Champford

Life In a NFL Draft Room

32 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Ed Oliver and Cody Ford with their first two picks? Then get Devin Singletary and Vosean Joseph? Clinic.

I like Knox too. Bills had my favorite draft. Broncos close second.

That was awesome to watch. I seem to remember the Falcons doing something similar a few years back.

Some takeaways from me.

1. The draft is such a collaborative process. The GM's the guy who makes the ultimate decision, but there so much more that goes into it.

2. Both these teams were clearly targetting certain guys - there was no hanging around letting the board fall to them and taking BPA. First and foremost they are looking to maneuver around the board to get those 'underlined' guys that they've targetted going in. 

3. Team fits from both a scheme perspective and culture perspective matter. Teams would rather get a guy that fits what they do as a team than a guy the media will laud then for getting.

Flying Falcon and Champford like this

I loved what the Bills did. Ed Oliver was a top 5 player in this draft that can become the focal point of that defense. Getting Ford in the 2nd was trememdous value. Dawson Knox was a guy I was really high on - he was TE #3 on my board.

Ergo Proxy and Flying Falcon like this

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Ed Oliver and Cody Ford with their first two picks? Then get Devin Singletary and Vosean Joseph? Clinic.

The Bills picked five slots ahead of us.  Had we lost one of those meaningless games at the end of last season, we probably would have picked ahead of them.  We probably would have chosen Oliver and moved to get an OL, so the Bills did not outsmart us.  They just had better opportunities.  

We ended up with two very good OL prospects that could finally stabilize the right side of the OL for the next decade.  

Let's see.

Osiruz, JeffAtl, MAD597 and 2 others like this

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Very good draft 

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

The Bills picked five slots ahead of us.  Had we lost one of those meaningless games at the end of last season, we probably would have picked ahead of them.  We probably would have chosen Oliver and moved to get an OL, so the Bills did not outsmart us.  They just had better opportunities.  

We ended up with two very good OL prospects that could finally stabilize the right side of the OL for the next decade.  

Let's see.

Had we rolled over and tanked like TATF Tanker boys wanted us to, we still probably panic and trade away our 2nd and 3rd, so I ain't buyin it. Tankin is for losers. Tank on tanker.

12 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Had we rolled over and tanked like TATF Tanker boys wanted us to, we still probably panic and trade away our 2nd and 3rd, so I ain't buyin it. Tankin is for losers. Tank on tanker.

I don’t get why people think tanking is a option . Nobody wants to lose .

2 minutes ago, Champford said:

Majority of the pro "tank" crowd dosen't actually think that the players whould throw the game. They're just cheering for a loss.

Just now, Champford said:

Those losers want to tank in a no tankin league. No NFL team ever tanks. Not even the Suck for Luck Colts who started out 0-13 and finished 2-1.

Ergo Proxy and Champford like this

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Rigggght

19 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think so too...

Falcons wouldn't release it, because you would see how demoralized they are when all their targets are gone, then scramble to find a player in a need position. 

2 hours ago, The Rock said:

Falcons wouldn't release it, because you would see how demoralized they are when all their targets are gone, then scramble to find a player in a need position. 

Lmao true 

52 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Playing at the 1T or 3T I think either way Ed Oliver will get swallowed up in the run game. 

Luckily for the Bills teams throw at an almost 2 to 1 ratio and finding a solid run plugger like Davidson can be had for the leauge minimum. 

5 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Luckily for the Bills teams throw at an almost 2 to 1 ratio and finding a solid run plugger like Davidson can be had for the leauge minimum. 

True. I hope we don’t have to pass at that ratio. Can’t have enough run support.

Posted (edited)

I guarantee you, if they wanted Ed Oliver, and they didn’t get him, the video wouldn’t show it.

Take 2! “Wow! Christian Wilkins fell to 9! High five! Everyone!”

if they missed on their actual target Cody Ford the video would not let us know. Ha.

Awesome! “We got Dalton Risner here! Amazing! Just what we always wanted! High five!”

But that video of fail would be even better than these seemingly success stories.

”**** It! Everything is going wrong! **** the freaking Lions man! They won’t even know how to use Ed! **** It all!”

Edited by FalconBlood

58 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

Bills once got Shaq Lawson + Reggie Ragland. These message boards could not have been more jealous. We drafted Neal and Jones.

Bills are probably rather jealous.

Yeah, if a draft looks good based on message board rankings I'm always concerned. Especially with a team like the Bills. 

1 hour ago, FalconBlood said:

I guarantee you, if they wanted Ed Oliver, and they didn’t get him, the video wouldn’t show it.

Take 2! “Wow! Christian Wilkins fell to 9! High five! Everyone!”

if they missed on their actual target Cody Ford the video would not let us know. Ha.

Awesome! “We got Dalton Risner here! Amazing! Just what we always wanted! High five!”

But that video of fail would be even better than these seemingly success stories.

”**** It! Everything is going wrong! **** the freaking Lions man! They won’t even know how to use Ed! **** It all!”

Yes. The more entertaining video would be the ones where the GMs didn't get the guys they wanted cause someone else took them ahead of their spot. 

Can't do that to the psyches of rookies though. 

FalconBlood and Ergo Proxy like this