Cole World

Why Kaleb McGary looks like a great pick for the Atlanta Falcons

158 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I won't argue with that but I'm still saying it's not overrated. If I have two guys who meet all the measurements and testing but one has 16 reps and the other has 26 I'm going with the stronger guy.

If all things are equal and one has a higher bench press, then you go with the better metrics, that’s a given.

However if you have two equal players. But one with elite vert and average bench and the other with elite bench and average vert, you got with the vert. It’s much more indicative to explosiveness and functionality than bench press. It’s not a 1 to 1 ratio, but vert shows force, the bench does not.

The bench press is not a true indicator of power. Compound that with functionality issue and it becomes overrated. There’s literally no time in football where you’ll be laying on your back trying to push 225lbs multiple times. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

If all things are equal and one has a higher bench press, then you go with the betrer metrics, that’s a given.

However if you have two equal players. But one with elite vert and average bench and the other with elite bench and average vert, you got with the vert. It’s  much more indicative to explosiveness and functionality than bench press. It’s not a 1 to 1 ratio, but vert shows force, the bench does not.

The bench press is not a true indicator of power. Compound that with functionality issue and it becomes overrated. There’s literally no time in football where you’ll be laying on your back trying to push 225lbs multiple times. 

Again I never said otherwise.

Tim Mazetti likes this

10 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Again I never said otherwise.

Never said you did. Still doesn’t change he fact that it’s overrated because of the aforementioned reasons. 

8 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Never said you did. Still doesn’t change he fact that it’s overrated because of the aforementioned reasons. 

Not overrated but ok dude.

41 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I won't argue with that but I'm still saying it's not overrated. If I have two guys who meet all the measurements and testing but one has 16 reps and the other has 26 I'm going with the stronger guy.

It is overrated though.   You are trying to use bench press as some de facto tie-breaker when the film, the grade, the attitude, off field, and the more predictive analytics are the same or almost the same.   It is just very rare that you get to like the 10th or more tie-breaker.

Bench Press is never going to be the tie breaker.   Now, like I have always said, you cannot have some offensive lineman doing 8-12 reps.  I do think there is some minimum standard but bench press just isn’t a predictive analytic.

Tim Mazetti and Sidecar Falcon like this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

It is overrated though.   You are trying to use bench press as some de facto tie-breaker when the film, the grade, the attitude, off field, and the more predictive analytics are the same or almost the same.   It is just very rare that you get to like the 10th or more tie-breaker.

Bench Press is never going to be the tie breaker.   Now, like I have always said, you cannot have some offensive lineman doing 8-12 reps.  I do think there is some minimum standard but bench press just isn’t a predictive analytic.

I remember you wanted to ignore combine and point to film when it came to Tytus too but you ignored that earlier when I mentioned it.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

I remember you wanted to ignore combine and point to film when it came to Tytus too but you ignored that earlier when I mentioned it.

I hope you are a lawyer - if not, you missed your calling - you love to argue.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

21 bench press at the combine is above the minimum standard ;)

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

^ This

Overrated doesn’t mean irrelevant. The problem is that people think that higher reps of bench equals stronger player, and it’s not really indicative of that. 

g-dawg likes this

28 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I hope you are a lawyer - if not, you missed your calling - you love to argue.

You have to actually win in court. LOL

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

You have to actually win in court. LOL

This is the problem with y'all. You think it's about winning. I'm here to see different points if view and learn about the game.

Tim Mazetti likes this

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

This is the problem with y'all. You think it's about winning. I'm here to see different points if view and learn about the game.

No, you actually aren’t. I’ve seen your previous posts. This thread is pretty much par for the course with you. 

10 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

No, you actually aren’t. I’ve seen your previous posts. This thread is pretty much par for the course with you. 

Lol ok champ. Keep on "winning"

8 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Later sweetie. Next time bring cogent arguments.

And what was I arguing exactly?

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

Not overrated but ok dude.

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

And what was I arguing exactly?

Did you forget?

10 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

What facts dude?

g-dawg:  "Bench Press is a ridiculously overrated stat

Yo-Lover:  "How?"

g-dawg: "I will show you later"

Yo-Lover:  "I look forward to that"

then I give you all the OLineman that have traipsed through the NFL combine the last 3 years and their bench press steps - showing no correlation between bench press and success in the NFL.   

Then all of a sudden:  "I never said...." stuff comes into play.   While you never said it, your standoffish responses indicated a healthy skepticism that bench press was not a relevant stat.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Just now, g-dawg said:

g-dawg:  "Bench Press is a ridiculously overrated stat

Yo-Lover:  "How?"

g-dawg: "I will show you later"

Yo-Lover:  "I look forward to that"

then I give you all the OLineman that have traipsed through the NFL combine the last 3 years and their bench press steps - showing no correlation between bench press and success in the NFL.   

Then all of a sudden:  "I never said...." stuff comes into play.   While you never said it, your standoffish responses indicated a healthy skepticism that bench press was not a relevant stat.

Again I never said high bench press = success. I just said it wasn't overrated. You two are acting like you can completely ignore it when evaluating a player.

Tim Mazetti likes this