jlrfalcon

Can We Really Hope to Bring Back 2016? or at least for 2 players?

20 posts in this topic

There are a lot of new pieces on this team this year (2019) plus a lot of pillars we depend on still in place.  Ryan, Julio, Debo, Mack, Grady, Matthews, Devondre, Sanu, and even Bosher are all still here from 2016 and few are looking for them to have performances far below their 2016 levels.  Neal and Allen are coming back from injuries with Kazee as a great insurance policy on them.  Trufant was there for part of 2016 but his offset is now a youngster we really know little about but again Kazee might save us here. Our reliable kicker Bryant has now been replaced by Tavecchio who everyone assumes is good based on a couple of great games last year.  And, our line now seems to be flooded with a bunch of new guys of which hopefully 3 can take over as starters.

There are 2 big spots, though, where we are being told to expect 2016 performances from that are not so certain:

RB-Devonta Freeman - the guy was great in 2016, but if he does go down again in 2019, can we count on a rookie or a young Ito to replace him?

DE-Vic Beasley - he was also great in 2016, but looked like a joke the last 2 years.  However, he is being overpaid now with promises he can be coached back up.

Are we basically putting the 2019 season on the hope that Freeman/Beasley return to 2016 levels?  If both end up failing, should we just assume the whole team will fail in 2019?  Is there really backup for them if they do not live up to 2016 levels?  Are these vital positions?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No 2016 was 2016 I give a repeat performance like that by our team about 1 maybe 2 chances out of 10.

2019 team needs to find its own identity.We may do something’s similar better and worse is some parts but repeating it is a tall order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

No 2016 was 2016 I give a repeat performance like that by our team about 1 maybe 2 chances out of 10.

2019 team needs to find its own identity.We may do something’s similar better and worse is some parts but repeating it is a tall order.

2016 we didn't necessarily get hot until week 13 or so. The offense was hot with the exception of 4 games maybe. We just gotta hope we finish hot! Our defense finished hot in 2017 but our Sark was a moron at times and we couldn't score more than 10 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can be less explosive but more balanced which could make us even better than 2016.  People forget we lost 6 times that year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

There are a lot of new pieces on this team this year (2019) plus a lot of pillars we depend on still in place.  Ryan, Julio, Debo, Mack, Grady, Matthews, Devondre, Sanu, and even Bosher are all still here from 2016 and few are looking for them to have performances far below their 2016 levels.  Neal and Allen are coming back from injuries with Kazee as a great insurance policy on them.  Trufant was there for part of 2016 but his offset is now a youngster we really know little about but again Kazee might save us here. Our reliable kicker Bryant has now been replaced by Tavecchio who everyone assumes is good based on a couple of great games last year.  And, our line now seems to be flooded with a bunch of new guys of which hopefully 3 can take over as starters.

There are 2 big spots, though, where we are being told to expect 2016 performances from that are not so certain:

RB-Devonta Freeman - the guy was great in 2016, but if he does go down again in 2019, can we count on a rookie or a young Ito to replace him?

DE-Vic Beasley - he was also great in 2016, but looked like a joke the last 2 years.  However, he is being overpaid now with promises he can be coached back up.

Are we basically putting the 2019 season on the hope that Freeman/Beasley return to 2016 levels?  If both end up failing, should we just assume the whole team will fail in 2019?  Is there really backup for them if they do not live up to 2016 levels?  Are these vital positions?

 

Dude we resigned Hageman. Were putting the band back together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

No 2016 was 2016 I give a repeat performance like that by our team about 1 maybe 2 chances out of 10.

2019 team needs to find its own identity.We may do something’s similar better and worse is some parts but repeating it is a tall order.

I'd love a mashup of 2012 and 2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about 2016 that people forget...is that no one realized just how good we were (outside of Falcons fans).

We kind of snuck up on the #2 seed.  Then people thought SEA and GB would come into The Dome and beat us.  We destroyed them.  I remember Peter King simply being befuddled that we had opened up a 24-0 at halftime against GB.

For the most part, I think the moment everyone started to realize we were badass, it was about 28-3 in the 3rd quarter

The point I’m making is that I think we can be dominant from the getgo.  Game 1. Quarter 1.  We have the personnel.  We’ve just got to bring it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be perfectly fine with pretty much lucking our way into a 2019 Super Bowl. The ball always bouncing our way. Them dropping wide open game winners and missing 15 yard chip shot FGs to beat us. Just win baby. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FalconBlood said:

I would be perfectly fine with pretty much lucking our way into a 2019 Super Bowl. The ball always bouncing our way. Them dropping wide open game winners and missing 15 yard chip shot FGs to beat us. Just win baby. Lol.

Yeah it would be a welcome change.

FalconBlood likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We can be less explosive but more balanced which could make us even better than 2016.  People forget we lost 6 times that year

Balance and explosive aren’t mutually exclusive. You can be balanced and explosive. Explosive just means hitting big plays downfield of 20+ yards. You can do that being a run heavy team. We were explosive with turner. But we wanted to become a passing team because of Matt Ryan so we needed a Julio to be more explosive downfield. Take the top off of defenses. But the word explosive doesn’t have anything to do with balance. The cowboys of the 90’s were balanced yet explosive with big plays downfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Balance and explosive aren’t mutually exclusive. You can be balanced and explosive. Explosive just means hitting big plays downfield of 20+ yards. You can do that being a run heavy team. We were explosive with turner. But we wanted to become a passing team because of Matt Ryan so we needed a Julio to be more explosive downfield. Take the top off of defenses. But the word explosive doesn’t have anything to do with balance. The cowboys of the 90’s were balanced yet explosive with big plays downfield. 

I agree.  My point was it’s not likely people will be schemed wide open for massive yac.  

But we can still have a great offense with a bit more TOP than 2016. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I agree.  My point was it’s not likely people will be schemed wide open for massive yac.  

But we can still have a great offense with a bit more TOP than 2016. 

Part of the reason we were explosive in the passing game in 2016 is because we were also explosive in the running game. We had a lot of runs go for 10+ yards then, which teams had to respect which opened up the play action passing.

FalconsIn2012 and Schwarzwald like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FalconBlood said:

I would be perfectly fine with pretty much lucking our way into a 2019 Super Bowl. The ball always bouncing our way. Them dropping wide open game winners and missing 15 yard chip shot FGs to beat us. Just win baby. Lol.

f7FdEdG.png

FalconBlood likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone expecting Freeman to make it past 3 games without landing on IR is deluding themselves. Luckily I thunk our rookie can be our feature back and we have a few more weapons at RB depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

Anyone expecting Freeman to make it past 3 games without landing on IR is deluding themselves. Luckily I thunk our rookie can be our feature back and we have a few more weapons at RB depth.

Make a bet he makes it past 3 games? Make a bet he doesn’t go on IR at all? Put up or shut up?? 2 bets. If he makes it 3 games  without going on IR you stay off the board for the rest of the season? If he doesn’t make it I’ll go away for the rest of the season. Put up or shut tha f*ck up about our players being injured and putting that bad energy in the universe??!! Show us all how delusional we are by standing by your word? Show us how much you believe what comes out of your mouth?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I agree.  My point was it’s not likely people will be schemed wide open for massive yac.  

But we can still have a great offense with a bit more TOP than 2016. 

That’s really the point of any offense. To get somebody wide open for massive yac.  Especially a wco. What coordinator doesn’t want to put his star players in position to make big plays. What coordinator in their right mind wouldn’t try to isolate a Julio Jones or a Calvin Ridley and let them run with the ball? Who wouldn’t get Free or Ito the ball out the backfield with Hooper clearing out a linebacker so they can have chunk yardage? You best believe we will have ppl wide open. It’s too much talent and you CANNOT leave Julio in single coverage all day. And if you double him you leave everybody ekes in a 1 on 1. Team is too talented with a top 5 qb to not have plays somebody is wide open. 

Schwarzwald likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing about that 16 team was that maybe we are a little too good on offense which in turn made our defense very tired at the end of games. I still remember alot of games where teams would always come back on us. We would score so fast. Plus that year our defense was horrible too. So it wasn't all sunshine. Yeah but that offense ....

Never seen anything like it jack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is turning into a power running game, heavy play action type of team.  Similar to 2008 where Matt Ryan had a lot of success.  Thank goodness, because the crap we did the past 2 years is worthless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now