Cole World

Why Kaleb McGary looks like a great pick for the Atlanta Falcons

158 posts in this topic

Stats can’t predict injuries and attitude though. Duane Brown was terrible his first 2-3 years,  worse than Sam Baker. I expect McGary to be good but he has the right attitude and competitive toughness DQ looks at in a player. He sounds more nasty than Lindstorm.

27 minutes ago, Cole World said:

In looking at these two picks, it’s pretty clear that they were the result of both scouting and analytics working together to identify quality offensive linemen

Intriguing info. Well done, and thank you for the work. The two first round picks seem like future starters according to the trends in the analytics.

25 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Atlanta Falcons are one of the franchises at the leading edge of analytics in the NFL, as they have both a Vice President of Technology, Data and Analytics (Karl Pierburg) and a Football Analytics Coordinator (John Taormina). And the fingerprints of an objective look at what matters in offensive linemen is there, if you know where to look.

And vertical is a precursor for success. Just damm. I toast the Falcons' FO.

34 minutes ago, Cole World said:

When you look at the combine profiles of McGary coupled with Lindstrom, I don’t think it is any accident that these are players the franchise targeted. (I suspect they would have also been fine with Andre Dillard.) Lindstrom just put up one of the best broad jumps of any guard prospect, and his athletic profile looks like that of an elite tackle prospect. Atlanta targeted these players, and they fit the profile of guys who have worked out in the past.

Love your work.

Thank you for this.

g-dawg, Cole World and high impact like this

My goodness Cole.....now this is a quality post.....Thank you.

Makes me feel much better about our 1st round draft picks.  

I just do now know how we can miss the playoffs this year.

Top 5 offense, and Quinn taking over the defense.....can not wait for the season to start.

That’s good stuff Cole.

I’m sure our message board faction that didn’t like one or both of the picks also weighed this information in their post draft analysis  :rolleyes:

After the draft and some were freaking out about the scouting profiles on McGary, I knew dam well TD and his scouting department spent an intensive amount of time and resources scouting OL and to pay little attention to those draft profiles. 

1 hour ago, duckhoa said:

My goodness Cole.....now this is a quality post.....Thank you.

Makes me feel much better about our 1st round draft picks.  

I just do now know how we can miss the playoffs this year.

Top 5 offense, and Quinn taking over the defense.....can not wait for the season to start.

I can second that.. 

If this was their plan I'd be very impressed. Wanted DT/DE, but I love good sound logic and am always willing to reconsider my position when presented with it. 

Great,  work Cole

22 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Great,  work Cole

Mathematics is the new player evaluation tool? Who would have thought of the

vertical as key?

Gotta love these researchers.

Stryka and Cole World like this

30 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

If this was their plan I'd be very impressed. Wanted DT/DE, but I love good sound logic and am always willing to reconsider my position when presented with it. 

Thank you.

Another thinker in a world where ..............

MD-FalconFan13 likes this

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Mathematics is the new player evaluation tool? Who would have thought of the vertical as key?

Gotta love these researchers.

Not me, I marginalized vertical and placed more weight on the bench!

This is why I don’t experience thermonuclear meltdowns on draft day if my guys weren't picked or if some draft magazine had Keanu Neal going later in draft.

Well, I should say I don’t “personally” experience them, I do witness them each year!

Stryka and Tim Mazetti like this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

No me, I completely dismissed vertical and placed more weight on the bench!

This is why I don’t experience thermonuclear meltdowns on draft day if my guys were picked or if some draft magazine had Keanu Neal going later in draft.

Well, I should say I don’t “personally” experience them, I do witness them each year!

The FO is on it. This is a good time to be a Falcon fan, as were the last 11 years.

How long has this evaluation tool been in place? Seems like a few years.

FalconJim, high impact and gazoo like this

Thanks so much for posting the information!! :tiphat: Glad to see some positive info on our O-line picks. I am getting more excited to see how this new line plays. I am sure they will have some bumps along they way. It takes some time for the line to work well as a unit. 

I myself am a happy man that they are trying to make sure the O-line is no longer the Falcons biggest weakness!! :D

Cole World and Tim Mazetti like this

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

That’s good stuff Cole.

I’m sure our message board faction that didn’t like one or both of the picks also weighed this information in their post draft analysis  :rolleyes:

After the draft and some were freaking out about the scouting profiles on McGary, I knew dam well TD and his scouting department spent an intensive amount of time and resources scouting OL and to pay little attention to those draft profiles. 

I think your argument is off base.  While there may have been questions of how “Mudd’ing” translates to our ZBS with regards to Kaleb, the issue was never the players.  Just the fact that defense was ignored until Round 4 and we sacrificed our 3rd to move up

ATLFalcons11 likes this

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I think your argument is off base.  While there may have been questions of how “Mudd’ing” translates to our ZBS with regards to Kaleb, the issue was never the players.  Just the fact that defense was ignored until Round 4 and we sacrificed our 3rd to move up

Matt Ryan having time to eat a sandwich while his WR's break free....Priceless

I like the pick more and more I read and really think we could be on to something with McGary but I want to see the goods on the field and refuse to pump myself up beyond cautious optimism.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

That’s good stuff Cole.

It was high time the Falcons showed some OL focus in first two round. All those high defensive draft picks over the years didn’t  have as much impact of protecting Ryan and running the ball. I don’t think there was any impact player left after 14 to make this D win games. This team goes as far as the offense goes.

gazoo, Rhodaric, Tim Mazetti and 1 other like this

3 minutes ago, citsalp said:

Matt Ryan having time to eat a sandwich while his WR's break free....Priceless

he may even cook and eat. 

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

The FO is on it. This is a good time to be a Falcon fan, as were the last 11 years.

How long has this evaluation tool been in place? Seems like a few years.

It sure is Tim, awesome times for us long time falcons fans!

FalconJim and Tim Mazetti like this

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

I read this before, I agree something about the vertical makes better NFL players as well as the broad jump. 

Shows how much power they can generate. It's the exact reason why I knew Jamaal Anderson was going to bust. His vert was pathetic. 

slick0ne and Tim Mazetti like this