted to play for hawks or Hornets.

g-dawg likes this

Well, that sucked.

We now gave up Luka for the #10 pick in a thin draft. There are seriously only four players in this draft who I'm confident fill a need and are difference makers for the Hawks. None of them gets to us unless somebody gets hurt or fails a drug test. 

Now, we start kicking the tires on the maybes and hoping that we get another Greek Freak scenario where easily the best player in the draft doesn't come from the top half of the lottery.

We're never getting Cleveland's first-round pick either. It's top 10 protected next year and then falls to a second-round pick.

At this point, I expect us to try to trade up, but it's more likely that we pick at #8 and then move back off of #10 into the mid- to upper-teens.

It's like waking up on Christmas morning to find out that you got socks.

g-dawg likes this

Posted (edited)

On 5/14/2019 at 10:59 PM, Expert Poster said:

You do realize that two teams were going to get those spots regardless, right? There's not a team in the league that had better than 7-1 odds in the Zion sweepstakes. 

The reality is people think the lottery itself is a system ripe for rigging so they will rationalize reasons for why the NBA "rigged" it regardless of the results.

Knicks get the #1 pick? Rigged.

Knicks don't get the #1 pick? Rigged, since the Knicks will get Durant anyway. 

Lakers or Bulls get the #1 pick? Rigged.

Neither Lakers or Bulls gets the #1 pick? Rigged, since they are large market teams who don't need the #1 pick anyway. 

Hawks get the #1 pick? Rigged to create a Trae-Zion duo. 

The draft is not rigged. It's a sheer game of luck with the probability set out beforehand, but people who don't understand this go out and do things like bet on the Knicks to get the #1 pick at implied odds of 30% when the actual math shows they had a 14% chance. 

Edited by slickgadawg

6 hours ago, jidady said:

Well, that sucked.

We now gave up Luka for the #10 pick in a thin draft. There are seriously only four players in this draft who I'm confident fill a need and are difference makers for the Hawks. None of them gets to us unless somebody gets hurt or fails a drug test. 

Now, we start kicking the tires on the maybes and hoping that we get another Greek Freak scenario where easily the best player in the draft doesn't come from the top half of the lottery.

We're never getting Cleveland's first-round pick either. It's top 10 protected next year and then falls to a second-round pick.

At this point, I expect us to try to trade up, but it's more likely that we pick at #8 and then move back off of #10 into the mid- to upper-teens.

We traded him for Trae and the 10th pick. If you paid attention, you’d know that once Dallas was slotted at 9, that was the highest our pick from them was ever going to be. Getting 10 was the second best outcome of that deal. 

10 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

KD, Vooch, Klay and Tobias are on my max contract short list.

I'd take Tobias off that list. Not a max player. Vucevic is probably the most likely signing, which would create one of the best front courts in the NBA. 

7 hours ago, jidady said:

Well, that sucked.

giphy.gif

jayu70, g-dawg and Beef like this

3 hours ago, thanat0s said:

We traded him for Trae and the 10th pick. If you paid attention, you’d know that once Dallas was slotted at 9, that was the highest our pick from them was ever going to be. Getting 10 was the second best outcome of that deal. 

Oh, I paid attention. I was the one saying that the late-season winning streak by Dallas could bite us. And it did....much worse than I had expected.

There were great permutations for this pick earlier this year. We didn’t catch any breaks as the season wound down.

If you look at mock drafts right now, the same guys are going #10 as are slipping out of the first round. Clark and Bitadze are two examples of this. That’s a sign of weak talent.

The only consolation I take from these brutal beats is that Schlenk can draft. Overall, this feels like 2013 all again. We had two picks in the teens in a terrible draft, and the Freak went right in front of us. Last night, we lost Zion for sure and, barring trades, almost certainly Hunter and Culver, too. 

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, jidady said:

Oh, I paid attention. I was the one saying that the late-season winning streak by Dallas could bite us. And it did....much worse than I had expected.

There were great permutations for this pick earlier this year. We didn’t catch any breaks as the season wound down.

If you look at mock drafts right now, the same guys are going #10 as are slipping out of the first round. Clark and Bitadze are two examples of this. That’s a sign of weak talent.

The only consolation I take from these brutal beats is that Schlenk can draft. Overall, this feels like 2013 all again. We had two picks in the teens in a terrible draft, and the Freak went right in front of us. Last night, we lost Zion for sure and, barring trades, almost certainly Hunter and Culver, too. 

If Dallas didn't win, they would have ended up at spot 5 ahead of the Hawks to begin with.

Dallas lost the tie breaker for the ping pong balls with Memphis I think.  It would have been much worse of they had gotten pick #2 and we still ended up at #8.

How can we lose something that was never ours to begin with. 4 teams had better odds than us to begin with.

Edited by jayu70

48 minutes ago, jidady said:

Worse? It’s only worse if you don’t like Trae and wanted Doncic. I wouldn’t trade them straight up right now, and now I’ve got Trae AND a top ten pick? I’m loving it. 

37 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

If Dallas didn't win, they would have ended up at spot 5 ahead of the Hawks to begin with.

Dallas lost the tie breaker for the ping pong balls with Memphis I think.  It would have been much worse of they had gotten pick #2 and we still ended up at #8.

How can we lose something that was never ours to begin with. 4 teams had better odds than us to begin with.

Dallas was never picking above us at any point in 2019 without getting lucky with lottery balls. We had a worse record throughout. They were 7 games ahead at the start of the year. It never narrowed to closer than 3 1/2 games. Here was a post from April 2nd that showed the odds at the time:

You will have to click through to see it all, but several sites including Peachtreep Hoops were chronicling odds. We were 2 out of 3 at worst in getting the Dallas pick. To the credit of both teams, neither one tanked, although Dallas management tried.

And I don't agree it would have been much worse if the pick hadn't conveyed this season. As I just said, picking #10 this year is no huge prize. As I indicated last night, I wouldn't be surprised if we deal down since the players are all about the same after #6. Since we're not getting a first rounder from Cleveland either, barring something hugely unlikely, we are in worst case scenario territory today.

12 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

It’s only worse if you don’t like Trae and wanted Doncic.

As this thread shows, I loved Trae more than most on Draft Day last year, but virtually nobody here wanted him straight up over Doncic at the time.

We've gotten lucky with Trae so far, and I hope that we continue to do so. But Luka's PER last year was 19.61. Trae was only at 17.02. The gap was closing down the stretch, but Luka still looks like the better (or, at least, more complete) player.

Metrics suggest that Trae's the worst defender in the NBA, at least among starters. Tristan Thompson and Taurean Prince are the only other players even in the conversation based on this season. Collins is terrible, too. We needed Culver or Hunter to fit our offensive system and carry the load on defense.

2 hours ago, jidady said:

As this thread shows, I loved Trae more than most on Draft Day last year, but virtually nobody here wanted him straight up over Doncic at the time.

We've gotten lucky with Trae so far, and I hope that we continue to do so. But Luka's PER last year was 19.61. Trae was only at 17.02. The gap was closing down the stretch, but Luka still looks like the better (or, at least, more complete) player.

Metrics suggest that Trae's the worst defender in the NBA, at least among starters. Tristan Thompson and Taurean Prince are the only other players even in the conversation based on this season. Collins is terrible, too. We needed Culver or Hunter to fit our offensive system and carry the load on defense.

It’s all opinion. IMO, both Culver and Hunter have roughly the same ceiling as Prince. You believe differently, obviously. 

You say you wanted Trae, but your posts here tell the story of someone who longs for Doncic. Frankly, I was tired of the comparison after a few weeks into the season. There is absolutely no way to judge that trade until the player we get at 10 has played a few years. What if he ends up a star? 

In the end, I’m happy. I’m a Trae guy, and I’ve also got a top ten talent coming in. I don’t really care what kind of player Doncic becomes. 

9 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

They will NOT show the NBA lottery drawing LIVE where they actually pick the order of the teams. What more do you need?  :lol:

I remember when the Golden State Warrior GM said it was fixed waay back when Orlando was able to get Hardaway and Shaq so that the NBA could build that new franchise...

The NBA likes televising it the way they do because it builds suspense. They literally have a 90 minute lead-up on ESPN for a process that could be wrapped up in seconds. If they reveal the live process, interest fizzles out after the first few picks. 

The teams have representatives monitoring the process, so the rigged angle only works if you think all the front offices in the league are conspiring to rig it. And if that's the case, then the draft itself is rigged too. After all, we never get to the actual picking of players. All we see is the commissioner come out and announce who the player is. Could all be fixed by the league, right?! 

They also don't televise league meetings and officiating meetings. Rigged!!!! 

/sarcasm

34 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

It’s all opinion. IMO, both Culver and Hunter have roughly the same ceiling as Prince. You believe differently, obviously. 

You say you wanted Trae, but your posts here tell the story of someone who longs for Doncic. Frankly, I was tired of the comparison after a few weeks into the season. There is absolutely no way to judge that trade until the player we get at 10 has played a few years. What if he ends up a star? 

In the end, I’m happy. I’m a Trae guy, and I’ve also got a top ten talent coming in. I don’t really care what kind of player Doncic becomes. 

With regards to Prince, yes. I think he's a middling NBA player on his best days and a fringe one on the rest of them. I was genuinely hoping that we could find a way to get both Hunter and Culver as lockdown defenders who can contribute on offense. 

As for Doncic, I absolutely wanted the better player. The fact that Trae's made the discussion interesting is to his tremendous credit. As I said several times leading up to last year's draft, Trae had two legit NBA skills, his passing and his shooting. Most NBA players only have one.

I still worried how his body would hold up over the course of an NBA season, given his struggles in the second half of his year at Oklahoma. He proved basically everyone wrong there. He looked fresher than most down the stretch, and that aspect alone gives me a lot of hope. But Donkic looked better on paper and then outplayed Trae as a rookie. 

We needed an impact draft pick make up the difference between the two. Maybe we'll get one. I certainly hope so since I root for the Hawks no matter what. I watched them the last two years even as most people jumped off the bandwagon. But the #10 pick in this draft isn't especially valuable, at least on paper. This year is shallow. Our not picking in the top five feels like a momentous loss right now. I'll happily re-evaluate that after Draft Day.

Posted (edited)

On 5/15/2019 at 5:16 PM, Expert Poster said:

The NBA likes televising it the way they do because it builds suspense. They literally have a 90 minute lead-up on ESPN for a process that could be wrapped up in seconds. If they reveal the live process, interest fizzles out after the first few picks. 

The teams have representatives monitoring the process, so the rigged angle only works if you think all the front offices in the league are conspiring to rig it. And if that's the case, then the draft itself is rigged too. After all, we never get to the actual picking of players. All we see is the commissioner come out and announce who the player is. Could all be fixed by the league, right?! 

They also don't televise league meetings and officiating meetings. Rigged!!!! 

/sarcasm

Edited by slickgadawg